Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are several threads here related to damage from mice / rodents. I'm in New Mexico and left my car at my house for a week. When I came back, the car started right up but all the warning lights were on / flashing. Mouse (or something) chewed and broke the wire to the temperature sensor which caused the cascade of warnings. Expensive to repair, but it's working now. I've looked into this a bit and found articles about manufacturers moving to a soy-based material (rather than petroleum) for wire insulation. Turns out that seems to make the wires more attractive to rodents (makes sense). I've heard that this may affect Japanese cars more than others, but I don't know if that's true.

There's a class action suit against Toyota winding its way through the courts that at least a part of the damage should be covered under warranty. I'm curious if anyone has heard anything about an actions regarding Subaru. Car insurance covers this, I believe, but for me the deductible ($500) would be most of the $700 cost.

Just curious.

Tom

·
Registered
224 Posts
Tom, why not sue the Rodents...they did the damage, or the owners who didn't put out rat bait? I've had those critters eat leather seat upholstery, carpeting and make nests in air filters. Never a pleasant discovery or smell and learned early on "Black Cat" rat bait around a garage make them run for water, which dehydrates and leaves nothing but some fuzz. Comes in a pet proof plastic housing. You can find it in the rat department of Ace hardware.

Edit: Rats/mice have eaten wiring insulation in cars for the past 100 years. I don't know what the insulation was made of back in the day.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry if you think I am wasting space posting this. Yes there has always been issues with rodents. What I've read, however, suggests that the new wiring insulation is greatly exacerbating the issue. Here's an example.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/oakland/2018/05/07/rats-rodents-cars-vehicles/578398002/

I live in a semi-rural area and don't have a garage. I'm glad your solution works for you. If you scan the forums here for rodent damage you will find many people have tried lots of approaches with limited success.

But my main purpose of the post was to see if anyone had heard of any actions similar to the Toyota situation regarding Subaru (or other car makers).

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
First I’ve heard of it.... and hadn’t heard of anything for Subaru.

Now, it IS somewhat funny that a lawyer in CA is the one representing the plaintiff that is suing Toyota for making their wire insulation out of a soy based product.

The lawyer sounds like he wears a cheap polyester suit and has an office next to a laundromat at a strip mall.

“He said he has heard that in the past, rats periodically chewed through wires in vehicles for nesting materials and to sharpen their teeth. But, he said, "we think the addition of soy in the insulation has taken the episode of rats chewing through the wires through the roof."

Kabateck said while Toyota claims this is not more likely to happen with soy-based than petroleum-based products "we continue to have a hard time believing that" based on the number of people calling the firm and its own investigation, including talking to service employees and others at dealerships.

He didn't have a specific number of people impacted, but said it's possibly "tens of thousands affected." “

“We think”.... “have a hard time believing”.... yeah, this one is hoping to settle out of court for small bills.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, no kidding. I saw that exchange as well. I asked my service mgr about the wiring question when I picked up the car and he said yes he'd heard about it but didn't have any further information. It wouldn't have an impact on the frequency of interior damage unless the wiring helped attract them. That seems a little much to assume. But I can believe that it makes the wiring more appealing to chew. If it is true, it will be an example of unintended consequences of trying to move to a more environmentally friendly product (which I support).

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I was selling a Pilot back to the dealer recently and the salesman brought up the subject when he told me Honda does not use soy based anything and that I should consider replacing my Outback with a Honda. The Pilot may have been less tasty but I didn't like it enough to switch.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Viable solution: Duct tape a couple of Black Cat plastic cartridges (refillable) on an under hood fender or wherever; got to be more delectable than wiring insulation. You cannot put out a fire without killing the source of the fire as it will re-ignite.

EDIT: Tom if you are going to leave the car out again, while you are out of town, Just saw this ad, tape it under the hood...??:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
It’s sometimes hard to stop those little buggers! Dad had a mid 1980s Ford that mice chewed the wires and it eventually caught on fire and burned up. I’ve had squirrels chew through a car battery charger wire while it was on the car charging the battery.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
It’s sometimes hard to stop those little buggers! Dad had a mid 1980s Ford that mice chewed the wires and it eventually caught on fire and burned up. I’ve had squirrels chew through a car battery charger while it was on the car charging the battery.
@Squirrel!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Personally, I think we should sue everyone.

Now, before you tune out, hear me out.

I think suing everyone, and every company, will solve our problems, all of them. Someone cuts you off in traffic? Sue them. You get in a car accident? Sue the radio station for playing a good song during rush hour, thus distracting you.

Or maybe sue the civil engineer for not making the grade 15 degrees rather than 14.5 degrees which may have resulted in an accident.

I'd like to file a lawsuit against everyone to cover all the stuff that happens everywhere, all the time.

But before I do that, maybe I'll move for a preliminary injunction against everyone to prevent more stuff from happening during the adjudication of my main lawsuit.

Yeah, that's what I am going to do. Me v. Everyone et. al. That's it.

Stuff happens? Sue someone. Doesn't matter who. Just sue them. That will get their attention.

Got no case, no facts, no theory, no chance of winning? Sue them anyway, I say.

Sue them till they bleed.

How much did they make in profits last year? Well, we'd better sue them for making so much money. Because we KNOW that the more money people have, the more likely they're guilty of something, right?

Maybe if we sue everyone people will wake up and realize that they have an obligation to make sure that stuff doesn't happen to me.

See, suing everyone sounds good doesn't it?

Well, this raises the interesting issue of where to hold a trial when you sue everyone, never mind who would sit on the jury since the potential jurors would be part of the defendant class. Well, I think I'll have to file a companion lawsuit naming the founders of our country for not foreseeing my need to sue everyone. Yeah, that's it.

So, sue em all. That's the answer. It's the American way.

If I could sue everybody, I would. Maybe then people would wake up and take responsibility for the stuff that JUST HAPPENS to me. It ain't my fault, I know that. I'm the victim, and I want to sue someone.

Where's my Yellow Pages?

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Well, I think I'll have to file a companion lawsuit naming the founders of our country for not foreseeing my need to sue everyone. Yeah, that's it.
I'm too lazy to go through all that work with suing everybody. I'll wait it out and if you are successful on this one I will just stand in line to receive my share of the reparations that will be due me.

·
Super Moderator
9,618 Posts
Personally, I think we should sue everyone.

Now, before you tune out, hear me out.

I think suing everyone, and every company, will solve our problems, all of them. Someone cuts you off in traffic? Sue them. You get in a car accident? Sue the radio station for playing a good song during rush hour, thus distracting you.

Or maybe sue the civil engineer for not making the grade 15 degrees rather than 14.5 degrees which may have resulted in an accident.

I'd like to file a lawsuit against everyone to cover all the stuff that happens everywhere, all the time.

But before I do that, maybe I'll move for a preliminary injunction against everyone to prevent more stuff from happening during the adjudication of my main lawsuit.

Yeah, that's what I am going to do. Me v. Everyone et. al. That's it.

Stuff happens? Sue someone. Doesn't matter who. Just sue them. That will get their attention.

Got no case, no facts, no theory, no chance of winning? Sue them anyway, I say.

Sue them till they bleed.

How much did they make in profits last year? Well, we'd better sue them for making so much money. Because we KNOW that the more money people have, the more likely they're guilty of something, right?

Maybe if we sue everyone people will wake up and realize that they have an obligation to make sure that stuff doesn't happen to me.

See, suing everyone sounds good doesn't it?

Well, this raises the interesting issue of where to hold a trial when you sue everyone, never mind who would sit on the jury since the potential jurors would be part of the defendant class. Well, I think I'll have to file a companion lawsuit naming the founders of our country for not foreseeing my need to sue everyone. Yeah, that's it.

So, sue em all. That's the answer. It's the American way.

If I could sue everybody, I would. Maybe then people would wake up and take responsibility for the stuff that JUST HAPPENS to me. It ain't my fault, I know that. I'm the victim, and I want to sue someone.

Where's my Yellow Pages?
This post made me spit my coffee out and now my vintage model m keyboard is ruined.

I'm suing you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The soy-based wire insulation is a direct result of federal mandates to reduce and meet production emissions target.... everyone wants a green environment.....this is one example of cause and affect...... the rodents have been doing damage to crops, buildings, food stores, causing illness for thousands of years..... and will continue to do so and no lawsuit is going to change that. If the insurance lobby, who has the greatest to gain, couldn’t influence change, no amount of class action lawyers will.... there’s been more than 20-years of unsuccessful lawsuits against Toyota and others regarding mice damage.

Also, IF a class action lawsuit were to be successful, the “plaintiff class” wouldn’t get much.....the many law firms working on the action would get the lion share of any proceeds.... the “plaintiff class” would get maybe $100 each if that....for their troubles.

If ya live in a rodent prone area, it’s incumbent upon people to deploy countermeasures

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
This post made me spit my coffee out and now my vintage model m keyboard is ruined.

I'm suing you.
good model M keyboards are getting hard to find... still using my old one from my PS/2 model 25 (keyboard is a late 1980s vintage). Always keep 1-2 reconditioned ones in the closet just in case (even Schroeder kept spare pianos in the closet as spares)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I tried spraying coyote urine or something like it, around the car each night but neighbours complained of the epic smell. For us the issue is rabbits, especially in April when they wake from hibernation, starving as ****, with little food around. At least ten vehicles on my street suffered wiring damage two years ago. The guy at the garage told me to put out a bird feeder in the area, that will keep critters from looking for tastier foods. Seems to work.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts