Subaru Outback Forums banner

Rest in Peace faithful one.

3K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  greta2017 
#1 ·
Driving home from work on the back roads my wife hit a donkey with her 2017 Outback Limited with 40,000 miles.
She is ok, and was taken to the hospital and checked out.
Today she is sore.
She does however, say how much she really loved how the Subaru protected her.
She said she remembers seeing the donkey and then everything turned white.
That would have been the airbags. She says she didn't know the Subaru had that many airbags.
Waiting on the adjuster and total price they will give us, but I am sure we will be shopping for a 2020 Outback Limited soon.
I see the new ones have a turbo engine. I thought turbos would wear out the engine sooner.
Should we get the regular 4 cyl or get the turbo?
Here are some some of the last pics of Greta as she was loaded up on the tow truck.

See less See more
#3 ·
Good to hear the car safety systems did their job and your wife is sore but OK.

If you purchase a Turbo Subaru new AND do all the scheduled maintenance, you will have very little trouble with the vehicle.

Seagrass

#4 ·
Should we get the regular 4 cyl or get the turbo?
Here are some some of the last pics of Greta as she was loaded up on the tow truck.
Glad she's ok. The new Outback has an even stronger chassis. I have the 2020 Outback Turbo and love it. It's my 3rd turbo Subaru and my 5th turbo vehicle overall. Never had a problem with any of the turbo motors. The turbo also comes with the high torque/heavy duty transmission like the 3.6 did.

Reactions: Flood1913
#7 ·
Airbag deployment is almost always an instant total by the insurance company.

From the photos and mileage, it will most likely live another day. Insurance company will total it. It will be sold at some Copart auction, repaired, receive a scrubbed title and sold to some unsuspecting person at a third tier auto dealer.

#9 ·
My wife said that it happened so fast, she doesn't think the car had time to react. If it did, it probably didn't slow down much.
Doesn't the car stop automatically after the airbags go off?
She said she remembers seeing the three donkeys and then everything went white.
The car died on impact. She tried to get the engine started to move off the road but it was dead. She was finally able to get the flashers on because she was in a dark canyon area and didn't want to get hit by a car.
She was also disappointed that no one stopped. They saw the car sitting there in the middle of the road crunched and all the airbags deployed and no one stopped to check on her.
Good thing there was Starlink. They called her and got the police and ambulance there right away.
The tow truck driver couldn't get the car out of gear and they had to drag it up the ramp of the tow truck.
Looking at new Subaru Outbacks in our area, being so late in the model year, I pray we can find one we like with all the features in it and don't have to settle with something we don't like.
My wife says she may end up going with a Forester if that happens. She says she sits higher in the Forester.

#10 ·
My wife says she may end up going with a Forester if that happens. She says she sits higher in the Forester.
The Forester does have better visibility all-round. The 2020 Outback's rear-side visibility is worse in the back than the previous generation. The rear and side windows are slightly smaller because of rising belt-line in the back. Aside from the Forester though, the 2020 Outback still has superior visibility all-round compared to competitors.

#13 ·
The accident was in San Timoteo Canyon near Redlands. I used to live down there 45 years ago, and there were no donkeys running around. I hear they have come from Reche Canyon over the years which is several miles to the west.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.