Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Subaru Outback Wagon, 2.5L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doh! I was so pleased with myself for changing the oil on both my 01 Outback and my wifes 04 Forester until I realized I had reversed the oil filters and put the foresters filter on the outback and viceversa. But seriously, they both fit nice and snug and they seem to be driving fine. Do I need to switch them or can I drive on them for another 3-5K? Both EJ25s.

·
Registered
2005 LL Bean
138 Posts
Size isn't everything. Filters can also have different relief valve pressures, flow rates and filtration. I'd try to swap them just to be sure. You should be able to do it without much loss. They are different parts for a reason. If Subaru (or whomever made the filters you bought) could have used the same filter, they probably would have. It cost money for them to source, package and stock a complete separate part with a different number and usually it isn't for no reason. It may be fine, but how are you going to know until something happens?

·
Registered
5 Posts
What colors are the cars? :D

Edit: Subaru Online Parts would sell you the same filter for both cars, Fram would sell you the same filter for both cars, Purolator has different filters. Purolator filters are different outer diameter, and the relief valve P.S.I.

Is there a difference in the filters in the brand you bought?

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, 5.7 Hemi, Tow IV Package
589 Posts
I would agree that if the filters are different part numbers than it would be wise to switch them. Manufacturers strive to streamline manufacturing to save costs. Ford was able to do that for a while. My moms Lincoln, my dads F150 and the boar all took the same oil and filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts