Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is interesting. I’m curious to see if the new US administration resets the $7500 federal tax credit for manufacturers like Tesla that have exceeded the sales cap.

Also noteworthy is the fact that it would make a Model 3 SR+ drop from its sticker 37,990 by 12,500 to 25,990. And, it drops the sticker on the Y SR from 41,990 to 29,490. If that comes to fruition I might have to think about that one hard.

Anyway, found it neat regardless.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rather than posting a new thread I figured I’d update this one.

Sounds like Congress is trying to push through more EV and Green incentives which would restore a $7000 tax credit for the next 400,000 units for the manufacturers that have exceeded the quota.

Combining this with the state EV discount of $5000, and no sales tax for an EV sale, this becomes interesting.

That would reduce the sticker price of the $39000 Model Y SR by $12000, reducing the cost to $27000. Given the same 60 month financing, it would reduce my payments from the low 600’s I pay for my Onyx down to $450 before interest. At 4% for 60, it would add about $50/month. That’s still over $100 less than my Onyx finance, and then I’d save on my fuel cost as well, which has been more than expected.

For reference:
Averaging 18 mpg. Drive 12k per year. That’s 667 gallons of fuel per year.

At current price of $2.50: 1667/year
At future price of $3.00: 2000
At future price of $3.50: 2337.

Estimating around 3 miles per kWh in the Model Y. That seems to be on the lower side, even in winter. With moderate climate management and reasonable highway speeds, you are closer to 4 mile per kWh.

Current price 0.17 per kWh.
12000 miles at 3 mpkWh - 4000 kWh
$680 per year

12000 miles at 4 mpkWh - 3000 kWh
$510 per year.

Even assuming an increase to 0.20 per kWh, still is $800 at 3 mpkWh.

No oil changes every 3000 miles (turbo severe service) saves another $75 x4 per year. No major 30k and 60k service. Calling the brakes and rotors savings a wash due to Increased tire wear.

Getting harder and harder to resist.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy crap!

The Electric Cars Act changes three important things in the federal tax credit program:
  • Eliminating the per manufacturer cap, allowing consumers access to the tax credit for the next 10 years, regardless of the manufacturer from which they purchase their car;
  • Allowing buyers to use the tax credit over a five-year period, or apply the credit on the spot at the dealership to reduce the price of the vehicle, making the credit more applicable to those without large tax liability; and
  • Providing a 10-year extension of tax credits for alternative fuel vehicles and charging infrastructure to incentivize the buildout of this important infrastructure around the country.

• An even more generous electric car federal tax credit reform is being proposed - Electrek

1 - 3 of 3 Posts