Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, Ice Silver/Titanium Gray Leather Interior
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to lease a 2018 Outback Limited. The dealership includes first four maintenance visits at no charge. (Up to 24K Miles)

Does it make sense to roll in the 30mo & 36mo service into the lease? The 36mo is a pricier $675 service I believe.

Welcome your wisdom.

·
Banned
6,264 Posts
Sort of depends. How many years are you leasing it for and how many miles a year.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,450 Posts
Pretty pricey for what I'd view as one oil change.

Reactions: mowcowbell

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's because the 30K recommended maintenance isn't just an oil change and tire rotation.
Correct. The 30K Mile service is around $450 and includes an AWD service.

I took delivery on the vehicle last night and opted out of adding that maintenance into my monthly cost. Decided I'll suck it up when the time comes.

·
Registered
2021 MGM Outback 2.5i Premium with Tungsten Grey seats
2,465 Posts
If you can do the air filters yourself (they're SUPER easy), I found that the 30K mile service was little more than oil change, tire rotation and diff service. The diff service (at my dealer, at the time) was only $100 on top of the cost of the oil change.

Look at your maintenance booklet (included with your owner's manual) and compare the 5K and 30K services and you'll see what you're REALLY getting for that $400 upcharge for the "30K mile service". Hint - it's not much. When I broached the topic with a service advisor at my dealer (when it came time for my 2011), as she rattled off the items and I said "did it" the end result was oil change and diff service.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,450 Posts
Correct. The 30K Mile service is around $450 and includes an AWD service.
What's included in this AWD service? All I see in the maintenance book besides oil and filters is "inspect" through 60K, then replace plugs.
I suggest just inspecting the floor to see if you've left your diff and CVT fluids there.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
228 Posts
Financing maintenance costs is going to cost your more in the long run, right? And what does the contract say (if anything) about those up-front maintenance costs should the car be totaled or stolen before those services you've paid for come due? Refund? SOL?

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Financing maintenance costs is going to cost your more in the long run, right? And what does the contract say (if anything) about those up-front maintenance costs should the car be totaled or stolen before those services you've paid for come due? Refund? SOL?
Point taken. I declined rolling the Maintenance into the monthly lease payments. Strikes me as one of those up sell things that Finance departments offer. I will suck it up and deal with the maintenance when the time comes.

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Outback (green)
266 Posts
I look at pre-paid maintenance like this:

1) If your dealer asked you to pay in advance for the next two years of scheduled service visits (based on current price) would you do it?
Yes = do it
No = don't do it

2) If no, and they offered you a 10% (or whatever the number works out to be) discount for doing so, would you change your mind?
Yes = do it
No = don't do it

There are some assumptions in the decision:
* you understand exactly what services are included, what work items are in those services
* you believe the current prices for those included services are reasonable
* you believe the prices for those services will remain constant or increase
* you believe whatever dealer is performing the service will do a quality job and complete all work items
* you believe the total discount you receive exceeds the sum of interest from financing the cost and your potential investment return had you kept the money

Some things to consider:
* what would you do with the money if you didn't spend it in advance? Invest at 5% interest?
* what will Subaru do with the money you've spent in advance?

Given all these things, it'd have to be one **** of a discount to be worth it.

Jason

1 - 11 of 11 Posts