Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there-

I can't seem to find the original part number or a confirmed generic equivalent bolt to replace the crossbar bolts that I lost...

In the Forester forum ('03) they mention that they use M6x50 bolts - is that correct for an '03 Outback Limited?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,091 Posts
I just checked my 2008; they are M6-1.0 x 30 mm. It hasn't likely changed, but in any case, generic is fine here, your local hardware store will have it, and you can take a crossbar in and try it right there to see it fits.

And I'd recommend stainless steel.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,091 Posts
And while we're on his subject: I've always been concerned about theft of my Thule cartopper when parked at at remote trailheads. Noting that the Thule locks to the factory crossbars, but the crossbars themselves are easily removed by removing these four screws, I gave something like these a little thought:

https://www.bicyclebolts.com/products/m6-x-30mm-torx-security-bolts

Mind you, nothing at all here is very high security - I'm just thinking it could stop a crime of opportunity because someone wouldn't likely have this security driver bit.

Anyone got any better ideas?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts