Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Outback
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everybody. Looking at black aftermarket rims for my 2012 OB and am curious about how most popular rim brands and types handle the salt and abuse of bad winters. Any info or recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
Anything alloy and clearcoated should be fine.

We've been running painted steelies for 10 years and they have surface rust, but they're still holding up to our salty winters.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,253 Posts
For any rims, one way to help things is to rub (or spray) them all over with silicone to help keep stuff - including salt - from sticking.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,297 Posts
I went with the simple black steel wheels for my winter tires. Nice and basic and if they show any sign of rust at the end of winter it is easily cleaned up and primed and painted so they are ready to go for the next winter.
Pretty much all corrosion I have ever seen on any OEM wheels has started around the crimp-on lead wheel weights that dig in to the coating and then trap the salt and moisture. I like that Subaru doesn't use wheel weights on the outside of their wheels from the factory. That won't stop corrosion but it should help slow it down.

Whatever wheels are used for winter tires it would be a good idea to have the tires balanced with adhesive wheel weights rather than the crimp-on weights and even better if they aren't on the visible side of the wheels. I didn't even think about it when I had my tires mounted so I am sure I got the old traditional lead weights.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
All of them handle it fine with care.

Another way of saying there is no hands-off zero maintenance option. Wheels with less features & detail are easier to wipe down.

I'm a fan of using cheap steel wheels in the winter- they're better at handling the potholes that open up at the end of winter.

·
Registered
2016 WRX, 2017 BRZ, 2017 Legacy
366 Posts
I'm a fan of using cheap steel wheels in the winter- they're better at handling the potholes that open up at the end of winter.
They also don't trap as much snow and ice as allows, so less chance to have balance issues.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts