Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feeling pretty screwed by my dealership right now. Bought a used 2014 2.5 a few months ago. I've never even touched my factory roofrack or crossbars, but just just purchased a bike and bike rack. Go to set everything up for the first time, and the clips that secure the non bolted end of the crossbar is broken and will not secure. Dealership says there is absolutely no way they would have sold them to me in that condition, and I must have damaged them. They are quoting me $280 for replacement crossbars, which is ridiculous for something that clearly does not last.

Paying for another set of OEM crossbars is the absolute last thing I want to do right now, so what are my options for going with a third party such as Thule or Yakima?

I've attempted to search the forums but couldn't find anything concrete. Appreciate any help that can be provided

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
521 Posts
Have you looked into junk yard parts ?

What model bike rack did you purchase ?, as that will drive the recommendation for cross bars and a fit kit for the Outback

I've used Thule roof racks and systems for 30 years but recently went to the Yakima Landing Pad 15 rack adapter, plus the Skyline towers and Corebar cross bars. I love this system as it is an easy on/off system.

It essentially uses the mounting points for the (removed) factory cross bars, installs in the holes for those bars, then mounts the Skyline towers and cross bars. I use Thule Circuit fork trays for my bikes as these are universal with a lot of different crossbars.

The Landing Pad 15, plue Skyline towers, plus Corebars, plus locks ran about $370 from Rack Warehouse. Worth it is the cross bars are 50", which for me allows 2 bike trays plus a Thule Ascent cargo box.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 3.6 Ltd
44 Posts
I second the system described by LightningGuy: Yakima Landing Pads bolt onto the stock roof rack bases, after removing the somewhat feeble stock cross bars (takes about 15 minutes). The the Yakima Skyline Towers hold your choice of cross bars, and snap in and out of the Landing Pads.

Can get expensive, but if you really start mounting things on the roof, much better than the stock rack.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Used roof rack cross bars from a Pull and Pay yard is the more economical way to replace the OEM ones

1 - 4 of 4 Posts