Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in one of the threads regarding the steering column recall. I just wanted to share in a separate thread in this section how I was treated by Romano Subaru in Syracuse, NY while dealing with the steering column recall for my new Outback.

I talked to the service manager first thing this morning, and he said they didn't have loaners or rentals and to call Subaru. When I tried to call back later he was "with a customer" or "in a meeting" each time. Eventually, I had my Outback towed there. The service advisors seemed disorganized and surprised that I was there for a recall. After the technician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, the service advisor called the general manager back. He kept asking where I got my car from, because it wasn't them. I asked about loaners or rental cars, and he told me it was Subaru's problem and to call them, and he walked away. So I was stranded at the dealership calling Subaru, and arranging my own vehicle. Later an elderly gentleman had the same problem. He didn't know what to do for another vehicle. I mentioned to a group of employees that they should be handling arranging the vehicles for us. They did nothing. A while later an employee (apparently the business manager) came and got the gentleman to look for a rental. I somewhat sarcastically said "Thanks for doing something". The business manager then pointed at me and said "Never tell me how to run this facility. Did you hear me never tell me how to run this facility." I said that he should be open to comments from customers. He then asked if wanted to "take it outside". When I left no service advisors knew when they were getting parts or when my car might be fixed.

·
Administrator
4,351 Posts
FWIW, most dealerships will not give you a service loaner unless you purchase your vehicle from that dealership. Standard policy across the industry.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FWIW, most dealerships will not give you a service loaner unless you purchase your vehicle from that dealership. Standard policy across the industry.
Even in the case of a recall? Regardless, this is part of an email I later received from Subaru: "For your convenience, your retailer will provide you a loaner or rental vehicle at no cost until your car has been repaired."

The dealer should have been coordinating rental vehicles in that case or at least explain how the process works. I tried asking several times over the phone and no one would provide an answer to what I thought was a simple question. Even after I arrived they did not want to help. The general manager told me to call Subaru and walked away.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
Not out to muddy the waters too much, but Dealer A sold me my used 2006 Outback in 2010.

It was involved in the Takata airbag recall.

I called Dealer B to have the service done, and they immediately offered me a loaner. I spent that day in a brand new Forester.

From my point of view the big difference is that the airbag recall had been going on for some time by the time I was notified. It wasn't a hot news item- they had time to react and plan ahead.

Mind you there's also a big difference between being told not to drive the car at all and being told not to carry a passenger in the front seat. At least I had limited use of my car until the repair was scheduled.

·
Administrator
4,351 Posts
Even in the case of a recall? Regardless, this is part of an email I later received from Subaru: "For your convenience, your retailer will provide you a loaner or rental vehicle at no cost until your car has been repaired."

The dealer should have been coordinating rental vehicles in that case or at least explain how the process works. I tried asking several times over the phone and no one would provide an answer to what I thought was a simple question. Even after I arrived they did not want to help. The general manager told me to call Subaru and walked away.
Please understand that a dealership does not necessarily represent SOA, they provide Subaru products and services but ultimately they represent themselves as a business first and foremost. If there is a corporate mandate from SOA then SOA is responsible for enforcing it.

I have been on both sides as someone who has worked for 3 different dealerships, I have had and otherwise seen bad experiences as a customer and someone in the business. I have also been running this site for 12+ years and have read through plenty of accounts like yours. Have you contacted the BBB?

Thank you for sharing your experience thus far and I do hope you continue to keep us updated.
Not out to muddy the waters too much, but Dealer A sold me my used 2006 Outback in 2010.

It was involved in the Takata airbag recall.

I called Dealer B to have the service done, and they immediately offered me a loaner. I spent that day in a brand new Forester.

From my point of view the big difference is that the airbag recall had been going on for some time by the time I was notified. It wasn't a hot news item- they had time to react and plan ahead.

Mind you there's also a big difference between being told not to drive the car at all and being told not to carry a passenger in the front seat. At least I had limited use of my car until the repair was scheduled.
This sounds like a case in which it is up to the discretion of the dealership. I heard a story last week about a Jeep dealership in Tennessee that was giving away a shotgun with every new vehicle purchase. That should not suggest that a dealership in Boston or Topeka or Santa Barbara will or even should do the same just because.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Motor vehicle recalls are very strictly controlled by federal law. You should file a complaint with NHTSA as they take compliance very seriously. More information can be found on NHTSA's website. NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight

FYI, here is the link to this particular recall and if you read through the eight associated documents you will get a clearer understanding of the recall and what the manufacturer and dealers are required to do as well as the notifications required to be sent to the vehicle owners. It makes for some very interesting reading. As an aside, I feel sorry for the one 2015 caught up in this recall.

| Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great treatment from Stohlman Subaru in Sterling, VA!

In all fairness, I want to thank and applaud Stohlman Subaru in Sterling Virginia for taking great care of me - even though I did not buy my 2016 Outback from them. I called them first thing Friday morning, because they are only about 5 miles from my house. (I really wanted to buy my Outback from them, but unfortunately they would not even try to match the offer I was given from Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD). At any rate, when I called Stohlman Subaru's Service Manager around 7:30 am, he quickly took my information (including the fact that I had not bought my Outback from them), and then immediately sent a Technician to my house. It was quickly confirmed that I need the repair, so the Tech drove me to the dealership and contacted Enterprise rental and a towing company. Within about 90 minutes, I was back at my house with a 2016 Hyundai Sonata (nice car, but will really miss my Outback) and a tow truck came and towed mine to the dealer.

I am very thankful to Tom at Stohlman Subaru Service for taking care of this for me so well. Hopefully the next time I buy a Subaru, the sales people will treat me the same.

2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Tungsten with Eyesight

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Please understand that a dealership does not necessarily represent SOA, they provide Subaru products and services but ultimately they represent themselves as a business first and foremost. If there is a corporate mandate from SOA then SOA is responsible for enforcing it.

I have been on both sides as someone who has worked for 3 different dealerships, I have had and otherwise seen bad experiences as a customer and someone in the business. I have also been running this site for 12+ years and have read through plenty of accounts like yours. Have you contacted the BBB?

Thank you for sharing your experience thus far and I do hope you continue to keep us updated.

This sounds like a case in which it is up to the discretion of the dealership. I heard a story last week about a Jeep dealership in Tennessee that was giving away a shotgun with every new vehicle purchase. That should not suggest that a dealership in Boston or Topeka or Santa Barbara will or even should do the same just because.
I was going to wait until I got my vehicle back repaired or towed elsewhere before filing something with the BBB and having them contact the dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motor vehicle recalls are very strictly controlled by federal law. You should file a complaint with NHTSA as they take compliance very seriously. More information can be found on NHTSA's website. NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight

FYI, here is the link to this particular recall and if you read through the eight associated documents you will get a clearer understanding of the recall and what the manufacturer and dealers are required to do as well as the notifications required to be sent to the vehicle owners. It makes for some very interesting reading. As an aside, I feel sorry for the one 2015 caught up in this recall.

| Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)
Thanks for the information. I am not sure this rises to contacting the NHTSA. They didn't say they would not repair my vehicle. They were simply jerks every step of the way.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I was going to wait until I got my vehicle back repaired or towed elsewhere before filing something with the BBB and having them contact the dealer.
If it were me I would NEVER have left my car there after that BS went down, you drove it in and could have very well drove it out, or had it towed out to the next dealer.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it were me I would NEVER have left my car there after that BS went down, you drove it in and could have very well drove it out, or had it towed out to the next dealer.
It is a do not drive recall. It couldn't be driven anywhere. Perhaps I should have had it towed then. It has been towed now by another somewhat local dealer.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Franchise or not, the dealership must honor all of the provisions of the recall.
If not, contact the SOA Customer Service hotline and advi them of the problem. I betcha, they'll find a new way of caring to help.

Here is the notice I got from SOA.

Important News - Please open and read immediately

Subaru - Confidence in Motion
IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL
Subaru Recall Campaign WTD-65
NHTSA Recall No. 16V-292
Loss of Steering Ability

May 2016

Dear Subaru Owner:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

SUBARU OF AMERICA, INC. has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2016 and 2017 model year Legacy and Outback vehicles.

You received this notice because our records indicate that you currently own one of these vehicles.

DESCRIPTION OF THE SAFETY RISK
The steering column in your vehicle may not have been manufactured to specification. An incorrect tool setting during the manufacturing process may have resulted in improper machining of one of the steering column shafts. If this condition exists, turning the steering wheel may have no effect on the direction of the wheels, increasing the risk of a crash.

Your vehicle is not safe to drive if this potential defect is present.

WHAT YOU SHOULD DO
Please contact your retailer (dealer) as soon as possible to make arrangements to have your vehicle towed to their facility, at no cost to you, and inspected. If the inspection determines that the defect is not present, the vehicle will be safe to drive. If the defect is found, the steering column will be replaced.
Please do not drive your car until it has been inspected and, if necessary, the recall repair has been performed.

If you prefer to make alternative arrangements for having your vehicle towed to your retailer, you may contact the Subaru Roadside Assistance Program at 1-800-261-2155.

For your convenience, your retailer will provide you a loaner or rental vehicle at no cost until your car has been repaired.

REPAIR
Subaru will inspect the lot number on the steering column in your vehicle to determine if it needs to be replaced. If replacement is necessary, a new steering column will be installed in your vehicle. The inspection and possible replacement will be performed at no cost to you.

HOW LONG WILL THE REPAIR TAKE?
The time to inspect the lot number to determine if your steering column needs to be replaced is approximately 10 minutes. If the steering column needs to be replaced, the repair will take approximately one hour. However, it may be necessary to leave your vehicle for a longer period of time on the day of your scheduled appointment to allow your Subaru retailer flexibility in scheduling.

CHANGED YOUR ADDRESS OR SOLD YOUR SUBARU?

If you have moved or sold your vehicle, please update this information online at Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Crossovers, Wagons | Subaru of America, select ‘Customer Support,’ then select ‘Address Update’ or ‘Ownership Update’ from the drop down menu.

IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE:

To locate the nearest Subaru retailer, you can access our website at Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Crossovers, Wagons | Subaru of America and select ‘Find a Retailer.’

For additional information, please go to: http://www.wtd65.service-campaign.com.

If you need additional assistance, please contact us directly:

By email: Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs, Crossovers, Wagons | Subaru of America, Customer Support and select “Contact Us”
By telephone: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)
Monday through Thursday between 7:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. ET
Friday between 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET
Saturday between 9:00 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. ET
By U.S. Postal mail:
Subaru of America, Inc.
Attn: Customer-Retailer Services Department
P.O. Box 6000
Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000
Please contact us immediately if the Subaru retailer fails or is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge.

You may also contact the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE, West Building, Washington, DC 20590 or call the toll free Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153) or go to Home | Safercar -- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) if you believe the Subaru retailer has failed or is unable to remedy your vehicle without charge within a reasonable amount of time.

Your continued satisfaction with your Subaru is important to us. Please understand that we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle’s proper operation. We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this matter may cause and urge you to schedule an appointment as soon as possible to have this repair performed.

Sincerely,
Subaru of America, Inc.

A subsidiary of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Romano Subaru has been great to me. I had an 06 Outback 2.5i and was on the waiting list for airbag since December 2015. In the meantime I bought a 2006 Outback 3.0 R VDC in June from Craigslist and brought it to them to have it looked over. They found a bunch of stuff wrong that I didn't known about. As long I scheduled it in advance they gave me free loaner. When they got air bags in they did that recall and gave me a free loaner. While they had it I had them replace back brake pads and turn rotors. Three days later my back brake lines blew out. They said the recall had been done by previous owner and didn't know if it would be covered by recall or not. They did not have a loaner for me that day so they said to be patient and they would let me know. Two days later they gave me a practically new Forester with 900 miles to on it to drive and said my car (2006 3.0R with 120,000 miles) That I did NOT buy there would be covered for the recall. WHEW that made me feel better. They also said it might take a while to get parts and it is not a simple job to replace rear, lines, 10-13 hours. It took three weeks to get parts in and do the job but I had brand new loaner to drive so I was okay with it.
Bottom line if you can schedule service in advance for when they have a loaner available you should be able to get one. they are super busy with all these Takata Airbag recalls and loaners are hard to get on short notice. They were very nice to me and even put up with me calling every day to check on my car until they got me a loaner.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ive had service and recalls done several times at Romano for cars I didn't buy there. They are decent guys from my experience, and have given me discounts when I had to wait too long. They even offered me a loaner when my alignment and tire mounting was behind schedule. Was it Dave Vito who you took issue with? Side note: The parts guy, Josh, at Romano is one of the best in the business.

I would think your experience is not the norm there. They are always slammed with business. One thing I did notice, and I'm not saying this describes you, is that 1 out of every 10 customers was a complete pain in the butt to the service advisors. I felt bad for them!

·
Registered
807 Posts
It's all about dedication to customer centric service

I finally dropped my OB off Tuesday afternoon for the steering shaft recall. Got a call to pick it up by end of the work day Wednesday. Since it was a scheduled appointment, the service department had pre-arranged for a rental assuming the shaft would need to be replaced add upon VIN and date of manufacture. We had a new legacy undergo the recall nearly 2-month go and it only took 2-days to get it in the midst of the recall fray.

Rental was ready and in place with no fuss. Both vehicles were returned with correctly aligned steering wheels, no damage to dash panels, clean and no damage (minor or otherwise) to the exterior as several members have reported.

Every employee I've encountered at the dealership are respectful, courteous and willing to assist in any means or manner to ensure the customer experience is favorable. If/when I ask questions, the make every effort to ensure I understand and satisfied with answer..... I am not treated with condescension.

When I call to make a service appointment, within minutes I receive an email that confirms the appointment and there is a followup email reminder plus a robo call reminder as well leading up the date of the appointment.

It's obvious the dealership's core mission is customer satisfaction and offering the best possible customer experience.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive had service and recalls done several times at Romano for cars I didn't buy there. They are decent guys from my experience, and have given me discounts when I had to wait too long. They even offered me a loaner when my alignment and tire mounting was behind schedule. Was it Dave Vito who you took issue with? Side note: The parts guy, Josh, at Romano is one of the best in the business.

I would think your experience is not the norm there. They are always slammed with business. One thing I did notice, and I'm not saying this describes you, is that 1 out of every 10 customers was a complete pain in the butt to the service advisors. I felt bad for them!
I try to be polite to the service advisors. It isn't their fault that I am visiting.

Dave Vito was the service manager that I dealt with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
2014 Impreza bought new there no complaints

Family member purchased there new 2014 Impreza from Romano. They also have had service done there and no complaints. She is an easy customer and they offered the best deal and quickest delivery on their inbound shipment (none of her local 3 had her options/model).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not my experience at all, especially with luxury brands such as BMW and Porsche. Nissan even paid for a rental from Enterprise when my 15 year old Pathfinder was recalled.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts