Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a roof tent for our 2020 Outback and am looking for some advice! A few questions:
  • are the factory integrated rails strong enough? I can't seem to find official numbers anywhere but in a few places I saw a 150lb dynamic capacity and a 600lb static capacity. Not sure if that's accurate
  • what roof rents do you suggest? Or needs to be able to accommodate 2 adults and two kids (both under 5) comfortably - guessing a 4 person. Ultra easy setup is important - I don't want to fiddle with poles etc.
Cost under $3k ideally.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 Outback Onyx XT
1,739 Posts
I'm considering a roof tent for our 2020 Outback and am looking for some advice! A few questions:
  • are the factory integrated rails strong enough? I can't seem to find official numbers anywhere but in a few places I saw a 150lb dynamic capacity and a 600lb static capacity. Not sure if that's accurate
  • what roof rents do you suggest? Or needs to be able to accommodate 2 adults and two kids (both under 5) comfortably - guessing a 4 person. Ultra easy setup is important - I don't want to fiddle with poles etc.
Cost under $3k ideally.

Thanks!
Not sure which tents are good but the load figures should be in the manual.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
In another thread, Carl had indicated that the Gen 5 had the 176lb dynamic / 650lb static load limit, but that the Gen6 would be 176 pounds period. (a thread a few months ago in the Gen6 forum).

the roof should support at least the Same limits physically. id imagine you would be fine. (It’s what happens if the weight damages something and getting support under warrantee.)

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would make sense, but it isn't listed in the manual, at least not that I could find.
Yep, me either. That's why I was asking. Actually had almost bought one at an REI garage sale today but held off just in case because I couldn't find the official answer.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In another thread, Carl had indicated that the Gen 5 had the 176lb dynamic / 650lb static load limit, but that the Gen6 would be 176 pounds period. (a thread a few months ago in the Gen6 forum).

the roof should support at least the Same limits physically. id imagine you would be fine. (It’s what happens if the weight damages something and getting support under warrantee.)
Oof, that'd be weird and disappointing. While they're actively marketing it on the Forester, they basically make it void the warranty on the Outback. On the plus side, 650lbs is a lot more weight than my family would take, so I'm guessing we'd be comfortably below the limit of the prior generation.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Oof, that'd be weird and disappointing. While they're actively marketing it on the Forester, they basically make it void the warranty on the Outback. On the plus side, 650lbs is a lot more weight than my family would take, so I'm guessing we'd be comfortably below the limit of the prior generation.
I thought I rear where the SGP platform was ok with a static load higher than the dynamic load, so I suspect Subaru will rate the outback higher officially at some point. Or maybe not. But it would seem odd not to based on how it’s marketed.

It’ll be interesting to see what the tent makers come up with for limits.

·
Registered
White 2020 Touring XT
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually, there's a line in the manual page that Paul shared that explicitly says not to install a roof tent. Thanks for sharing, Paul. Huh. My first big disappointment with the car!

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,884 Posts
Theres no way the new OB would be 176 pound "period". The brochure says 150 Dynamic

(below is my OPINION)

Carls comment:
"For the 2015 - 2019 Outback - 176 pounds on the roof TOTAL when the car is in motion, 650 when stationary.
This WILL be changing for the 2020 Outback to 176 pounds on the roof - PERIOD."

Im sorry but Im not buying that for a second. The manual says nothing about that. What I MAY buy is that Subaru doesnt want to SAY what the "static" load is anymore because people would assume that means its ok to move it under those weights. I mean, how often would one need to load a car beyond the "dynamic weight" in a way they arent going to drive? The tents are the only scenario I can think of.

The manual DOES say this under the "caution list" regarding roof rails:

"Do not install a roof tent on the vehicle. Doing so may damage the vehicle and create a safety hazard. SUBARU warranties do not cover vehicle damage resulting from use of a roof tent. "

page 424 of the manual talks about the tents.

I think this is Subaru being extra cautious about people and what they tend to do (not follow specific orders/warnings).
What physical reason would they have been ok on previous gen and not on this gen? The tent companies often USED outbacks in the ads for their tents (Yakima Im looking at you). REI had an Outback in their store once with the YAkima tent on it.

I am sure UNOFICIALLY the general tents are fine - but dont expect damage to be covered under warranty if it happens. (not sure why I would expect that anyway).

·
Registered
2015 3.6 Premium
1,143 Posts
Maggiolia I'm told are good but they are as dear as poison here in Australia. No doubt cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
2015 Outback Limited, 2018 Lexus LX570, 1998 Toyota LC 100, 1987 Toyota FJ60
750 Posts
Theres no way the new OB would be 176 pound "period". The brochure says 150 Dynamic

(below is my OPINION)

Carls comment:
"For the 2015 - 2019 Outback - 176 pounds on the roof TOTAL when the car is in motion, 650 when stationary.
This WILL be changing for the 2020 Outback to 176 pounds on the roof - PERIOD."

Im sorry but Im not buying that for a second. The manual says nothing about that. What I MAY buy is that Subaru doesnt want to SAY what the "static" load is anymore because people would assume that means its ok to move it under those weights. I mean, how often would one need to load a car beyond the "dynamic weight" in a way they arent going to drive? The tents are the only scenario I can think of.

The manual DOES say this under the "caution list" regarding roof rails:

"Do not install a roof tent on the vehicle. Doing so may damage the vehicle and create a safety hazard. SUBARU warranties do not cover vehicle damage resulting from use of a roof tent. "

page 424 of the manual talks about the tents.

I think this is Subaru being extra cautious about people and what they tend to do (not follow specific orders/warnings).
What physical reason would they have been ok on previous gen and not on this gen? The tent companies often USED outbacks in the ads for their tents (Yakima Im looking at you). REI had an Outback in their store once with the YAkima tent on it.

I am sure UNOFICIALLY the general tents are fine - but dont expect damage to be covered under warranty if it happens. (not sure why I would expect that anyway).
Any time some random person says PERIOD I think of Steven Miller and totally disregard their opinion. Given what I know of Tepui and ARB roof tents, and how they work, I’d say go for it. I have seen plenty Kia Souls, Honda Elements, Honda and Toyota minivans, Subaru Outbacks and Foresters, etc with rooftop tents and have talked with owners. Not a single one had a problem. But then maybe Subaru really screwed up with the 2020’s craptastic plastic rack.

I would definitely replace the standard rack with the Yakima steel aero bars (LP15 for 2015-2019, 2020 landing Pad to come) and get the tent.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,630 Posts
What's is the advantage of a roof tent vs a regular tent? Seems like a hassle to set up, and in the way the next day when you want to go somewhere?
Scratches the roof also maybe?

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
1,884 Posts
What's is the advantage of a roof tent vs a regular tent? Seems like a hassle to set up, and in the way the next day when you want to go somewhere?
Scratches the roof also maybe?
I don't have one, but I have been eyeing them for a while. They are easier to set up than most ground tents Ive used.

Many say its nice that you can just camp wherever the car goes, no need to find a flat clear space on the ground.
Many like the higher position sleeping in - better air flow, nice visual vantage point. Also not sleeping on the hard ground as they usually have a small mattress floor to them.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts