Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Front wheels on or off? I prefer light and simple - the cheap and sleek Yakima Boa mount is great - it has very minimal drag when not being used and it doesn't look as if your car is carrying around a bunch of scrap metal on your roof. Get the locking skewers and they are secure. You can add a hefty cable lock through all the frames if you need extra security (the 12 foot Master Python is excellent). Carry the front wheels inside the car, or you can get wheel mounts for $40 each. Inside is better for the front wheels, if you have the room - a thief will walk by your car if all the bike parts aren't out where he can get to them.

These are Boas - with four mountain bikes on my trailer.

You can fit bikes VERY close to each other by staggering the front mount position (front bar/ back bar), or if you have some little kid bikes, you can get the handlebars to mesh by alternating big bike/ little bike/ big bike. Or a combination of the two methods. It's a very "tunable" system, unlike the huge full length tray mounts with frame support bars.

The skewer mounts lower the bikes for (slightly) better aerodynamics, and if you remove the seats and posts you can get significantly better vertical clearance.

And when you are done with them, you can take them off and store them in a small plastic bin on a shelf. I love these Boa mounts! I've got three different clunky tray type bike mounts gathering dust in my basement.

The one downside is that they require round Yakima bars, but if you value your bikes at all, you won't trust the weak factory crossbars.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
Hey John nice set up on the trailer. I have a trailer not all that different than yours and I was eye balling ideas for putting bikes on it without using cross bars across the deck of the trailer. These would work. I see Ubolts used on the front forkclip? Have the plastic brackets held up OK against the Ubolts? I might keep an eye out for a couple of these

·
Banned
2007 Outback XT Ltd
847 Posts
Hey John nice set up on the trailer. I have a trailer not all that different than yours and I was eye balling ideas for putting bikes on it without using cross bars across the deck of the trailer. These would work. I see Ubolts used on the front forkclip? Have the plastic brackets held up OK against the Ubolts? I might keep an eye out for a couple of these
Thanks - my wife calls the trailer a Guy Magnet. I have had guys run up to my truck while we are stopped at a traffic light to ask questions. It's kind of funny....

PM sent - let's take this offline.

John Davies
Spokane WA USA

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium CVT
1 Posts
I just purchased the Yakima Front loader for my 13 Outback. It mounts quickly and easily, however, the hatch hits the rear end of the rack when opened. I was searching this blog to look for some advise. The obvious solution is to mount the rack on backwards. Wondering if there are any other solutions.

·
Registered
2013 Limited w/EyeSight
352 Posts
1 Up USA is the best anything bike carrier. I only have the hitch version and for my Outback have been using Yakimas owned prior to the 1 Up purchase.

The 1 Up www site does not really do justice to the quality, design and beauty of the stuff.

·
Registered
'17 Outback 3.6r Limited
304 Posts
I just purchased the Yakima Front loader for my 13 Outback. It mounts quickly and easily, however, the hatch hits the rear end of the rack when opened. I was searching this blog to look for some advise. The obvious solution is to mount the rack on backwards. Wondering if there are any other solutions.
You can trim about 1" off the back of the rack and then redrill the elongated holes for the rear piece to lock into again. Someone on the board here did it... Look at his post with how exactly he did it here http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/321652-post13.html .

They just barely hit on mine so as long as I gently rest the hatch against the back of the rack in the up position I never have had a problem since the back piece of the rack is round and plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.