Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to install an LED light string on the underside of the hood of my '17 Outback Premium to illuminate the engine bay. I've tried several kinds of pin switches, but due to the hood's geometry vis a vis the possible mounting locations, none of the switches I've found online are tall enough to push the shaft down to turn off the light when the hood is closed. So I'm thinking a rocker switch on the left side of the dash in one of the two open slots near the dashboard lighting brightness control will allow me to at least manually control the string. Does anyone know where I can find a rocker switch that will fit in one of those slots? Thanks for any help or guidance.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
i think you can get new from the dealers a switch that is generic but looks like what is in the same panel. (people have asked about that before here for that left hand panel and its existing blanks,...and such would "blend" right in on a almost new car,...vs. say a 1955 willy's jeep).

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,259 Posts
I've tried several kinds of pin switches, but due to the hood's geometry vis a vis the possible mounting locations, none of the switches I've found online are tall enough to push the shaft down to turn off the light when the hood is closed.
Have you tried adapting a magnetically actuated switch ... a simple reed switch, a home security door switch, etc.? That would avoid the necessity for physical contact with the hood.

In fact, the Subaru PIO remote start kit includes a "Hood Safety Switch" and mounting bracket that's mounted near the engine air filter. I'd probably start there, and look at how Subaru did it. Very likely you could even buy just the switch and bracket from Subaru parts. See: https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/do...Install Ins 4280714 Rev -_ENG_FRN_1-24-17.pdf.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Premium
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks to both of you. Those are excellent ideas. My car is due for service anyway, so I'll ask at the dealer about both the switch and the assembly for the magnetic hood switch for the starter kit. Just have to remember to tell them not to change the oil, as I do that myself. Wonder if they'll even notice the EZ drain valve I put in last change.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,491 Posts
Thanks to both of you. Those are excellent ideas. My car is due for service anyway, so I'll ask at the dealer about both the switch and the assembly for the magnetic hood switch for the starter kit. Just have to remember to tell them not to change the oil, as I do that myself. Wonder if they'll even notice the EZ drain valve I put in last change.

you may look and see if anyone ever reviewed that dealer. and comment on it or write about it.

Dealership Reviews - Subaru Outback - Subaru Outback Forums

1 - 5 of 5 Posts