Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Touring
360 Posts
I've decided the answer to my kinetic rope/snatch block question is almost certainly no. While synthetic winch ropes are thin enough (1/4" to 3/8" or so) to work in a block, kinetic recovery ropes (3/4" to 1-1/4") are not.

·
Registered
'16 Outback 2.5i Premium WAM, Factory Hitch, Infinity speakers, Alpine Sub, Cargo Tray/Seat Protectors, Husky Liners, Rally Armor Mudflaps, LED Int Ltg, Subaru LOGO LED Projection Puddle Lights, OUTB
407 Posts
Pardon me if this is slightly off-topic. My car has an OEM trailer hitch. The inner bumper bar that has the threaded hole for the towing hook was removed. So, no towing hook in the rear. And the hitch does not look all that meaty to use for a recovery. Any ideas on what I could do to recover from the rear?

I had to do this recently.

I took out the recovery strap from the spare tire well, took out the bike rack from the hitch, then dropped the D-ring in the hole for the locking pin on the hitch, put through the strap, and handed the other end to someone with an F-350. Only after I was clear did I realize I didn't even attempt a proper self rescue with x-mode on. I would have pulled right out of the hole solo.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Premium
8 Posts
I hope adding this to an existing thread is OK, rather than starting a new one.

I recently wanted to try attaching the towing hook to my 2015 Outback. I got the car used, a year ago.

When I went to attach the towing hook, it was very difficult to rotate, made about 1 rotation at most (not by hand, used a bar for plenty of leverage). I sprayed a lot of WD-40 into the threaded hole and tried the next day. Made about 3 rotations then got too difficult to risk damage of turning it more. The threads of the hook that did engage look dirty, as in real dirt. I have no idea of the history of the car before I got it last year. I do not know if the hole goes all the way thru such that mud might have come in from the front, or what.

In any case, any ideas on how to clean the threads inside, so the hook can go in properly? I know that by going in only 3 turns or so would be dangerous, or at the very least risking stripping the threads, if I ever did need to use it.

Maybe use a power washer to spray inside? At least I am hoping this is old dried mud, and not some pretty bad corrosion from salt on Minnesota roads in winter.

I figure worst-case I could get the threads re-cut, but that's $ and hassle I would have a hard time justifying. Anyone know the thread specs?

- George

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don`t know the pitch, but starting with the pressure washer is a good idea. I would follow that up with a toothbrush and a brass brush if necessary. Careful of the bumper paint of course. Before I would chase the threads you might even try something like a dental pick following the threads to lift out anything stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah. Minnesota. (50 yrs experience there.) I expect the hole goes through, if not it will be even harder, maybe impossible, to get it clean. I have had good luck with PBlaster in this kind of use. Worked well to free up a rusted hitch receiver. Give it some time, e.g., overnight.

I think WD40 is too mild for this. I would not be afraid of chasing the threads carefully with lots of lube. It might take several tries of a few turns followed by cleaning out debris. A good parts store (NAPA?) might have a thread gauge, I would expect it to be metric.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Limited 3.6R 2" ADF lift kit 17X8 (45mm off-set) Advanti DST Storm wheels 245/65R17 BFG KO2 AT tires 20mm RSB Strut Tower Brace steering Dampener Lockdown
246 Posts
Cusco makes a tow ring for the OB that has the D-shackle integrated

It seems they cater mostly to the Japan market so they do not always validate stuff for North American vehicles. But I emailed them and lucked out in that they had test fitted this tow hook on a North American 2018 OB Limited in California where their US HQ is located

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,212 Posts
In any case, any ideas on how to clean the threads inside, so the hook can go in properly? I know that by going in only 3 turns or so would be dangerous, or at the very least risking stripping the threads, if I ever did need to use it.

- George
you could also try a bore brush of the correct diameter. I'm guessing 12g might be close but it could be smaller. Attach it to a power drill and run it at low speed with your favorite pen oil.

·
Registered
9 Posts
you could also try a bore brush of the correct diameter. I'm guessing 12g might be close but it could be smaller. Attach it to a power drill and run it at low speed with your favorite pen oil.
Great idea! PBlaster is a penetrating oil, as well as Liquid Wrench. I like PBlaster better.

You might need an extension to get the brush in there. Your local gun shop should have what you need.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cusco makes a tow ring for the OB that has the D-shackle integrated

It seems they cater mostly to the Japan market so they do not always validate stuff for North American vehicles. But I emailed them and lucked out in that they had test fitted this tow hook on a North American 2018 OB Limited in California where their US HQ is located

I know this is going back a while, but i dont suppose you know/remember the part number of the tow ring you fitted?

·
Registered
2019 Crystal White Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited
38 Posts
I know this is going back a while, but i dont suppose you know/remember the part number of the tow ring you fitted?
Here:

-https://lpaventure.com/collections/outback-2018/products/cusco-front-tow-hook-cus-693-017-f
-https://lpaventure.com/collections/outback-2018/products/cusco-rear-tow-hook

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here:

-https://lpaventure.com/collections/outback-2018/products/cusco-front-tow-hook-cus-693-017-f
-https://lpaventure.com/collections/outback-2018/products/cusco-rear-tow-hook
Aaah brilliant. (I didnt realise the cusco part # was actually in the link) Thanks!

21 - 33 of 33 Posts