Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Outback Legacy, EJ25D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in 2015, after a successful journey through my '99 OBW replacing a broken valve stem (weird right?) and replacing the HGs along with all the other work one does when deep into it (THANKS to you wonderfully thorough diy posters!), I decided to buy a friend's '00 OBW when he was about to scrap it based on a mechanic's estimate that the HG replacement, etc would cost over $4k. It has much nicer trim, less cosmetic damage, and fewer miles than my '99, which is still running beautifully, btw. Plus I figured the sohc had to be easier than the dohc! This would make all the tools and time I invested pay off! So I towed it to my mom's garage and spent a couple days removing stuff.

This time I decided to pull the engine because last time tilting the tranny from side to side to access the heads was such a PITA, and because this motor and engine bay are incredibly grimy. So I kept putting off the job to align life circumstances (I don't work/live in same town as my mom), favorable weather, and an available engine hoist to borrow. Somehow 4 years have passed this way, and my incredibly tolerant mom is finally going to get her garage back! I'm going to show her my gratitude by insulating and drywalling her garage after the car is out.

My question: What are all the other points I should check/flush/clean/re-condition/replace now that it's been sitting for so long?
Thank you!!

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
12,835 Posts
Has it been on jack stands?

Drivetrain: trans fluid and both diffs

Brake fluid. It's got a lot of moisture in the system and water has settled in the calipers and ABS pump.

PS is up to you. If it's murky, change it. Change out the o-ring at the feed hose connector. Keep an eye on the rack for leaks after it's running.

Check all the ground cables and the positive cable for corrosion/rust. Clean/replace as needed.

Fuel filter. And if the fuel is at 1/4 or more, poor in 2 bottles of regular rubbing alcohol to help break up water that may be in the tank. At your first fill up, I'd go with high octane and add in a bottle of B12 Chemtool to break up varnish in the fuel system.

If it's got a lot of miles, you may want to put in a new AF sensor. Or you could wait to see how the computer reacts.

Beyond that, there's wheel bearings and suspension parts. The bearings may start making noise if the car has been sitting on the wheels and the bushings will have "flat" spots. You may also want to spray down all the bolts/nuts on the front and rear with PB Blaster in preparation for any replacement or an alignment.

New tires are also a budget item. 4 years sitting or running, added to the age of the tires before it was parked means they're rotted. The car may shake and vibrate when you drive it due to the tires' condition.

Dust and dirt settling inside the car, along with moisture from the air, tends to make switches act up. Windows, locks, cruise control on the steering wheel, AC and fan. If they act up, clean them before replacing. I had a Subaru that sat for a little over 3 years and the driver window wouldn't work. Smacked the door panel with my hand and it started working and has been working ever since. ?

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
400 Posts
Defintely new battery, change all fluids listed above and grease anything you can. If you can drain or syphon the tank I would to start fresh but otherwise seafoam for sure for at least 2 tanks IMO. Let the car run for a while and drive it nice and easy to start paying close attention to noises.

Check calipers and make sure they aren't seized or dragging. New wipers, im sure the old ones dried out by now. Check tires for cracks and re air to proper PSI and see if they hold it for a day or two.

Check the air filter and cabin air fiter, Inspect all over for signs of rodents in the air system.

·
Registered
1999 Outback Legacy, EJ25D
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you SO much @cardoc and @Wiscoutback87! These are more than I had on my amateur checklist. Only the front end has been lifted so only a little weight is on the front wheels, but I will definitely check the back bearings and PB blast suspension and alignment points.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts