1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OBW 2.5L, 1989 Subaru Justy, RIP Blu
7,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blu two weeks ago doing what he loved best to do

The Death of Blu

The Justy was parked on high ground down the block. I kept Blu here incase we had to get out (Mom is 84 so i needed a plan B).

a ten foot storm surge which we are quite used to was almost 15 feet. My house (oceanside) is 14'10" high so we got only two inches of water in the house. The crawl space is most likely a mess. Oceanside is devistated. Island park is worse and long beach leveled in many places. Mom has lived in Oceanside all her life and said she had never ever seen anything like this.

We are living off a generator (which was under three feet of water originally) tapping all the totaled cars gas tanks for fuel. Everyone felt ready for this as we did everything right for a storm. I have been pumping out houses. Right now i am lighting two other houses, as it was 4 at one time.

I am so exhausted from this.

No Travelers yet. Fema has been on the block. People have lost everything.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Pumping out houses? Oh, you mean you're using the power from the generator to help remove water from other houses, correct?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Ouch. Hopefully you'll be able to salvage the car at some point. Glad you've made it through as well as you have. Hope it's all up from here!

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,174 Posts
Poor old Blu.
Should replace him from one that spent entire life on the west coast, pay for the shipping, and have a car that will outlast most.
At least you are around to tell the story. Glad for your safety.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,305 Posts
While I'm very glad you're safe....NOT BLU!!!

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean 120k
135 Posts
When your ready...say the word and we will scower the country for you a good replacment.

thank the good Lord your all ok.

Darwin

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Be very careful about pumping out houses!!!

If the groundwater has not receded you can actually crush your house's foundation.

Use Caution Pumping Your Flooded Basement | FEMA.gov

I do Water Damage Restoration for a living (among many other things).

Now that that's over with, your car is not salvageable? Glad to hear you are okay!

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
4 feet of water is a lot. every wire and connector is going to be at risk, as you know. but the engine may have life yet. i don't guess there is any chance the engine stopped with ALL the valves closed.

remember the story about the subaru that fell through the ice and sat there for 6 months? was that fresh water or salt water, i can't remember?

a bought a 98 outback that stood in about 12 inches of hurricane sea water for a day. the ecu was bad, the brakes were ok , but the parking brake cables were an issue. trans and both diffs were fine. the cats and exhaust was all fine, so far. two years later the dome light will not come on when the door opens. my guess is the switch in the b pillar is bad.

but 4 feet, yikes!!!

·
Registered
Tungsten 2017 2.5 Limited w Eyesight SOLD!
1,043 Posts
First off, at least you and your family are fine and you still ave a house! I know what you are going through! Sorry about the car but it is easier replaced than you or your family/friends/neighbors.
Hang in there as things will get better.. I went through a few hurricanes down here..

·
Registered
1999 obw 2.5l Auto 194,000 mi
80 Posts
glad to hear you are all safe sorry about blu

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5i/2018 Crosstrek limited
4,614 Posts
The main thing is that you and yours are safe and okay.

Cars can be replaced. A new car...whatever it is, will develop it's own character as you drive it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts