Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2011 OB Limited
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Subee Drivers,

I'm getting a new Tandem Sea Kayak real soon and I'm going to need to tug it around on my 4th Gen OB. I did away with the factory crossbars using the Yakima Landing Pad 12s and Yakima Cross Bars, which still gives me a 30" spread. This distance is perfectly fine for all my little whitewater creek boats and playboats but I'm not sure how well it'll do with a 21' long sea kayak! :confused:
I will throw this out there, I do have an aftermarket full 2" hitch...And I know there are the bumper tie-downs that pull out in front and back. What do you guys do with your lengthy loads? Keep in mind, this is a 21 Foot Long Kayak on a 15 foot car...

Below is a picture of my 5'10" Playboat kayak, on my 30" spread crossbars.
The other picture is of a 21' long Northwest Seascape Expedition Sea Kayak (It's the one on the ground).

<br>

<br>

Thanks for the advice guys. PICTURES ARE VERY MUCH WELCOMED and worth a thousand words. ;)

Cheers :7:

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
21' Kayak

I have had no problems carrying my 21' Cedarstrip (85 lbs or so) using the Yakama Landing Pads, towers and 58" bar along with the Thule Hulavator system, even at 70 mph. I also carry my 17' single along with the tandem. Just make sure that you tie both the front and back down. Yakama and Thule both make straps that can be mounted to the car or you can make them yourself, which I did. Also make sure you tie a Red flag on the rear as the kayak will extend about 5' beyond the rear bumper.

If memory serves me, I believe it was your post (you-tube maybe) on the Yakama conversion that sold me on getting a 4th gen OB. My 2000 OB had to be replaced and I was concerned about the factory rack as it would not accept the Hulavator system. Thanks

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
Bar spread is a non issue here even with factory bars. Little insider tip on supporting expensive composit hulls. Never rest them on very small points of support for transport. Or you can dent the hull. The ideal set up is a custom moulded and wide saddle on each bar that cradles the hull. The worst thing would be sitting on rollers. In short the widest conforming rack support for the hull is what your after. Then of course hood tie down not to tension the hull ie pull it down but to help hold the bow square under side to side wind loading that torques the hull. The center section of the hull at the rack is the strongest point and is your primary strap down point to hold it to the car.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
Case in Point.
If you use a Hullavator you might want to add some custom minicell foam.
Hopefully these pics will upload.

·
Registered
2011 OB Limited
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have had no problems carrying my 21' Cedarstrip (85 lbs or so) using the Yakama Landing Pads, towers and 58" bar along with the Thule Hulavator system, even at 70 mph.
Do you have pictures of this on your 4th gen subee? The pictures you attached are of your 2nd gen subee which has a wider spread.

I did post that video, good memory. But I was never a sea kayaker and never had planned on carrying a 21' boat. Just needed more width and better aftermarket crossbars. Now I feel 30" is so narrow for something that'll be so long, and with a very expensive load... :-/

·
Registered
2011 OB Limited
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hitch Rack Attachment

I just don't see how 2.5' spread crossbar can safely support a 21' fiberglass boat...and with peace of mind. Especially when traveling down 70mph speed limit freeways. I believe Subaru said that the racks on this generation shouldn't hold over a 12' boat.

I did find this item which would work very well. And YES, I do have a full size aftermarket hitch on my Subee so this is an option. Will just put some saddles on it. That is a FULL SIZE Yakima crossbar in it.

Anyone ever done this? Another nice thing about this is loading will be safer for the car (because lots of added distance when placing it and then sliding it), and it is about $400 cheaper than the Hullavator system.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Outback LTM
48 Posts
I though I had a few pictures but haven't found them. I haven't found any issues with the 30" spread. The real difference is balance point is further back on the roof so the kayak hangs out even further back from the bumper. Also, The 30" spread actually makes it easier using the Hullavator as I can reach each unit and raise and lower the boat by myself whereas with the wider spread it required two of us. The only issue that I've had is with the singles where the straps go across the cockpit comings. Which is ok as long as you don't strap them down super tight. I'll post them if I find them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts