Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum and apologize if this topic has been covered, as I suspect it has.
This summer I bought a 2017 Outback with the standard Radio/CD/backup camera unit. I am thinking about upgrading this unit to allow me to use Apple CarPlay and Sirius/XM satellite radio. Several people have told me that aftermarket units by Pioneer and Kenwood can be installed in an Outback to achieve this. I'm told that the Subaru backup camera as well as the steering wheel stereo control functionality can be preserved with both of these units if the correct wire harnesses are used.

Any 2017 Outback owners do this yet? If so, did you have good results?

Please tell me anything you know about this retrofit. Thanks so much for your help!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
Your current radio should be XM capable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just want to piggyback onto this thread because I am curious about the same thing. Also own a 2017 Outback and really don't like the stock entertainment system and wanted to be able to upgrade to Apple Carplay. I have the version with navigation though so that may add an additional layer of complexity. Hopefully you find something out soon, or have you had it done yet??

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6R Limited, '05 Forester
121 Posts
I haven't changed the entertainment system on my Outback but I have on two previous cars. For that, I contacted Crutchfield using both the Instant Messaging on the website and also phoning them.

I found the people there very knowledgeable including helping with the specific wiring harness or customization I needed for my particular car.

Just looking on their website, there are 56 possibilities with Apple CarPlay or 40 with Android Auto for my 2017 3.6R Limited. I'm sure you can find something that'll fit your budget and requirements.

Note: I am not affiliated with Crutchfield - just a happy customer.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Limited 3.6R
75 Posts
I would be very interested to see if anybody has done this as well. I have a 16 outback 3.6, and the one thing I wish I had was apple car play.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts