Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have the car up in a heated garage working on the clutch/engine I was going to try to find the cause of my road noise.

Whatever it is it has gotten worse over the last few months. It is defintly coming from transmission or behind. It is not related to engine RPM, only road speed.

I've checked all CV Boots and they are intact. All 4 wheel bearings seem tight, diff fluid was clean when changed a few weeks ago and all axles appear to be seated correctly.Tires are newer michelin defneders and a tire rotation did not change the noise

Anyone here ever have a u-joint go out on them? Looks like a pretty straight run without too much stress on a u-joint but after 140K I wouldn't be surprised if I have a u-joint binding.

If you have any other ideas I'd love to hear them before I drop the exhaust to inspect the drive shaft and bearings.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,137 Posts
I've had 2 bad wheel bearings on my WRX. One very distinctly made horrible noises but, when lifted, didn't move around.

The other one was very quiet, but moved about 2mm when 'rocked' up-down.

I've read that feeling the coilspring while turning the wheel can often reveal a rough bearing. Also, there is mixed reports of an infrared remote thermometer finding 20-30 degrees or more hotter temps on the hub with the bad bearing immediately after a highway run.

soob bearings seem to have 2-3 different failure modes.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Tight means nothing on wheel bearings. Remove the wheel and brakes fron the huba so the hub bearings will be the only thing you can hear. Then turn the hubs by hand. Bet you find the offending culprit very quickly.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those that have had a wheel bearing go out, did you notice a change in tone in a hard turn? Asside from feeling tight, I am not getting any tone change when I load up one side or another.

·
Registered
2010 OBW limited 2.5 CVT
1,602 Posts
Yes, Usually it will change with loading/unloading. It doesnt require a hard turn, just a slolam motion ( you don't even need enough to leave your lane on a straight road) will tell the tale. If it gets worse going left, check the right side. If no change in the slolam, you might also want to check the drive shaft support bearing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts