Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this forum is technically for Outbacks, but I think the radios are the same between Outback and Legacy. I have a 2011 Legacy Limited with the Kenwood OEM head unit and Harman Kardon amp/speakers.

I bought this a few months ago. I did not realize at the time of purchase that there is a noise, more like RFI, that is apparent on all inputs. It seems to center around 6.5khz. This is not a simple noise floor. The 'RFI' is on top of the normal noise floor.

In addition to the 'RFI', the amp was pumping (aka variable level) at low volumes. So with both issues apparent, I contacted Harman Kardon, thinking that they made the entire system. One of the engineers immediately contacted me to try to resolve the issue. First of all, I was surprised to learn that Kenwood made the head unit. HK only provided the amp and speakers. At any rate....

He shipped me a replacement amp, literally OVERNIGHT. This completely took care of the pumping issue, as the noise gate has a longer gate time. So this was a vast improvement.

NOTE: I have been VERY IMPRESSED with Harman Kardon's commitment to resolve the issue.

However, the 'RFI'/hiss/whatever you want to call it @ 6.5khz remains. It's driving me absolutely nuts!!! That leads me to believe that this is either a) a poorly placed cable (subject to RFI) or b) a problem with the Kenwood OEM head unit.

Anyone else heard this? Have any ideas how to resolve?

THANKS!

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
I haven't heard it myself, haven't got that stereo. Just hoping to connect you to other threads with hiss complaints from the H/K.

The other posts probably don't mention RFI due to lack of detailed analysis & understanding of the problem. A lot of folks just don't understand RF or audio at your level.

Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'm really suspecting EMI at this point. Seems like it would be a total pain to cut that down. I've never used the ferrite beads, but I would think that might be a possible solution....if I am understanding this correctly.

In other words, I can't imagine that Kenwood would allow a noise like this in their product. Therefore, I suspect this is coming in via a cable somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts