Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I did when I got my '13 Outback home was reinstall my Yakima bike trays I had mounted on my 2011 Outback. I mounted them in the exact location I had them mounted on the previous car, however the wife says the turbulence from the rack is unbearable from 30 mph+

I took the car out and did my own tests and found that with the cross bars in the rack installed position, and trays mounted this thing whistles and buffets like crazy at anything over say 25-30 mph. I never noticed this with the 2011 Outback but wonder if its because Subaru removed the ridges on the underside off the factory crossbars on MY2012+ cars?

Im guessing they were there to act like those mini vortex fins people put on the roof of rally cars to reduce drag or something like that. But some bean counter at SAP decided that it effects fuel milage by some parasitic amount so they now need to be smooth.

Does anyone make a faring that will mount to the OEM crossbars and still allow use of the sunroof?

·
Registered
42 Posts
a quick cheap solution to try is...

take some black paracord, over the span of the cross bar wrap the cord a few times around and pull tightly and tie off. it breaks the air flow and harmonics.

lots of kayakers/canoers use this tactic on Yakima round bars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts