Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a roof basket for my new '21 XT but wanted to see which ones look the best and are recommended by users. Looking for something sleek! Post some pics of your roof baskets and tell me why you chose it, along with pros/cons!!! Thanks! 馃榾馃馃徏

Registered
Not really a "basket", but I am a big fan of the quality and looks of FrontRunner rack system & accessories. I see a lot in my area since their store is a few miles from my work, kinda pricey tho.

Registered
Yakima mega warrior.
Cons:
- Not sleek
- Not an easy on/off
- Stuff gets wet (but that's with any basket)

Pros:
- Give you the most space. "Sleek" ones typically are angled at the front and back which eat up space.
- Racks ontop. Yakima has cross bars which mount to the basket itself and are rated. Can be used to mount add't racks for skis, snowboards, bikes etc.
- Durable. I used this on a crosstrek previously ... in total about 4 years of continuous use on vehicles. I sold it for a decent amount as it was still in excellent shape*.

*I did swap to a box for better protection of ski/snowboard gear and ease of packing dry goods for camping. With the basket camp gear would either have to be okay getting wet or wrapped well in bags or plastic. You also should be comfortable with ropes and securing loads. The box is nice because it is one more layer of weather protection and one less layer of securing loads. It does suck because it can't be cross-utilized for weird loads like plywood, lumber or insulation .... yeah going through a house remodel currently.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yakima mega warrior.
Cons:
- Not sleek
- Not an easy on/off
- Stuff gets wet (but that's with any basket)

Pros:
- Give you the most space. "Sleek" ones typically are angled at the front and back which eat up space.
- Racks ontop. Yakima has cross bars which mount to the basket itself and are rated. Can be used to mount add't racks for skis, snowboards, bikes etc.
- Durable. I used this on a crosstrek previously ... in total about 4 years of continuous use on vehicles. I sold it for a decent amount as it was still in excellent shape*.

*I did swap to a box for better protection of ski/snowboard gear and ease of packing dry goods for camping. With the basket camp gear would either have to be okay getting wet or wrapped well in bags or plastic. You also should be comfortable with ropes and securing loads. The box is nice because it is one more layer of weather protection and one less layer of securing loads. It does suck because it can't be cross-utilized for weird loads like plywood, lumber or insulation .... yeah going through a house remodel currently.
Wow your mega warrior looks great on you blue OB XT. How鈥檚 wind noise while driving?

Registered
Wow your mega warrior looks great on you blue OB XT. How鈥檚 wind noise while driving?
I don't think it was bad with the moonroof cover closed. I'm also okay turning up the radio a few clicks.

Premium Member
2020 Onyx
I'm considering a roof basket for my new '21 XT but wanted to see which ones look the best and are recommended by users. Looking for something sleek! Post some pics of your roof baskets and tell me why you chose it, along with pros/cons!!! Thanks! 馃榾馃馃徏
View attachment 517897
I had another basket shown in my profile but it wasnt sitting exactly right on one end of the crossbars, I also didnt like the high profile. Then I put on the extended Rola and do love
the low profile and beefy bars. Now I can finally put on my light bar thats in the box for months. under 350 etrailer.com

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had another basket shown in my profile but it wasnt sitting exactly right on one end of the crossbars, I also didnt like the high profile. Then I put on the extended Rola and do love
the low profile and beefy bars. Now I can finally put on my light bar thats in the box for months. under 350 etrailer.com
Looks awesome!!! I see lots of lockable roof baskets out there (Yakima, Thule, etc) and I鈥檓 considering adding one to my 鈥21 XT.
Can most of these be securely locked to the OEM roof rails鈥 or do I need to replace the OEM ones with aftermarket rails instead???
It seems I can lock pretty much any basket to the OB rails, but that someone can just as easily remove these rails and take off with the basket 馃Ш. LOL

Premium Member
2020 Onyx
Looks awesome!!! I see lots of lockable roof baskets out there (Yakima, Thule, etc) and I鈥檓 considering adding one to my 鈥21 XT.
Can most of these be securely locked to the OEM roof rails鈥 or do I need to replace the OEM ones with aftermarket rails instead???
It seems I can lock pretty much any basket to the OB rails, but that someone can just as easily remove these rails and take off with the basket 馃Ш. LOL
Thats actually my next tweak, lock it to the rails in 2 places opposite sides

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thats actually my next tweak, lock it to the rails in 2 places opposite sides
Would it be easy for someone to remove the stock rails, in order to steal the basket? That's my concern... I wasn't sure how easily the OEM Outback rails are to remove and if someone could easily undo them with tools....

Registered
I have a Thule box which I love, especially in poor weather. Lockable and sturdy with very little wind noise.

As far as sleek, I love the way the Prinsu racks look on our roofs. Really adds to the look of it's capability.

Registered
Did you notice significant decrease in MPG?
I ran KO2s on the crosstrek from the beginning and the basket from the beginning on the outback so don't really have a good baseline. I'd say a 1-2 mgp hit ... Adding anyhting to your roof will result in a hit.

Premium Member
2020 Onyx
Would it be easy for someone to remove the stock rails, in order to steal the basket? That's my concern... I wasn't sure how easily the OEM Outback rails are to remove and if someone could easily undo them with tools....
No its not easy removing the OB rails.

Registered
2022 Subaru Outback XT Liimted
I bought one of those budget baskets from Amazon. Rola? I think? Anyway, it was great! My only suggestion is whatever one you buy get 2 cans of truck bed liner spray and put a few coats of that all over it from every side to keep it from rusting! Will run you about $20ish bucks and will keep your roof basket looking great, and prevent rust from dripping down onto your paint.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I bought one of those budget baskets from Amazon. Rola? I think? Anyway, it was great! My only suggestion is whatever one you buy get 2 cans of truck bed liner spray and put a few coats of that all over it from every side to keep it from rusting! Will run you about $20ish bucks and will keep your roof basket looking great, and prevent rust from dripping down onto your paint.
Thanks for the recommendation mate! That's a great idea. I have read nothing but good things about ROLA brand and reviews are mostly great on Amazon... Do you use anything to lock it to your OEM roof rails? To keep it secure and from theft?

Registered
2022 Subaru Outback XT Liimted
Thanks for the recommendation mate! That's a great idea. I have read nothing but good things about ROLA brand and reviews are mostly great on Amazon... Do you use anything to lock it to your OEM roof rails? To keep it secure and from theft?
personally I did not, I park my car in a garage and anywhere that I take it out for errands I kinda always thought 鈥渨ell if they worked that hard to steal it while I鈥檓 inside a store then I guess they really needed it鈥 lmao.

However I did find this for pretty cheap if you aren鈥檛 parking it in a garage or your work parking is sketch. They have steel cables inside so it can鈥檛 just be cut off easily. And for about $25 I think getting 1 would be enough to Deter someone from messing with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
haha Yeah true. I park in my garage at home as well! I sometimes travel to Cali and other places on vacation and sometimes go to some pretty sketch areas. haha Thanks for referral of the lock-straps. Thats a good idea!

Registered
2019 Outback Limited 3.6R
I would definitely recommend the Yakima load warrior with the extension. I previously had the Kuat Vagabond X and liked the appearance but didn't really like using it. The shape just seemed to reduce the usable space of the basket. Also couldn't find a good mounting solution for my awning.
For me, the Yakima makes better use of its space and there are more accessories available. Not as aerodynamic but I don't mind.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks awesome!
I would definitely recommend the Yakima load warrior with the extension. I previously had the Kuat Vagabond X and liked the appearance but didn't really like using it. The shape just seemed to reduce the usable space of the basket. Also couldn't find a good mounting solution for my awning.
For me, the Yakima makes better use of its space and there are more accessories available. Not as aerodynamic but I don't mind.

Sent from my Note 20 Ultra using Tapatalk
Wow that鈥檚 an incredible camp setup!!! We鈥檒l done 馃憦

1 - 20 of 23 Posts