Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son decided to try the safety ratings of his 2000 Outback Legacy by rolling the car once this weekend. I was impressed. The body looks bad, but everyone inside was safe. Didn't even have any scratches to show for the tumble. :)

My question is while the body of the car looks horrible, the engine, drive train, interior and everything else is fine. In fact he drove it home after the incident. Not one fluid leak. My husband and I are trying to decide whether to sell as is or to scrap the car. The engine has approximately 180,000 miles and just had the timing and head gasket replaced. Would there be any interest in this vehicle or parts of the vehicle in the Subie world? :confused:

·
Registered
98 Outback Limited DOHC 5spd
14 Posts
I drove a 2000 OB Limited for 2 years after my ex rolled it. The body was all banged up but all glass was good, even both sunroofs operated normally. I still have it actually. I kept it as a parts car bc I have another 2000 OB and a Baja and my little brother has an 02 OB Limited. If you have the space and are going to be driving more of this body style I would keep it for sure. The engine with replaced gaskets is a high ticket item as it is a sure thing they will fail on everyone's car at some point. Recoup the cost of the gasket repair in selling the engine alone. If it is an auto, and there is not that horrible 3 second or worse forward shift engagement delay, the trans is worth another 600. Not to mention all the little odds and ends from one end of the car to the other. Its a parts gold mine. If it were me (ive got the space and ability to swap all these parts), I would keep it and replace it with another of the same style. An OB limited with all the bells and whistles can be found with blown gaskets easily and they are CHEAP ~ $1000... Either way, dont scrap it as-is bc you are throwing away money. That is my .02. Good luck! Glad to hear everyone is unscathed!

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Let the insurance total it and pay you for it's pre-damage value.
If it wasn't insured, tell your son to pay you for the pre-damaged value.
Logistically, parting out a car online is difficult.
A wrecker will pay you $300 for your car.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,646 Posts
glad everyone is OK.

·
Registered
13 E350
984 Posts
Let him keep driving it for at least 3-4 month especially to public areas. Once he accepts it's not a racecar then put for sale sign in a window you might get some money for it.

·
Registered
2012 limited, white, no moonroof or nav
1,698 Posts
It is only really worth keeping if someone in your family wanted it because they had a good body with a blown engine/driveline. You could sell it on Craig's list as is, but puting up with the low ballers and wackos that it will attract would not be worth it to me.

With 180k on it, probably best to just take what you can from insurance, if any, and fugeddaboudit.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Let him keep driving it for at least 3-4 month especially to public areas. Once he accepts it's not a racecar then put for sale sign in a window you might get some money for it.
I like that idea. Tell the son, "congratulations, you just bought my Subaru, that will be $3,000. I will waive the $3,000 fee if you promise to drive it for 6 months. The back window must be written in white shoe polish marker using the words, "I wrecked my dad's car and now he is making me drive it".

·
Registered
2009 Outback 2.5i SE
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My son decided to try the safety ratings of his 2000 Outback Legacy by rolling the car once this weekend. I was impressed. The body looks bad, but everyone inside was safe. Didn't even have any scratches to show for the tumble. :)

My question is while the body of the car looks horrible, the engine, drive train, interior and everything else is fine. In fact he drove it home after the incident. Not one fluid leak. My husband and I are trying to decide whether to sell as is or to scrap the car. The engine has approximately 180,000 miles and just had the timing and head gasket replaced. Would there be any interest in this vehicle or parts of the vehicle in the Subie world? :confused:
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Luckily it was his car that he paid for himself. Lesson learned. For those of you that don't live in the country where there are still dirt roads, loose gravel on curves is just as treacherous as an icy road no matter what speed you are driving.

·
Registered
01 Outback H6 VDC, 97 GT wgn w/ ej22, 98 OBW w/ej22
1,401 Posts
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. Luckily it was his car that he paid for himself. Lesson learned. For those of you that don't live in the country where there are still dirt roads, loose gravel on curves is just as treacherous as an icy road no matter what speed you are driving.

where are you located?

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Your son can buy a clean body and do the swap of the working gear. Seems like a good idea if all the running gear on the wrecked car is fine and you know its history.

Been driving dirt roads my whole life - only time people wreck cars on dirt roads is when they'er going too fast ;-) - OB rally car yea BABY!!! Oh shoot were on our lid.
He learned a lesson and will probably be far far safer now and a bit smarter about getting jiggy on the dirt. ;-)

Glad everyone is OK

1 - 11 of 11 Posts