Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’m not thrilled with how my half basket sits on the stock rails on the OB. Due to the natural curve of those rails it gives it a little tilt. What rails do you guys recommend going with to fix this? Or should I go to a Prinsu?
Car Vehicle registration plate Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Photograph

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
580 Posts
I love my Prinsu, but if you're considering it please know from the onset that it's expensive and it's a full day to install correctly.

That being said, it's the rack that Subaru should've put on as OEM, in my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,923 Posts
Aftermarket crossbar systems are straight, at least the round ones, but as mentioned they come at a rather high price to pay for what amounts to an aesthetics issue.

Why not just trade for a bigger box and skip the open rack altogether?

·
Registered
4 Posts
all the aero crossbars will be curved. if you get non aero yakima rounds/thule squares they can straight. just depends on how much sound you can take coming from the roof.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Does the Prinsu require removal of the stock cross bars and plastic rack towers? I also am not a huge fan of the stock rail system (2016 OB) and only a year or so after I bought mine Subaru created the touring trim which has a low profile rail instead of the big plastic towers. I wonder if that touring rail could be swapped onto my 2016 if I remove the stock racks. I’ve also seen someone on this forum do a DIY replacement with some kind of low profile track, maybe rhino track ?
anyway I want to follow this discussion as I’m feeling the same about the stock rack…

So I’m not thrilled with how my half basket sits on the stock rails on the OB. Due to the natural curve of those rails it gives it a little tilt. What rails do you guys recommend going with to fix this? Or should I go to a Prinsu? View attachment 526670

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
Update:

Does the Prinsu require removal of the stock cross bars and plastic rack towers? I also am not a huge fan of the stock rail system (2016 OB) and only a year or so after I bought mine Subaru created the touring trim which has a low profile rail instead of the big plastic towers. I wonder if that touring rail could be swapped onto my 2016 if I remove the stock racks. I’ve also seen someone on this forum do a DIY replacement with some kind of low profile track, maybe rhino track ?
anyway I want to follow this discussion as I’m feeling the same about the stock rack…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update:
yeah installing a prinsu is pretty involved. A good weekend job
FULL INSTALL WALKTHROUGH OF PRINSU RACK ON 2019 SUBARU OUTBACK 3.6R TOURING - YouTube

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
580 Posts
Does the Prinsu require removal of the stock cross bars and plastic rack towers?
Yes... Every bit of the OEM roof system is removed. You do recycle the very front 6" or so of the gutter covers, but that's trivial.

Mine took about seven hours to do, but that included a trip to the hardware store in mid-installation 'cuz I miscounted the extra hardware I wanted to add to fill the holes in the roof that the rack doesn't use - it mounts on four bolts per side but there are 7-8 holes per side from the OEM rails. I also had to stop the job and tarp the car for a half-hour or so because Murphy's Law: it started raining once I got the headliner dropped with the sunroof & hatch opened wide.

The video listed is pretty accurate. The written instructions that come with the Prinsu leave a little bit to be desired.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts