Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
A picture from the gravel parking lot. 7-10 inches of snow.... No problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just an awesome thread. Thanks for all the info. Was considering a 2" lift on my 2018 limited but after reading about all the vibration issues some folks are having I've decided against it. Would have been nice on heavily rutted Outer Banks beaches. But I've had no real issues just running stock so far. I think these tires might give me the additional peace of mind I'm looking for while on the beach. That said, I have managed some VERY soft sand on the stock duelers.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for this post, I am about to go purchase the 235/60/R18 G015 Geolandar's for my 2018 Outback 2.5 limited with 18" OEM wheels. My wheels look different than your 18's, but I am hoping the fit will be the same. Will update with pictures and review later.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Update: Just had the Yokohama Geolandar 235/60/18 107H installed on the 2018 Subaru Outback Limited with 18" OEM wheels (no lift, all stock). The tires feel great off the lot. After 10 miles of city driving I experienced no rubbing at all, even with the wheels fully locked left or right going over curbs. Evans Tires had inflated them to 38 PSI each.

My biggest concern was the front strut rubbing. With the factory Bridgestone Dueler 225/60/18 tires I could fit 2 fingers (index + middle) in the gap. Now with the Yoko's I can only fit one finger in with a tiny bit of wiggle room. It doesn't seem like this will be a problem.

The ride quality is impressive. These tires are just as quiet as the Duelers on the road (only went up to highway speeds) and do a great job of absorbing smaller bumps without feeling 'mushy' like the Duelers did. The snowflake/mountain symbol should allow me to pass into the snow capped mountains of SoCal without needing chains, we will see how that goes. I am keeping the Duelers around since I only put 17k miles on them before I switched. Luckily they all fit in the back of the Outback! Attached are some photos of the before and after.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Sandyeggo weee they hard to locate in San Diego? I’m in Ventura County and am thinking about these tires. Hope your able to post updates! Thanks!!

·
Supporting Vendor
712 Posts
Thank you for posting reviews of your personal experiences of the Yokohama Geolandar G015 tires. I've been running them for over 2 years with solid results on different vehicles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey Sandyeggo weee they hard to locate in San Diego? I’m in Ventura County and am thinking about these tires. Hope your able to post updates! Thanks!!

Hi Elmatt88,

I looked at my two local dealers and neither of them had the tires on hand. Both Discount Tire and Evans Tire were able to get them in 2-3 days. I went with Evans simple because they were running a better deal that my local D.T. couldn't match (also I had a previous good experience with them fixing a flat for me).

I think it's rare to find a shop that has these Yoko's in this size on the floor, but if you decide to pull the trigger I'm sure you will find a deal and have them in under a week.

I was able to get all 4 tires, balance, install and life of tire guarantee (and Snow Mountain tickets) for $717 out the door. Good luck! It's still day 1 on these tires and I love them, put a few more miles on since my last post this morning. I will be doing some soft roading in the mud this weekend, will definitely post pics!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hwy Sandyeggo, Many rhanks for sharing your experiences with these tires, its most helpful. I didn’t want ro have to spend $$ on a lift kit but I realized I needed some security when I ho soft roading. I look forward to your future posts! Cheers!

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Hwy Sandyeggo, Many rhanks for sharing your experiences with these tires, its most helpful. I didn’t want ro have to spend $$ on a lift kit but I realized I needed some security when I ho soft roading. I look forward to your future posts! Cheers!
There is also a huge difference in snow. These tires in the snow are sooo much better than stock. I even aired down once just to see what it was like but I didnt have to.

I also just checked with a micrometer and I am on pace to hit 60 K no problem.

I also had a small accident with these tires. I was doing donuts in a gravel parking lot with about 6 inches of snow and hit a hole. The front tire went so deep in the hole that I have gravel marks on the rim. The tire never came off. We hit the hole so hard that my daughter dropped her phone, the roof rack slid to the side and I ended up having to replace the wheel bearing. But at least the tire was fine.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Also for people currently shopping for these tires...

1. I found the best price by far at discount tire online. I had them fast.
2. Some places will not isntall a different size of tires that are more than 4% larger. Costco refused to install these for me. Then told me they wouldn't refund my money...I very loudly repeated what they were telling me " no install and no refund" until I got a refund. Save you self some hassle and check first.

·
Registered
17 Posts
for those who went with Yoko G015 on stock 18" wheels, do you notice any acceleration change? I have a 2019 OB 2.5 limited as well, I am eyeing to get these 235/60/R18 Yoko G015s but it looks like they will add significant amount of unsprung weight to each corner; given our 2.5 w/ CVT is already pretty slow from 0-60MPH, I am curious on how much impact on acceleration. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
9 Posts
for those who went with Yoko G015 on stock 18" wheels, do you notice any acceleration change?

@runnerx

I've been running the Yokos since December and put on 3k miles so far. I didn't feel much of a dip in acceleration, perhaps a little more sluggish when under 3k rpm. Once the car is rolling I couldn't tell at all the tires were a few pounds heavier.

The most noticeable change for me was the change in deceleration. The brakes still work great but it takes a bit more input to get the car to slow since the tires have more mass to maintain momentum. It didn't add to stopping distance, I actually feel safer with the Geos. The overall ride feel is preferable for me and my MPG have actually increased by about .75 mpg per tank. That's not taking into account that my actual speed is slightly higher than my tachometer is reading.

In my opinion you wont notice the difference. The OB 2.5 isn't a fast car to begin with, and the geos dont make it any slower overall. If weight is the concern perhaps throw some lighter weight wheels on to compensate.

Remember you do get a larger contact patch with these tires than the duellers. Even if they weighted the same the friction is higher, slowing the acceleration slightly but adding grip.

·
Registered
17 Posts
@runnerx

I've been running the Yokos since December and put on 3k miles so far. I didn't feel much of a dip in acceleration, perhaps a little more sluggish when under 3k rpm. Once the car is rolling I couldn't tell at all the tires were a few pounds heavier.

The most noticeable change for me was the change in deceleration. The brakes still work great but it takes a bit more input to get the car to slow since the tires have more mass to maintain momentum. It didn't add to stopping distance, I actually feel safer with the Geos. The overall ride feel is preferable for me and my MPG have actually increased by about .75 mpg per tank. That's not taking into account that my actual speed is slightly higher than my tachometer is reading.

In my opinion you wont notice the difference. The OB 2.5 isn't a fast car to begin with, and the geos dont make it any slower overall. If weight is the concern perhaps throw some lighter weight wheels on to compensate.

Remember you do get a larger contact patch with these tires than the duellers. Even if they weighted the same the friction is higher, slowing the acceleration slightly but adding grip.
Thanks for the feedback. I will get G015 as my next set.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Update: Just had the Yokohama Geolandar 235/60/18 107H installed on the 2018 Subaru Outback Limited with 18" OEM wheels (no lift, all stock). The tires feel great off the lot. After 10 miles of city driving I experienced no rubbing at all, even with the wheels fully locked left or right going over curbs. Evans Tires had inflated them to 38 PSI each.

My biggest concern was the front strut rubbing. With the factory Bridgestone Dueler 225/60/18 tires I could fit 2 fingers (index + middle) in the gap. Now with the Yoko's I can only fit one finger in with a tiny bit of wiggle room. It doesn't seem like this will be a problem.

The ride quality is impressive. These tires are just as quiet as the Duelers on the road (only went up to highway speeds) and do a great job of absorbing smaller bumps without feeling 'mushy' like the Duelers did. The snowflake/mountain symbol should allow me to pass into the snow capped mountains of SoCal without needing chains, we will see how that goes. I am keeping the Duelers around since I only put 17k miles on them before I switched. Luckily they all fit in the back of the Outback! Attached are some photos of the before and after.
Did you end up taking the mud flap off the front well? Looks like it in the picture.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you end up taking the mud flap off the front well? Looks like it in the picture.
I made no changes from the stock limited trim. There are small splash guards on all 4 wheels and I didn't have to remove any of them. My outback did not come with free hanging mud flaps, only plastic splash guards which dont drop very low.

5k miles on the Yokos and no rub, no problems. They tank through all the pot holes I throw at them.

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
22 K on them so far. fixed a few nails in the same tire, seams to be holding air fine. I was surprised at how well it handled with 9 psi in the tire. I do take turns fast. I am getting slightly more wear on the outside of the tire. I was thinking I could get an alignment to compensate for driving style. One that may even out tire wear? Does anyone have any experience with this? This happens on all of my cars.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
You can see the very slight wear difference. You can also compare them to the picture of the tread when they were ranked new in the first post.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just got back from a 4000mi road trip in Colorado, running the Geolanders on my stock 18" wheels. I even managed a few off road (BLM and National Forest Roads) and the tires/ care performed beautifully!

I had a compressor with, so I was able to drop pressure when needed, and refill after the trail was complete!

Most of the trails I rode were DRY when I ran them. There was one trail that the National Forest team was re-grading when were were on it... this consisted of a huge H2o tanker driving down the trail to get it all soft and wet, followed by a huge motor grader clawing through, then re-leveling the trail. (If you really want to see what they were doing, here is a video link: Link ) This made it softer and muddy, and FUN! I did get a bit of mud built up in the wheel wells, and once dry, I did get a little bit of rubbing from the tire... but it was tire on mud only.

Right before the trip, I did install the 19mm Sway bar. For the long haul from the mid-West to Colorado and back, I ran the tires between 37-38psi (as read from my compressor). I bumped up the pressure a bit because there was a bit of a jello-like feeling in the back end when fully loaded.
I dropped the pressure down to under 30psi to soften up some of the wash boarding and rocky roads. I probably could have gone even lower.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts