Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
2008 OB - After a 2 hour drive, my upper radiator hose has a small leak caused by contact with the fan. I see black rubber on the fan blade and I can feel a fingertip sized thin spot on the hose. Also seems to be small hole - thin layer of coolant on engine, but not pouring out. Can this be patched to get me home (~120mi.)? Going to check in the morning if local shop can fix, but curious about plan B. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
That self fusing silicone tape should work to patch small holes.

If the fan blade hit the hose, say you taped it up, what’s keeping it from hitting again?

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,326 Posts
Yes. You can purchase some self amalgamating repair tape often called “SOS Tape” or similar.

You simply clean the radiator hose of grease or dirt and then slightly stretch the tape as you wrap it around the radiator hose.

The tape will bond to the radiator hose and itself making a temporary repair.

Seagrass

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
1,212 Posts
wrap it and put an extra clamp over the repair. The cooling system get pressurized as it heats up so the clamp will help hold the rescue tape in place.

And yes, fix whatever is causing the fan to contact the hose. Obviously, if it remains that way the repair would also be compromised perhaps even faster since it will be bigger and closer to the fan.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm curious as to how the fan hit the hose unless the fan has a problem.
That self fusing silicone tape should work to patch small holes.

If the fan blade hit the hose, say you taped it up, what’s keeping it from hitting again?
Good point, walker. I was able to loosen the clamp and push the hose on more the get a little more clearance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts