Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I want to purchase a roof basket and was wondering how it will affect my MPG? Thanks!

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Hello, I want to purchase a roof basket and was wondering how it will affect my MPG? Thanks!
Yes it will. The Basket creates lots of drag if your doing lots of free way driving with it in say 60+mph speeds you could see upwards of 4-5mph hit on average. My Aero box generally runs around 2-3mpg hit and with two bikes up top 4mpg hit is pretty normal.

·
Registered
557 Posts
it effects MPGs negatively!

i have my roofbasket on right now and can hopefully take it down today.

it's been on since saturday as i was transporting a small sound/PA system, table, chair, wagon, cables/cords, popup shade thingy, me, wife and two girls... they were performing for an orientation program.

anyway, the basket was great for the long items but i can't wait to get my MPGs back.

i easily lost 3 - 4 MPGs.

edit: here's a pic of the culprit :)

joel

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
Pretty much anything you attach to the exterior of your car is detrimental to fuel economy. There's nothing wring with a roof basket if you're using it to carry something. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent addition though so take it off when it's not being used and stow those cross bars.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Registered
'14, 2.5 SAP w/Eyesight
118 Posts
Pretty much anything you attach to the exterior of your car is detrimental to fuel economy. There's nothing wring with a roof basket if you're using it to carry something. I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent addition though so take it off when it's not being used and stow those cross bars.
That's probably the best advice. I've used it three time this year to haul camping stuff. I use it in conjunction with the Keeper 07203 Roof Bag. When the bag is filled to capacity (~15cuft, almost 2' high) I do notice moderate wind noise and an MPG drop of about 2-4 MPG when traveling on roads where my MPG rate is fairly well established. When camping though, and the rack is on without the bag, the noise is there, but I notice little to no difference in MPG. Once I get back home, I try to take the Cargo Basket off as soon as I can to save on MPG's.

BTW, I thought the fairing was adding to the noise of the cargo basket, so I took it off. That's a mistake, it's much noisier without the fairing... it's now back on.

Also, keep in mind that most folks use the cargo basket when they're doing something like going to the mountains or like me when camping. Those activities always lead to reduced MPG's especially with a 2.5... sometimes i'm at 4k rpm going up some steep catskill roads. The mountains + fully loaded with passengers and cargo + reduced aerodynamics with the basket/bag leads to decreased MPG. It's not always the basket that leads to the MPG drop, unless everything else stays the same. One variable at a time kind of thing.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, I thought the fairing was adding to the noise of the cargo basket, so I took it off. That's a mistake, it's much noisier without the fairing... it's now back on.

Also, keep in mind that most folks use the cargo basket when they're doing something like going to the mountains or like me when camping. Those activities always lead to reduced MPG's especially with a 2.5... sometimes i'm at 4k rpm going up some steep catskill roads. The mountains + fully loaded with passengers and cargo + reduced aerodynamics with the basket/bag leads to decreased MPG. It's not always the basket that leads to the MPG drop, unless everything else stays the same. One variable at a time kind of thing.
soobienewbie, thanks man! I'll keep that in mind when I head out on an expedition.

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
I realize...

Anything that breaks the wind in a non-aeordynamic way will cost more to push through the air than if it were aeorodynamic, or not on the vehicle at all!

Right after we got our 2005 OBW, I removed the two roof crossbars. Even though they probably slice through the air, they must also serve to create somewhat of a drag. Since we don't use them anyway, they are stored in my basement.

With those off, it is easier to clean and wax the Subie's roof!

·
Registered
'99 Outback/ '99 GSX 600f
103 Posts
Anything that breaks the wind in a non-aeordynamic way will cost more to push through the air than if it were aeorodynamic, or not on the vehicle at all!

Right after we got our 2005 OBW, I removed the two roof crossbars. Even though they probably slice through the air, they must also serve to create somewhat of a drag. Since we don't use them anyway, they are stored in my basement.

With those off, it is easier to clean and wax the Subie's roof!
you clean your subi?...

·
Registered
2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i 5sp Manual
355 Posts
It will affect it negatively. I remove even the cross bars unless I need them. Not a bad item to have though!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts