Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Last weekend I went camping up a dirt road, and I took my '99 OBS. Well, it was about 15 miles up a dirt road (mostly smooth, occasionally some gravel/ruts/bumps, etc), so needless to say, I didn't drive slow the whole way there and back (nothing more than 30 or 40 mph). However, now I seem to have a lot of "road noise" coming from the rear end while driving at any speed >30mph or so. I had my tires balanced and rotated after I got back from camping, which didn't seem to improve things at all.

I'm not sure where the noise is coming from specifically, but it does sound like it's coming from the rear. It's not a grinding noise, or anything that bad, just more like a low rumble...it honestly just sounds like my tires are REALLY loud, causing a lot of reverberation through the back of the OBS.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Matt

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mud tire noise? Do you mean the sound that mud tires make, or a sound caused by mud in my tires? I'm not sure what sound having mud in my tires would make, so I'll narrow that one out. However, now that you mention it, yeah, it might sound like the sound of mud tires (but a little deeper pitch, maybe?).

Wheel bearings...that doesn't sound good. :(

Matt

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
That sounds a bit fast for a bearing failure, is there any chance you have one or more small stones lodged somewhere in the brakes? Does it sound like a scraping at all?

Also, just on a wild guess, is there any chance there's something wrapped around the driveshaft?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It gets louder with speed, but not sure that it's really much worse at say, 60mph than it is at 40mph, etc. I don't think road texture seems to affect it at all.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
OK this is probably a dumb question, but have you checked you tires for small stones lodged in the treads? I've noticed quite a lot higher road noise from the tires right after going off road, hundreds of small (1/16 to 1/8 inch) stones lodge in the tread pattern. It seems to go away after some distance driving just on road..

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, already checked for that. Actually, when it first started happening, it's because my rear wheels were caked with about 1/16" of dust all the way around the inside of the wheel. I was hoping that was the cause of it all, but ...nope!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I would think that a failed bearing's sound would vary directly with speed. I asked about road texture thinking it might be some broken bushing that would transmit a rumble, but if that were the case you should be able to get different sounds out of it by driving on different surfaces.

Any chance you could have someone else drive it while you sit in back and try to isolate the source?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The_Lizard said:
Any chance you could have someone else drive it while you sit in back and try to isolate the source?
Yup, I think that's my next plan. I honestly have no idea where this noise is coming from.

Thanks for all the help,
Matt

·
Registered
78 Posts
Matt,

I believe you and I have the same thing going on. I have a MY2000 OBW Limited. About 20,000 miles ago (approx 70,000mi) a strange noise developed from my left rear side. I went through everything as far as putting in in nuetral while driving, rotating, balancing and even new tires to no avail. I let my wife ride with me to make sure that I wasn't crazy in my thought process. The noise has a low hollowness to it like it's resonating through the tire. Maybe like a single prop plane off in the distance.
I was worried that it had something more to do with the rear differential but it is to far to the left to be that. I thought possibly a rock inside the tire, but how could that get there( no way). Initially I thought it may be a patch on that tire from a flat but the rotation ruled that out. The left rear has no play and nothing looks odd externally. Since I have put 20,000 miles on it, it seems to be getting better. Definitely not as loud as it used to be. I'm fairly confident that it is the bearing. I'm just holding out before I get it changed. Car rides beautifully so I'm not in a big rush to get it fixed. I will probably wait til my 105,000 mile check up.

Charles

·
Registered
106 Posts
Still sounds like a wheel bearing,try getting on a road without traffic and get it to make the noise then swerve from side to side and see if the noise changes,you might also be able to tell what side.The only other way is to get it up on a lift and run it while someone listens with a screw driver to the back side of each spindle for the noise.Also check your tires for cupping,feather edging this will make the same noise as a wheel bearing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Baja Turbo
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing