Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone here on the forums that are 1. In California and 2. Interested in helping me scout and rate some roads for a drives database?

If so let me know.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Ah you mean off pavement. Thats central CA - eastern Sierra. almost 700 miles from my normal stomping grounds. I have a great off pavement book for that area written by a guy that has done some really cool stuff and does a great job writing up just about every place in CA you can leave black top. I'll see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
Ah you mean off pavement. Thats central CA - eastern Sierra. almost 700 miles from my normal stomping grounds. I have a great off pavement book for that area written by a guy that has done some really cool stuff and does a great job writing up just about every place in CA you can leave black top. I'll see if I can find it.
I'd be interested in that as well.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool, I am building a online resource with paved and non paved roads. I am not looking for the hard core trails for trucks. I am looking for Subaru roads AKA rally fun.

I will post what I have in a few to get the buzz going later this week. Still building out what I have already done.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Tony Huegel Byways he has a few books. He has a few trips around Mt Whitney but not seeing those roads.

Try looking into Wyman Creek Rd

The Narrows and Papoose Flat

And Alabama Hills via whitney portal rd.

His directions and write ups are pretty detailed these places are pretty remote always check in with the local ranger station to let them know your headed out there and where your going and also to find out if the roads are passable etc. The ranger stations have always been a great source of info for us down to bear problems in certain places etc.

I really like the trips he maps out.

Last year he road the old wagon trail did dirt from Oregon to Wyoming via duel sport. Crazy cool trip I want to hit some of the places he went with the subaru some day.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info.

Those are a little to far out. I have roads that are WAY closer to the bay and Sacramento.

If anyone else wants to scout roads let me know.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Those are a little to far out. I have roads that are WAY closer to the bay and Sacramento.

If anyone else wants to scout roads let me know.
No doubt if he's Bay Area there are plenty of much closer places to go but thats the area he was asking about.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area lots of stuff just up the hill from you in gold country just off 80. Not recommended once snow fall starts but after a good thaw there are lots of great trips back into some glacier sierra lakes which are a pile of fun. Again Tony Huegel Byways lists nearly all of them with great detail. I have done a bunch of them with the old Legacy GT more of just dirt roads with occasional technical spots that really aren't that tough but they are off the beaten path and take you to some great spots. Early spring with run off AWD is a must due to the water crossing and muddy spots but once you get into Mid July -August time frame its dry and much of it is perfectly doable in 2wd.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the Bay Area lots of stuff just up the hill from you in gold country just off 80. Not recommended once snow fall starts but after a good thaw there are lots of great trips back into some glacier sierra lakes which are a pile of fun. Again Tony Huegel Byways lists nearly all of them with great detail. I have done a bunch of them with the old Legacy GT more of just dirt roads with occasional technical spots that really aren't that tough but they are off the beaten path and take you to some great spots. Early spring with run off AWD is a must due to the water crossing and muddy spots but once you get into Mid July -August time frame its dry and much of it is perfectly doable in 2wd.
Yes there are people out there that list these. Tony Huegel Byways is a PAID for book. This is free and trying to make the most comprehensive online database with LOOPS not just listing a road.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Yes there are people out there that list these. Tony Huegel Byways is a PAID for book. This is free and trying to make the most comprehensive online database with LOOPS not just listing a road.
Gotcha - my experience is that loops vs destinations don't really matter. The views - and interesting things to see is what matters.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I am only familiar with drives in Inyo County - from Independence to June Lake a.k.a. Eastern Sierra. East and West of Hwy 395....East all the way to Pahrump, NV and West to Onion Valley, Mt. Whitney portal, Brown Lake near Bishop, etc. - in some 35 years or so, I have travelled most of them!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Independence lake is now owned by a non profit preservation group and open to the public from I recall June through October - they offer boat rentals - no outside boats allowed due to invasive species fears impacting some of the last native CA German Brown trout at the lake. The drive in is a bit of an adventure and once there the lake is a sight to see.

Just north of Truckee - very popular Snow mobile area during the winter months by the way.

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
There are also a number of PG&E owned sierra lakes that are fun to drive into and not that far from Sacramento. They also tend to see less traffic and offer some good primitive camping and great fishing early in the season late June through 2nd week of July if you can get into them due to snow vs no snow etc. Watch your self on the snow patches that might still sit in the shady spots they are some of the most challenging things any offroader will cross. I've seen some very very capable rigs stuck on the one patch of snow for the entire trip in or out. The freeze and thaw turns these last remaining patches of snow in to slick - challenging things to get across.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
4 Participants
Subyblue
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing