Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new to me 2008 XT has an LED headlight conversion for the low beams and he says a 3000k HID for the fog lights.

They both seem to suck. I'm less concerned right now with the Fogs but I would like to go back to stock for the headlights. I've attached a photo of the rear of the headlight. It looks like a hole was cut into the rear plastic cover.

Can anyone tell from the photo whether the wiring was messed with?

What would I need to go back to a stock setup?

Thanks, Jerry

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Outback R LL Bean 3.0 H6 w/ 5 speed sport shift
597 Posts
My new to me 2008 XT has an LED headlight conversion for the low beams and he says a 3000k HID for the fog lights.

They both seem to suck. I'm less concerned right now with the Fogs but I would like to go back to stock for the headlights. I've attached a photo of the rear of the headlight. It looks like a hole was cut into the rear plastic cover.

Can anyone tell from the photo whether the wiring was messed with?

What would I need to go back to a stock setup?

Thanks, Jerry
That looks like heat shield wrap stuffed in the socket?
You're probably going to have to get that out of the way and see if the "socket" will twist to unlock and then inspect. If the socket has been butchered, you may have some luck finding a new one on the forum since the light assemblies that have been replaced should have good sockets.....

I may actually have something in a week or so - as I'm getting ready to purchase both headlight assemblies.
You may need to replace the sockets on the harness, if so, I may have someone you could contact who's parting out an 06 OB.

Get a better look and let's see what you actually need.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
This shouldn't be too bad.

The woven wire web is a heat sink- it's just there to conduct heat off the back of the LED into underhood air.

The grey plastic dust caps have been modified with a hole saw to allow the LED heatsink to protrude. Stock bulbs are much smaller and fit entirely under that cap. Note- the cap is specifically there to seal the back of the enclosure, to prevent dust, water & insect contamination into the buckets & lens assemblies. With this long-term exposure, they could be fairly scummed up. $250 or so gets you new aftermarket buckets these days. You could patch the caps, order new ones or score some from a junkyard.

I can't tell if the stock lamp connector block is still there- it could be under that electrical tape appearing just off your ring finger in the photo. It looks like they just drew the stock lamp wire out of the hole in the dust cap, plugged it onto the LED adapter pod and taped over it to keep it tight.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,113 Posts
Here's a great video on replacing the low beam bulb on a 2005; your 2006 would be similar. It shows all of the pieces attaching the bulb inside that plastic cup, as well as the wire harness itself.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/80-electrical-electronics/406618-2005-2009-low-beam-headlight-bulb-changing.html#post4660714

I would be concerned about that wire bail that locks the bulb in place, it is indeed fragile as the video cautions.

That plastic cup is available and not expensive at all ($5.16 each side, item 13 in this image).

https://parts.subaruonlineparts.com/auto-parts/2006/subaru/outback/2-5i-trim/2-5l-h4-gas-engine/electrical-cat/headlamp-components-scat

But if enough things are messed up, consider just finding some replacement lamp assemblies at a reclaim yard, as yours have gone quite a while without being sealed. There's a reason for that plastic cover, and also that it's O-ringed - you don't want any moisture in there. You will still have to deal with the connector, of course, but that could be cut off and spliced in from a good harness, or new parts purchased (item 21 in second link).CORRECTION: I looked this morning; the harness to the bulbs is a short wire harness connectorized on both ends and therefore not needing to be spliced. One end goes to the low beam bulb on the inside of the rear plastic cup, the other end is fed out of the headlight assembly to the side and connects into the main harness right there. This allows easy removal of the entire headlamp assembly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies and for the links. I'll take a closer look over the weekend. The dealer service adviser took a look and thought the wire harness had been cut and I would need a new one but he didn't seem super confident about that. I don't know when the conversion was done but I'll look closely at the housing and if it can be cleaned up I'll buy new plastic rear covers and go that route as the lenses are in good shape.

·
Registered
2006 Subaru OUtback XT
88 Posts
I would not replace the wiring harness. There are some really good splice connectors out there called Posi-Tap. They do not crimp the small stranded wires and they are water-proof ones too.
DO NOT USE SCOTCH-LOC's
on stranded wires as they clip the strands and vibration will break more with time and then failure or FIRE happens.

Scotch-Loc's are designed for SOLID core wire like what is used in the Telephone industry. I have used 10,000 of them splicing large cables and wires for T-1's, ADSL and alarm systems.

Posi-Tap and Scotch-Loc pictures below

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would not replace the wiring harness. There are some really good splice connectors out there called Posi-Tap. They do not crimp the small stranded wires and they are water-proof ones too.
DO NOT USE SCOTCH-LOC's on stranded wires as they clip the strands and vibration will break more with time and then failure or FIRE happens.

Scotch-Loc's are designed for SOLID core wire like what is used in the Telephone industry. I have used 10,000 of them splicing large cables and wires for T-1's, ADSL and alarm systems.

Posi-Tap and Scotch-Loc pictures below

I'm actually not sure I'll need to replace anything with the wire harness. I'll take a closer look on Saturday. I'm hoping they plugged the special harness for the LED right into the factory plug that goes to the bulb. That's what it looked like to me but the service adviser thought otherwise.

I'll simply buy a bulb and see if it fits and works. Then I can source the other bits I need.

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,119 Posts
I'm actually not sure I'll need to replace anything with the wire harness. I'll take a closer look on Saturday. I'm hoping they plugged the special harness for the LED right into the factory plug that goes to the bulb. That's what it looked like to me but the service adviser thought otherwise.

I'll simply buy a bulb and see if it fits and works. Then I can source the other bits I need.
Usually these systems plug directly into the factory wiring. The Xenon Depot lights I have are like that.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
6,113 Posts
Regarding the uncertainty of OP's wire harness: I was in error, and have since corrected my post below. I looked this morning; the harness to the bulbs is a short wire harness connectorized on both ends and therefore not needing to be spliced. One end goes to the low beam bulb on the inside of the rear plastic cup, the other end is fed out of the headlight assembly to the side and connects into the main harness right there. This allows easy removal of the entire headlamp assembly.

It appears that the OP's photo shows it's the bulb end that was hooked up to the LED apparatus, not the other end - judging by the light colored wire cover feeding back out of the hole cut into the rear cup.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
838 Posts
This was one of those Ebay "conversions".
A hole was cut into the rear of the grey cap/seal to accommodate the leds heatsink.
I am unable to tell by the single photo if a stock headlight connector was cut. You must look at both sides since they only had to tap into one side for the kit.
I'm all for conversions, as long as they are done correctly.
I did my old Legacy and just finished my current Outback. Look up
Retro-Quik: Subaru Legacy (05-14)
in any search engine for the best lighting improvement for our cars. This kit made it so much easier than my old Legacy. Pick a 4500K bulb. Do not go higher in color temp or wet weather lighting will suffer.
I've still got the old factory housings. The poly-carbonate is hazed on them. I replaced the factory with a new aftermarket pair for $222.
Never use T-Taps or Scotch Locks. They have their uses but this is your main lighting system.
If some wiring was cut, It is unlikely that the "cars" harness was cut. The modification would/should have been done at the Headlamp assembly's harness. It's easier there since it splits between high and low beam.

·
Registered
05 OBXT & 16 Crosstrek
696 Posts
The retroquick kit from TRS is where it's at. I too, like 4500k, but have used 5000k bulbs and they are still good for wet weather if you get the morimoto bulbs and not cheaper ones.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I finally got around to replacing my headlight assemblies. I figured I would start there and if I still wasn't happy with the quality of the lighting, I would move to the retroquick kit from TRS. My harness was fine. I bought the assemblies from Ebay. Showed up well packed and look great.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/232013244014

I watched this video a few times. It was well done. My bumper cover has been off before. The clips at the radiator were broken off. I got everything back together but do need to address this connection point. I busted a couple of the other bumper cover clips and will order some replacements. It's on there fine for now.

Hopefully the light quality is improved. I'll know tonight.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I run the Hikari LED's from amazon in my low beams and fogs. No problems in the last six months or so. I keep bombing through puddles just as i remember the LED fogs and no problems yet. The cutoff in the factory projectors is pretty clean. If you search for the Hikari bulbs on amazon, peep the lumens if you see a lower price, they are often lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts