Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5L 6MT
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

My wife and I just bought our 2014 Outback, and we love it. However, the car did not come with the moveable luggage rails. It has the mounts, no rails. From the research I've done, it appears that the rails and mounts are sold as one unit (Left 91151AJ05A and Right 91151AJ04A). I'd prefer to source just the rails if possible.

I happened to run across an ebay seller who has the whole rail and mount assembly for sale (both sides) for about $80 The catch is they are for a 2011 Outback. Does anyone know if these rails are interchangeable with my 2014?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,816 Posts
I can tell you that they are not an exact match between those years, but the question is whether the parts can be made to play well with each other.

Side Mounts: 2013/2014 introduced another set of holes rearward, so that you can increase the total spread between the crossbars. It requires a T30 driver to remove the rear crossbar and move it back to the second set of holes.

Cross Bars: The 2013/3014 are smooth top and bottom. 2010/2011 (not sure about 2012...) have a rubber ridge/fins on the underside. But otherwise, they look pretty much the same.

So can you remove the crossbars from the 2011 system and bolt them to your 2014? Hmmmmmm.....

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello everyone,

My wife and I just bought our 2014 Outback, and we love it. However, the car did not come with the moveable luggage rails. It has the mounts, no rails. From the research I've done, it appears that the rails and mounts are sold as one unit (Left 91151AJ05A and Right 91151AJ04A). I'd prefer to source just the rails if possible.

I happened to run across an ebay seller who has the whole rail and mount assembly for sale (both sides) for about $80 The catch is they are for a 2011 Outback. Does anyone know if these rails are interchangeable with my 2014?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Could you take few pictures to better describe your situation?

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
462 Posts
Just a note about the terminology;

The “Rails”are the plastic mounts (on all but the Touring) that run front to rear.

The Cross Bars are the bars that run side to side, or store in the front/rear position on the rails.

An I assume the OP is stating the car didn’t come with the cross bars. Could be a touring version though, in which case it doesn’t come with cross bars.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
In the United States, the 2017 Touring model was the first to introduce the (like many other cars) low profile side rails (mounts) with cross bars sold separately. All US Outback models from 2010 - 2014 (gen 4) and 2015-2016 (gen 5) had the chunky side rails with the standard equipment swing-across crossbars.

My interpretation was that someone unbolted the swing-across bars and kept them, so the OP has side rails but needs cross bars.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I just talked to an owner of a 2011 at work, and he's OK with me lifting his crossbars and making some measurements. If I can do that today, I'll post the results.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I just stood out in the cold with a tape measure! It looks like the swingout bars on both measure a touch under 41", and the ends look the same although I didn't unscrew the pivot point hardware. The big obvious difference is smooth vs rubber fin insert on the underside. I think you'll be pretty safe marrying 2011 bars to your 2014 bases, but we didn't try actually swapping to be 100% sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts