Subaru Outback Forums banner

Romano Subaru - Syracuse, NY - Terrible customer sevice for recall & threatened

7K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  ragnar 
#1 ·
I posted this in one of the threads regarding the steering column recall. I just wanted to share in a separate thread in this section how I was treated by Romano Subaru in Syracuse, NY while dealing with the steering column recall for my new Outback.

I talked to the service manager first thing this morning, and he said they didn't have loaners or rentals and to call Subaru. When I tried to call back later he was "with a customer" or "in a meeting" each time. Eventually, I had my Outback towed there. The service advisors seemed disorganized and surprised that I was there for a recall. After the technician confirmed that it needed to be replaced, the service advisor called the general manager back. He kept asking where I got my car from, because it wasn't them. I asked about loaners or rental cars, and he told me it was Subaru's problem and to call them, and he walked away. So I was stranded at the dealership calling Subaru, and arranging my own vehicle. Later an elderly gentleman had the same problem. He didn't know what to do for another vehicle. I mentioned to a group of employees that they should be handling arranging the vehicles for us. They did nothing. A while later an employee (apparently the business manager) came and got the gentleman to look for a rental. I somewhat sarcastically said "Thanks for doing something". The business manager then pointed at me and said "Never tell me how to run this facility. Did you hear me never tell me how to run this facility." I said that he should be open to comments from customers. He then asked if wanted to "take it outside". When I left no service advisors knew when they were getting parts or when my car might be fixed.

See less See more
#4 ·
Even in the case of a recall? Regardless, this is part of an email I later received from Subaru: "For your convenience, your retailer will provide you a loaner or rental vehicle at no cost until your car has been repaired."

The dealer should have been coordinating rental vehicles in that case or at least explain how the process works. I tried asking several times over the phone and no one would provide an answer to what I thought was a simple question. Even after I arrived they did not want to help. The general manager told me to call Subaru and walked away.

#7 ·
Motor vehicle recalls are very strictly controlled by federal law. You should file a complaint with NHTSA as they take compliance very seriously. More information can be found on NHTSA's website. NHTSA | Recalls Spotlight

FYI, here is the link to this particular recall and if you read through the eight associated documents you will get a clearer understanding of the recall and what the manufacturer and dealers are required to do as well as the notifications required to be sent to the vehicle owners. It makes for some very interesting reading. As an aside, I feel sorry for the one 2015 caught up in this recall.

| Safercar | National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA)

#8 ·
Great treatment from Stohlman Subaru in Sterling, VA!

In all fairness, I want to thank and applaud Stohlman Subaru in Sterling Virginia for taking great care of me - even though I did not buy my 2016 Outback from them. I called them first thing Friday morning, because they are only about 5 miles from my house. (I really wanted to buy my Outback from them, but unfortunately they would not even try to match the offer I was given from Fitzgerald Subaru in Rockville, MD). At any rate, when I called Stohlman Subaru's Service Manager around 7:30 am, he quickly took my information (including the fact that I had not bought my Outback from them), and then immediately sent a Technician to my house. It was quickly confirmed that I need the repair, so the Tech drove me to the dealership and contacted Enterprise rental and a towing company. Within about 90 minutes, I was back at my house with a 2016 Hyundai Sonata (nice car, but will really miss my Outback) and a tow truck came and towed mine to the dealer.

I am very thankful to Tom at Stohlman Subaru Service for taking care of this for me so well. Hopefully the next time I buy a Subaru, the sales people will treat me the same.

2016 Outback 2.5 Limited, Tungsten with Eyesight

#14 ·
Romano Subaru has been great to me. I had an 06 Outback 2.5i and was on the waiting list for airbag since December 2015. In the meantime I bought a 2006 Outback 3.0 R VDC in June from Craigslist and brought it to them to have it looked over. They found a bunch of stuff wrong that I didn't known about. As long I scheduled it in advance they gave me free loaner. When they got air bags in they did that recall and gave me a free loaner. While they had it I had them replace back brake pads and turn rotors. Three days later my back brake lines blew out. They said the recall had been done by previous owner and didn't know if it would be covered by recall or not. They did not have a loaner for me that day so they said to be patient and they would let me know. Two days later they gave me a practically new Forester with 900 miles to on it to drive and said my car (2006 3.0R with 120,000 miles) That I did NOT buy there would be covered for the recall. WHEW that made me feel better. They also said it might take a while to get parts and it is not a simple job to replace rear, lines, 10-13 hours. It took three weeks to get parts in and do the job but I had brand new loaner to drive so I was okay with it.
Bottom line if you can schedule service in advance for when they have a loaner available you should be able to get one. they are super busy with all these Takata Airbag recalls and loaners are hard to get on short notice. They were very nice to me and even put up with me calling every day to check on my car until they got me a loaner.

#15 ·
Ive had service and recalls done several times at Romano for cars I didn't buy there. They are decent guys from my experience, and have given me discounts when I had to wait too long. They even offered me a loaner when my alignment and tire mounting was behind schedule. Was it Dave Vito who you took issue with? Side note: The parts guy, Josh, at Romano is one of the best in the business.

I would think your experience is not the norm there. They are always slammed with business. One thing I did notice, and I'm not saying this describes you, is that 1 out of every 10 customers was a complete pain in the butt to the service advisors. I felt bad for them!

#16 ·
It's all about dedication to customer centric service

I finally dropped my OB off Tuesday afternoon for the steering shaft recall. Got a call to pick it up by end of the work day Wednesday. Since it was a scheduled appointment, the service department had pre-arranged for a rental assuming the shaft would need to be replaced add upon VIN and date of manufacture. We had a new legacy undergo the recall nearly 2-month go and it only took 2-days to get it in the midst of the recall fray.

Rental was ready and in place with no fuss. Both vehicles were returned with correctly aligned steering wheels, no damage to dash panels, clean and no damage (minor or otherwise) to the exterior as several members have reported.

Every employee I've encountered at the dealership are respectful, courteous and willing to assist in any means or manner to ensure the customer experience is favorable. If/when I ask questions, the make every effort to ensure I understand and satisfied with answer..... I am not treated with condescension.

When I call to make a service appointment, within minutes I receive an email that confirms the appointment and there is a followup email reminder plus a robo call reminder as well leading up the date of the appointment.

It's obvious the dealership's core mission is customer satisfaction and offering the best possible customer experience.

#18 ·
2014 Impreza bought new there no complaints

Family member purchased there new 2014 Impreza from Romano. They also have had service done there and no complaints. She is an easy customer and they offered the best deal and quickest delivery on their inbound shipment (none of her local 3 had her options/model).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.