Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a reverse light water leak for a while and it's gotten worse. So I did some searching and stumbled across the gasket part number - 84940AG010. Only problem is, it's discontinued. I've never run into this before with a replacement OEM part, so what are my options? I can't seem to even find it on eBay or non-dealership places. I'm thinking my only option is to hit the local junkyard and hope a trashed Outback's gaskets are better than mine.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
These guys say they have it in stock @ Subaru 84940AG010 PACKING-BACK UP LAMP. I've used that company plenty for Subaru parts with good results.
Thanks for vouching, I actually did see that but didn't give it more than a couple minutes' thought. I went ahead and ordered 2 from them, and just ate the shipping fee. Saves me time at a junkyard!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I ran into the same problem about a month ago. I tried ordering from the same company and was unsuccessful. They were unresponsive. I ended up ordering a few pairs from https://jp-carparts.com/ . Their customer service was impressive. They responded quickly and I received my order from Japan to the United States very timely.

·
Registered
2005 Subaru Outback 3.0R
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I ran into the same problem about a month ago. I tried ordering from the same company and was unsuccessful. They were unresponsive. I ended up ordering a few pairs from https://jp-carparts.com/ . Their customer service was impressive. They responded quickly and I received my order from Japan to the United States very timely.
Uh oh, thank you for the heads up. Did you have to chargeback for a refund from Amayama or did they just not charge you in the first place?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I never even got that far. I got a message saying that they had to check their stock and after a couple of weeks and several emails to them with no response I gave up. Sounds like you had better luck than I did.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,552 Posts
There are plenty of gasket maker materials available at the corner hardware store, and in the case of the Gen 3 backup lights, there are several advantages over the usual kind of applications these materials are used for:
  1. They're not subjected to any significant kind of pressure.
  2. Only the interior portion of the gasket has any kind of tolerance to it.
  3. First order, the material thickness doesn't matter a lot.
  4. They are (mostly) flat.
I'd just simply pay them a visit and ask for help selecting what is appropriate, get a sharp scissors, X-Acto knife, or fine tooth scroll saw blade (if you have one), and have at it.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Not sure if necessary for installing these gaskets but, be careful removing the nuts/bolts holding on the rear gate garnish trim piece. If vehicle has been in the rust belt, these nuts are usually rusted to the bolts and the plastic tabs retaining the captive bolts are brittle and usually break. This then causes the seal at the top of the rear gate garnish to leak into the rear gate and reverse light housings. Ask me how I know... Fix is either replacing the gate garnish piece or figuring out a way to glue in new bolts.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
1,265 Posts
I fixed mine years ago with 3m window weld. Its a roll of black sticky gasket material. No leaks since.

Reactions: kevin.nocom
1 - 14 of 14 Posts