Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the rhinorack platform on their 2018 outback? I can't find any pictures or videos. The manufacturer is pushing a ~$600 kit that <i>should</i> work but I refuse to be their guinea pig. I want to see how the platform lines up and if it rests on the ribs or is only supported by the cross bars.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i
96 Posts
Aren't the '18s just facelifted '15-'17s? They should fit the same as the roof rails/bar shouldn't have changed.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
Check with etrailer - they seem to be willing to check a lot of fitments, and they have a lot more pictures than Rhino (at least if you're looking for a pioneer). part of what it rests on will depend on the platform size, too.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aren't the '18s just facelifted '15-'17s? They should fit the same as the roof rails/bar shouldn't have changed.
No, quite a few differences including rail shape and dimensions, especially on the limited. How else would they sell new accessories?

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check with etrailer - they seem to be willing to check a lot of fitments, and they have a lot more pictures than Rhino (at least if you're looking for a pioneer). part of what it rests on will depend on the platform size, too.
Thanks for the tip. Way more pictures and clearer better pictures than at rhinorack. I got an answer from rhinorack that they weren't sure but this (Pioneer Platform (Universal) Flat Pack - Large (58" x 46") | Rhino-Rack) would most likely work. Very comforting for a $600 accessory. Based on browsing the info on etrailer, looking at pictures and some measurements I think this one (https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Basket/Rhino-Rack/RR42115BF.html) should actually work. Still a good chunk of change. I'll think about it, see if they run any cyber monday sales. Maybe if it was closer to $400 I'd go for it.

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray 3.6R
553 Posts
No, quite a few differences including rail shape and dimensions, especially on the limited. How else would they sell new accessories?
I don't believe that is the case, according to Cars101.com.

2015-2018 Limited trim (and below) show that they are the same.
The Touring trim, introduced in 2017, has the same low profile mounts for 2017 and 2018.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 2.5i
334 Posts
Based on browsing the info on etrailer, looking at pictures and some measurements I think this one (https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Basket/Rhino-Rack/RR42115BF.html) should actually work. Still a good chunk of change. I'll think about it, see if they run any cyber monday sales. Maybe if it was closer to $400 I'd go for it.
I don't have the platform or a limited (touring is in the works, and I've been thinking about roof racking systems recently), so with those caveats, if you look at the bottom (pic #23 on etrailer), the rim of the platform extends down to ~where the feet sit (pic #6). On ltd crossbars, a 47" wide platform will extend beyond the rails, so the edges of the platform will not rest on anything (off-hand I don't know what the outside-outside distance is for the Subaru rails).
I'd say the main thing to watch for (and maybe request a measurement) is the minimum needed distance (width) between the mounting feet on the Rhino platform vs. what you have available (~38"). You can (I believe) mount them on the inner channels, or even asymmetrically, so this might not be a problem after all. If you don't need the size, Rhino has a 48x38 that would fit between the rails (and costs $400). Nice looking platform, especially if you have a lot of T-slot accessories.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Went out and did some measurements. For a platform to fit in between the front to back rails it would have to be 42" wide. The 47" platform will rest perfectly on top of the front to back rails which is exactly what I want -> to absorb more weight.

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Managed to talk the price down to $430 even. Should have it next week. Now to pick out the sunseeker awning I want and to make up fasteners for all the LED lights I'm putting on. Probably a 1/2 wave 2m and 70cm HAM antenna too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
any pics? still looking for the best version for my touring rails. So far Thule bars installed. Rhino universal should be possible to be installed within the T-slots.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts