Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
98 Legacy OB

I just swapped out the right front turn signal socket and bulb, it was giving erratic performance. Sometimes the turn signal function worked, sometimes not.

I found that the socket installed by the body shop was missing half of its back flange, so the O-ring wasn't seated correctly, so moisture invaded and the bulb base corroded in the socket. Sometimes the lens has been sweaty on the inside, though not today.

(BTW the housing seems to have an elaborate little snorkettus to vent out moisture.)

I already had a spare, back from my first week of owning the car, since I had broken the lens while nosing around in some pine woods. When I replaced the lens, the entire assembly included a new bulb and socket, so I just retired the original into storage.

It just took one philips screw driver and ten minutes. The assembly is held in place by a single screw, and a locating stud at the rear. To re-install, you need to weasel the upper mount back up to its original location, as you align the assembly so the locating stud pops into the little socket in the fender.

(edited to add) that shot also happens to show the Bridgestone Turanzas the car is on.

Attachments

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The damaged socket and corroded bulb - also note the body shop's overspray of green

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts