Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As we all know, Blu was svagedly murdered by Hurricane Sandy. I am eyeing his replacement. a somewhat more posh 2002 H6 with 125K, one owner, for sale at the dealership that maintained it, for 5700. Has a leaking sunroof, needs tires, maybe an oil leak.

Impecable carfax record, well maintained.

Opinions?

It is quite far from me, but I can't find any H6 near me with the bells and whistles. I am in NY, car in PA

·
Premium Member
4,946 Posts
I know when I bought my 2004, I test drove a 2002 LL Bean, and honestly was not really impressed with the first generation of the H6, the requirement for premium fuel was a turn off, and it just didn't feel like it had considerably more spunk. That being said it was only one of those 10 minute, around town in traffic test drives, but it definitely seemed lacking when you took the lower fuel economy into account.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
admittedly, our 03 H6 is a dog from a stop. It's brilliant on the highway - uh, at actual highway speeds - but if you are around town, or in bumper-to-bumper most of the time, you'll never feel the smooth passing power those car's have. I think in 05 they dropped the premium fuel recommendation and got active valve lift and few more ponies. Also, auto only so, no 5spd if that's important to you.

·
Registered
12,304 Posts
Valve cover gaskets and oil cooler gasket are the two main oil leak areas. Very common. Oil cooler gasket is easy, the valve covers are annoying as you know but I would time them with a spark plug change unless they've already been done.

Great car and good service records and price....sounds like a great deal to me. I'm surprised it's so inexpensive actually.

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
Do you know where the oil leak is from? Is it just a valve cover gasket or is it a front or rear crank seal? Not sure the crank seal is as common an issue on the H6 as the H4. I don't think so.

Do you think you could get a scooby guy local to the vehicle to maybe give it a preliminary once over and drive? Just to see if it's truly worth the trip? I've done that before for someone that was looking here in Lawrence. Just a thought.

PS premium fuel is "Recommended" not Required like the turbo motor. The ECU will adjust accordingly. Look in the door flap and you will see it says as much. We've had an 02 H6-3.0 and now have an 06'-H6-3.0. I've tested both regular and premium and it's cheaper to use regular. The only time I'd use Premium is if I were towing or a fully loaded down vehicle. Normal commuting around town stuff regular is fine.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
it sounds like a good price for the miles.

if possible, and if a subaru dealer is selling it, i would try to negotiate new valve cover gaskets and spark plugs as part of the deal. the VC gaskets cost $104 at the dealer, wholesale. and the plugs are about $12 each from the parts store. times 6 is over $70. iirc.

plus some labor, this is next to nothing for the dealer. and i really don't think there is much chance that you could do the VC gasket unless your back is much better. it is a real bitch removing the rear lower cover bolt.

with that done you will be good for a very long time.

the oil cooler gasket is around $6 - $7, i think, and you can do it in about an hour while changing your oil and filter. i didn't even have to drain the coolant, don't know why. the only challenge for you would be working on your back.

sandy screws blu and
nipper goes green!!!
film at eleven.

good luck.

·
Registered
5,814 Posts
I have a 50 mile one way commute, mostly highway.
The H6 is perfect for that, the H6 outbacks are geared 4.11 instead of other auto outbacks at 4.44 .

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's a nice one owner at cherry hill subaru listed for $5995.00. It's an '01 LL Bean H6 with 159k. I saw it when I bought our new '13 and it was very clean looking in and out and they've had it for well over a month so I'm sure they are probably flexible on that pricing.
Either way I'm sure you'll love the H6 I picked up an '07 LL Bean H6 about a month ago and I've put about 1000 miles on it and it is just a super smooth engine which I'm really impressed with. I absolutely love the total powertrain package on it !

·
Registered
300 Posts
admittedly, our 03 H6 is a dog from a stop.
i would say compared to other 6 cyl, yes it could be a little slow but compared to the subie 4 cyl it is a lot faster

as far as the premium recommended sure... but i have been using the mid grade (89) since the hurricane hit and i have not noticed any changes in gas consumption or performance... again it is recommended 91-93 it doesnt mean u have to use it all the time

·
Registered
948 Posts
Very sorry to hear that Nipper. Hope everything works our for you.

Not that I'm looking for a new car, but sometimes I eye up the H6 models but quickly get turned off by the required premium fuel, plus I really do like the H4 and with the short 1st gear (auto), it really jumps off the line.

Andre

·
Lord of ScoobyMods, ,
1,211 Posts
snip
sometimes I eye up the H6 models but quickly get turned off by the required premium fuel snip
Andre
Not required

PS premium fuel is "Recommended" not Required like the turbo motor. The ECU will adjust accordingly. Look in the door flap and you will see it says as much. We've had an 02 H6-3.0 and now have an 06'-H6-3.0. I've tested both regular and premium and it's cheaper to use regular. The only time I'd use Premium is if I were towing or a fully loaded down vehicle. Normal commuting around town stuff regular is fine.
We use premium very infrequently in out Tribeca with the 3.0-H6 and it's got over 100K miles now, it's suffered no ill effects.

·
Registered
213 Posts
As we all know, Blu was svagedly murdered by Hurricane Sandy. I am eyeing his replacement. a somewhat more posh 2002 H6 with 125K, one owner, for sale at the dealership that maintained it, for 5700. Has a leaking sunroof, needs tires, maybe an oil leak.

Impecable carfax record, well maintained.

Opinions?

It is quite far from me, but I can't find any H6 near me with the bells and whistles. I am in NY, car in PA
Sorry for the loss that is rough.

Re: the potential new replacement...leaking sunroof's are such a pain. Had old car with that...couldn't even wash the car without issues. I'd stay away from it. Water damage can be like cancer...might have rust issues now or mold.

Reminds me of why I special ordered my Limited without a sunroof, been there done that with leaking sunroofs.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
that one in Glenn mills is right where the other one is. Just really would rape my budget.

Sunroof leaks from what I have seen on the outback board and talking to NJdrsubaru is not that hard to resolve. i will have to look at that one though. i may take the justy down there tomorrow.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Sorry about blu but at least you all are OK. I got a 2002 H6 with 165,000 1 owner car just a few months ago for $5,000.00. I have never used premium gas and it runs fine. Gets about 24 combined miles per gallon. Has had great care taken of it and what has been needed done was done already. I'd get that sunroof looked at if its leaking. Might be some hidden problems there? Good luck.:cool:

·
Registered
300 Posts
the sunroof problem on the gen 2 is 99.99% due to either a clogged drain hose or a disconnected drain hose... the sunroof rail is a molded 1 part thing unlike the early 90's legacy that had a 2 part and it was prone to leaks.

nipper don't let the sunroof disencorage you... as I told u I can fix that in less than 20 mnts.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
About this Discussion
20 Replies
14 Participants
cardoc
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing