Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and an electronic handbrake.

I'm sure there's something here I'm missing, but I'm finding it terribly difficult to reverse uphill to park (there's a hill in front of my house). With my other car(s) - also MT - I put on the handbrake, ease the clutch to balance on the hill, then slowly release the handbrake while I add gas and move, in a controlled manner, backwards.

This is impossible with the electronic handbrake in the '12. I see the hillbrake option, but don't see how that helps - not sure if I'm not understanding how to use it, or if it doesn't apply to this situation, but it's not doing what I need it to do.

Thoughts? (I did search the forum, but didn't see anything addressing this specifically - if I've missed a discussion, by all means point me to it!)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I spent 10yrs in SF with the 5spd MT 2.5. It can be tricky regardless of what car our other car is a 2001 1.8T 5spd Jetta same challenge.

Believe it or not but the CVT in the new car will roll back on hills with out playing the parking brake also - you just happen to have an extra foot given there is no clutch etc.

All I can say having been in SF and done lots of very tight parallel parking on steep hills. PRACTICE makes you good! LOL - Hand brake - throttle and clutch till the car raises up then ease off the hand brake slow till you start to move. One hand steering one hand on the parking brake. You want to keep the RPM's sane to keep from toasting the clutch which your feathering. The trick is keeping a hand on the parking break so if you need to let off the throttle to eye ball your parking spot etc you can just give the brake handle a tug.

The electronic parking brake is pretty quick actually to jump into the action to keep the car from rolling - I haven't tried it backing up a steep hill yet though. Not sure if there is enough intelligence worked into the electronic one that it knows if your in drive or Reverse or if that even matters and its simply based on angle of incline regardless which way the car is pointed up hill or down hill.

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Does the hill holder function only work when you're pointed uphill? Seems like it should work regardless.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Sailor - I think my subject line may have misled you. The problem isn't how to balance the clutch to back up a hill in a MT (I've been doing that for years - I haven't had an automatic transmission since I was driving my parents car more years ago than I care to admit!), but the fact that with the electronic brake you CAN'T "throttle and clutch till the car raises up then ease off the hand brake slow" because it's simply a button rather than a lever and only has off/on. Thassit. Nothing in between so you can use it to balance while you get some revs going.

I can't figure out how to hold the car in place while I let the clutch out, other than revving it like crazy and frying it ....
I tried having the hill function on, but it didn't seem to "catch" - I feel sure I'm doing something wrong. How do you "engage" the hill function into action? Do you have to touch the brake pedal, or does it sense the hill or .....?

These must seem like such dumb questions, but I am realising I have always relied on my mechanical handbrake more than I realised. This is weird!! lol

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have a free foot for the brake in the cvt
Which is great for CVT owners.... which I am not. Mine is the MT. Which leads me back to the original question: how do you balance it on a hill without a mechanical handbrake? Hoping somebody has this figured out so I can give it a try! :29:

·
Registered
Mostly stock 2012 6MT.
665 Posts
The Hillholder function engages when it sense the car is on a 5% or more grade. If you're drive way isn't quite that steep, you're kind of out of luck. If it is that steep, pull out the owners manual and read up on how to use hillholder. I've only used it once, but it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Connor. As I understand the manual (I swear I had read it before posting, I just could'nt make sense of what it said vs what the car *did* lol), it only works on an *uphill* incline, which may be my problem. Clearly I need to go out and play with it more and see if it will work both ways, despite what the literature says. This particular element is clearly going to have a learning curve, and it really is going to be a major bummer for me if it only works going uphill. Sometimes old-fangled mechanical systems do the job better.. :-/

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Thanks Connor. As I understand the manual (I swear I had read it before posting, I just could'nt make sense of what it said vs what the car *did* lol), it only works on an *uphill* incline, which may be my problem. Clearly I need to go out and play with it more and see if it will work both ways, despite what the literature says. This particular element is clearly going to have a learning curve, and it really is going to be a major bummer for me if it only works going uphill. Sometimes old-fangled mechanical systems do the job better.. :-/
You can manually activate the parking brake by holding the button down if the car is moving when you do this I recall reading that it will set but at a lower tension which may allow you to back up and limit the roll when you back off the throttle and the clutch etc.

Its worth a try

·
Registered
2011 Tacoma TRD Sport Double Cab Long Box
2,893 Posts
When the handbrake wasn't a good option in other vehicles (as in, didn't work at all), I always used to "heel-toe" the brake and gas....it takes a lot of practice, but is doable, and it gives you more flexibility than a simple "off-on" brake will. I haven't driven an MT in a while, though, so I'm not confident that I still have those skills.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
In my CVT, the hill holder works in reverse. I use it when I am backing into my driveway with a trailer.

However, it doesn't engage the hill hold until you put the CVT in reverse. I don't know if or how it would work in a manual.

Having said that, the parking brake should work just the same.

1) You must have your seatbelt on.
2) Stop the car and engage the parking brake.
3) Let off the brake. The parking brake should hold you.
4) Shift int reverse and start to let out the clutch while giving a little gas (like normal).
5) As soon as you start to push against the parking brake, it should release automatically.

·
Registered
2010 Outback Diesel UK 2.0 SE
1 Posts
I suffered the same problem when I first got my Outback. After a little time I have now learnt that the parking brake -on mine at least! - doesn't start to release until you touch the accelerator (gas) pedal. Therefore, when starting on a hill (either pointing up or down) from stationary: clutch down, select 1st or reverse, clutch slowly up until engine speed begins to reduce...i.e. clutch begins to bite, and only then touch the accelerator at which point the parking brake will release, increase accelerator and pull away. It does take a little practice and I'd still prefer a manual handbrake lever but it does work. Sometimes reasonably smoothly :)
An alternative - again on my UK set up which may not be the same globally - is to undo you seatbelt. I'm not advocating this but it disables the auto-release of the parking brake. You can then 'balance' the car on clutch and gas as you are used to and then pull the parking brake release button as if you are releasing the traditional style lever. I have used this on particularly steep hills when parking in tight spots. I hope this might help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks all for the replies, and especially HowardHill - YES!! That's exactly what I needed to know. THANK YOU!! I'm sure I would have figured this out by myself over time with trial and error, but it sure helps to have somebody who's been through the same "Huh?" with it to take the time to explain the process they evolved. Really appreciate!! (expat Brit here, too ~waves from across the pond~).

Very jealous the Europe gets the diesel. I would have been ALL OVER that if it had been on offer here!

ETA: Just had a chance to go out and try it/play with it - YEAH!! I drive with a very light foot - more of a squeeze on the brake than a press - and it appears that I wasn't "stomping" the brake hard enough to activate the hill holder. I gave it a good hard tap and it worked! Also, the very confusingly-worded manual seems to indicate that it only works once on any hill, ie if you're going back and forth it doesn't reactivate without manually switching on the ebrake. Given the sentence in the handbook, still trying to figure that out!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts