Subaru Outback Forums banner

Road salt damage to engine?

6K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  brucep 
#1 ·
I'm looking at a 2013 Outback 2.5i Limited from Albany, NY and there seems to be quite a bit of
corrosion and oxidation on the engine compared to identical models from sunnier states. Can anyone
tell me if this is damage due to road salt? If so, is it normal? Merely cosmetic or indicative of future
issues? Thanks.

Attachments

See less See more
#9 ·
Flood damaged cars are only going to show up on a Carmax report if it made it into the system with an insurance claim or other paid repairs at a dealership or shop that would report it. If a personal owner cleaned up the obvious damage and got it running and then sold or traded it in it wouldn't show up as a flood damaged vehicle. This might happen if the person didn't have coverage to pay for the flood damage to the car.

Can't really tell much from that picture though. It seems out of the ordinary to me but it could very well be just normal corrosion if driven a lot in a high salt area, or as someone else mentioned if it sat for quite a while. The fact that it is being sold in an area different from where it was from could be a red flag unless there is a reasonable explanation for why it is there.

#10 ·
Sitting in grass can expedite oxidation, it harbors moisture and increase localized humidity. Is it a private sale sitting in the yard?

I'd heavily favor the "sunnier state" cars you're looking at over the northeast market.

Look under the car - the lower front of the engines coolant and ATF lines, and suspension/exhaust - that is where the problematic rust will be. Compare those areas.

I don't like the rust on that fuel line/bracket but that's minor.

#11 ·
It looks not that great to me... born raised and looked at lots of cars in Minnesota. We use more salt on the roads then they use in Corn Chips. That looks way too rusty and I would pass. You need to hunt for cars that come from sunnier states. I did on the last two cars and its been worth it. One from CO and one that wintered in AZ and came to MN in the summer. Never rush a car purchase... its the ones you rush on or think what you see is ok, are the ones that bit you.

O yeah I forgot

https://www.amazon.com/Block-Tester-BT-500-Combustion-Leak/dp/B06VVBSFTF/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1529961570&sr=8-4&keywords=combustion+leak+tester

Test its HG. Its worth the 36 buck investment.

#12 ·
Normally, road salt doesn't get into the top of the engine compartment. And now that I think about it more: in an inland area like Albany, it would be very rare that flooding would occur during the time of year when there's salt on the road.

If salt is the culprit, it's more commonly sea salt exposure from salt air mist or salt water incursion on a car that lives very close to the shore, like within a block or two of the ocean. (Maybe this car was a coastal storm victim during its time in Rhode Island.) Also note that road salt is only present during the winter, while salt air is year 'round.

#13 ·
If salt is the culprit, it's more commonly sea salt exposure from salt air mist or salt water incursion on a car that lives very close to the shore, like within a block or two of the ocean.
The Pacific Northwest is a pretty good location to keep a car a long time, as our mountain passes are sanded, not salted.

But as you note there is this issue at the coast; locals know not to park in certain locations:
https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-...f/2018/01/beauty_and_danger_massive_wave.html

As well as this one:
Firework revelers race tide to free dozens of stuck cars - Local News - The Daily Astorian

#14 ·
My take on this car is that it was probably not ever really maintained by the first owner like it could have. It looks like someone did do a halfway decent job at an under hood detailing of the car like a lot of dealerships do. I see a lot of used vehicles and you can tell if they have been taken care of. To me, this is pretty much typical NY State usage and really should not effect the vehicle.

#16 · (Edited)
Can anyone tell me if this is damage due to road salt?
Noone can say for certain... but that is EXACTLY what roadsalt does to aluminum. (especially if driver follows too close so the tire-spray from car infront gets into engine-compartment) If tire-spray is getting on your windshield, it is also going through the radiator into engine area.

If so, is it normal?
See previous answer.

Merely cosmetic or indicative of future issues?
Cosmetic to drivetrain.... but any salt in the nooks/crannies of the underside/suspension will continue to corrode anytime the weather is warm/humid. This can be minimized with COPIOUS amounts of water sprayed GENEROUSLY underneath the vehicle, radiator and underhood. (dont forget to spray the underside of the hood too) Also, driving for several hours in the rain goes a long way to rinsing things off underneath the vehicle.

Living in Vermont where chloride is used on the roads... it is a spring ritual to rinse my vehicles thoroughly. I have been known to get over 12 winters out of a vehicle when combined with annual oil-undercoating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.