Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through the threads but not have found any regarding my current situation.

Car: 2000 Outback Limited 2.5L AWD approx 148K Purchased April 2012

CV Axles were "popping" my husband took his sweet time getting around to replacing them, he fixed the front drivers side but had not gotten around to the passenger side when I had catastrophic transmission failure.

Mechanic said old tranny probably tore up differential because of axle and wouldn't be worth it to rebuild, so we took the old tranny out and put in a used tranny, filter and ATF looked clean as if it had recently been replaced.

Got car back and bad news, it hesitates when you put it in reverse and try to back up. I also noticed it hesitates a bit at stop lights and stop signs. Reverse is worse than anything.

Took car back to mechanic and he is going to drain the new fluid he put in and replace it with synthetic. Also said the reverse issue was differential issue not tranny issue?

I read the thread regarding ATF and Trans X. My question is would this fix the reverse issue or is reverse completely different from the forward motion tranny problems?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
the trans-x may not fix it , but it will not hurt, it only costs $10 andf it might help. you have nothing to lose.

i would not mess with the synthetic fluid. i would just add the trans-x, and see. it is cheaper than a full fluid swap.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts