Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I've got a 2006 Outback, EJ25 engine.
I've recently replaced the timing belt, pulleys, idler tensioner and water pump.
I've lined up all the marks (left cam wheel, crank pulley, right cam wheel) with the timing belt and got everything lined up perfectly.
I then removed the pin on the idler tensioner (after bleeding the tensioner 4x) and made four full rotations manually clockwise with the crank pulley.
The left cam wheel and crank pulley were lined up perfectly as when initially installed, but the right cam wheel was ever so slightly off. It appears that it becomes slightly off after the first full rotation but doesn't appear to get noticeably worse with each rotation of the crank pulley.
Should I be concerned?
I was first worried that the idler tensioner might not be applying enough tension on the belt and this causes the right cam wheel to be slightly off, but I'm not sure.
I'm hoping people can give some feedback here.
Here are the initial install and after four rotations photos:
Right cam wheel Initial:

After four rotations:

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
If they were lined up to start with it shouldn't be an issue. It's not like the belt is the perfect length to be back in place after the engine goes around four times. When you look at the crank and left cam, you're probably seeing the timing marks for the right cam and crank, respectively. If you don't feel any binding harder than normal compression, you should be all set.

Though it may be prudent to wait for one of the guys who's done more than one timing belt in their life.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nevermind - what follows is for a DOHC.
Sorry,
-M.

The marks on the belt are only good for the install; after rotations they're out of sync with the timing marks on the pulleys. The bit of difference between the 2 pix doesn't bother me. - shifting either by even 1 tooth would make it much more off, and a whole tooth is the only change available.

More important is to verify all the marks are on.

The marks on the pulleys and the engine itself are the reference, check the other marks: driver's pulleys' middle marks line up between the 2, bottom driver's right mark matches the notch on the timing cover when the top pulley's top and middle marks line up.

And passenger side at the same time - top pulley mark lines up with the timing cover, lower cam gear has an outside timing mark and the upper and lower marks must meet in the middle:
I stole this from legacygt:

Note the single pulley edge mark is for top and outside marks, the doubles are for pulley-pulley alignment. The paint on a couple of those double marks was dodgy on mine so I verified by feel and with bright light and a mirror.

And don't forget the crankshaft mark! Those are your references ... Off by 1 tooth or more is a problem. The first time I changed my belt the passenger middle and side marks were off - you should use a mirror as they're hard to see.

If it's off by less than a tooth run it a bit and recheck. The tensioner was new, right?

·
Registered
115 Posts
I stole this from legacygt:

View attachment 486728

And don't forget the crankshaft mark! Those are your references ... Off by 1 tooth or more is a problem. The first time I changed my belt the passenger middle and side marks were off - you should use a mirror as they're hard to see.

If it's off by less than a tooth run it a bit and recheck. The tensioner was new, right?
Wait a minute... I think this might be a DOHC engine...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies.
The EJ25 is a SOHC.
Regarding lining up the marks, I was referring to the white line on the right cam wheel which was slightly off centre. I understand the white marks on the belt won't line up again after the first rotation.
I'm still unsure whether I should be concerned as the right cam wheel is ever so slightly off.
The idler tensioner was brand new.
Thanks!!
-Richard

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,476 Posts
Nah, that's within specs. Between the tensioner and belt breaking-in, it'll settle. Plus, you get about 4-5 teeth of variance before engine damage occurs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts