Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the Subaru world and forum, so Hi everybody.

Issue: Last night we drove out 2012 Subie into the side of the house with bikes on top of it. :rolleyes: We managed to break the clips on the stock roof rails off inside the parallel rail mounts. Soooo We get to replace those. Is there an aftermarket solution or replacement for these yet? If not, is there a parts guy on here that we all buy from?

Thanks for your help.

This was supposed to be our first ride since my heart attack and currently my bike has a broken fork and the other bike has a smashed brake hood. Two holes in the side of the house and two smashed bike racks. No fun.

Also would purchase used if anybody has taken theirs off.

·
Registered
2002 Outback 2.5
37 Posts
hmmm...check with yakima I'd say.

Are/Will there be pictures of this on MTBR or RBR forums ?

It's almost a right of passage for this to occur to roof rack owners. My wife absolutely destroyed an expensive Road bike at the underground parking garage at a Japanese restro in Pearl City once upon a time...

New to the Subaru world and forum, so Hi everybody.

Issue: Last night we drove out 2012 Subie into the side of the house with bikes on top of it. :rolleyes: We managed to break the clips on the stock roof rails off inside the parallel rail mounts. Soooo We get to replace those. Is there an aftermarket solution or replacement for these yet? If not, is there a parts guy on here that we all buy from?

Thanks for your help.

This was supposed to be our first ride since my heart attack and currently my bike has a broken fork and the other bike has a smashed brake hood. Two holes in the side of the house and two smashed bike racks. No fun.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I know there are the Yakima Landing pad things. I don't much care for the way they look, but they may be a better option in the long run. You also have to buy the cross bars so it may be just as expensive as replacing the originals.

I may put picks on the MTB forum some time. The bikes are at the shop now but I have pics of the bent up racks and the Spackle patches I just put up. :)

If the bike is wrecked I'm just going to order a new one from bikes direct and call it an evening.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
The cross bars are not available a' la carte. They come as a unit with the rails. If the rails have no damage, landing pads might be a better option unless you can find a salvage yard with a non rollover. The 2010's have been out since 09 so you may get lucky. You could use some. Welcome by the way. Too bad it wasn't under better circumstances.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The cross bars are not available a' la carte. They come as a unit with the rails. If the rails have no damage, landing pads might be a better option unless you can find a salvage yard with a non rollover. The 2010's have been out since 09 so you may get lucky. You could use some. Welcome by the way. Too bad it wasn't under better circumstances.
The cross bars aren't really damaged from what I can see. They have a few scratches and that's about it. It's just that stupid little end cap with the spring loaded clip that broke. One dealer parts guy thought he maybe could get that but needed to see the car. Another guy said he needed the VIN so I haven't called back yet. I assumed that I'd have to replace 1/2 of the top of the car as per usual with auto manufacturers. :mad:

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
VIN is not needed. 2010-2012 are all the same on all trim levels. I had a similar issue with my rear crossbar. That clip wouldn't release. The dealer said no problem- it's comes as a complete unit with the rail. We'll drop the headliner and replace the unit.:confused: I said why don't you just order the unit and loosen one torx screw and exchange the crossbars. No-go, the unit can't be altered.:gasp::confused: I told them forget it and I worked it loose and gave it a good lubrication and it's been good ever since. I would work the salvage yards for a replacement. They can look cross country and have it shipped.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I called a few yards yesterday and nobody had anything. I'm in Rancho Cordova CA and there is a huge lot of them... seems like they should have had one car at least. I'm hoping somebody here that has gone to the landing pads will want to sell their stock bars.

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Rancho?? Another local.:D I'm in Sac and have family in Rancho. Welcome aboard. With all the recycle yards on Sunrise somebody should be able to do a system search and find something. I'd be surprised if anybody using landing pads will sell you crossbars. That would void any GTP offers and limit other choices for roof storage.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Touring
13 Posts
Yakima is aware of the need for a new landing pad that fits the 2013 Outback so Yakima bars can be used. They say they are designing a landing pad now. The design will likely be for all 3 mount points on each side (they know there are people who want to use the wider spread between the bars for safety). They predict it will not be available until JAN, 2013. They suggest calling back periodically for updates.

The best way to influence Yakima to accelerate the production of this landing pad is to CALL THEM. Tell them you want it ASAP! Yakima customer support is: (888) 925-4621

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited Magnetite Gray
233 Posts
I have a set of 2012 take-off cross bars with mounting bolts. Make offer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts