Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a roofbox for my 2003 (gen 2) Outback and have done a fair amount of research which has landed me with three options that fit what I'm looking for. The primary specifications I'm looking for include the box being short enough to not interfere with the hatch opening fully (max of about 75" L exterior) but long enough to fit my skiis (min of about 55" L interior), as well as of course the basic qualities such as safe, secure, lightweight, weatherproof,etc. I plan on using the factory crossbars. The three boxes I'm considering now are:

1) Goplus 14, 63" L exterior, 25 lbs
2) Thule Pulse 14, 57" L exterior, 30 lbs
3) Yakima Rocketbox Pro 14, 74" L exterior, 38 lbs

Does anyone have experience using any of these models on similar Outbacks? Any beta in general on what roof box length does or does not allow the hatch of a gen 2 Outback to open fully? All input appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
789 Posts
The question will be weather you have the optional rear hatch spoiler. I had our bikes on the roof of our 03 many times (no spoiler) with absolutely no issue. But immediately noticed a problem when I put that same setup on our 04. With my 29er on the roof, the hatch cannot quite open fully.
20160522_130336 by Numbchux, on Flickr

The hatch is completely useless with a canoe on the roof.

And yet, I borrowed this Thule long box (I don't know the length, but I borrowed it from a 6' 5" cross country skier...), and with it slid all the way forward, it worked fine.
2019-02-27_08-40-08 by Numbchux, on Flickr

Some observations. This box only opens from the passenger side, and only latches with the key. For my use (shuttling many skiers to and from the trail) this was very annoying, as I didn't want to just leave the key in it, but at both ends of the trip, I had to jump out, run around and unlock the box. The newer boxes that we sold at the Subaru dealership where I worked could be opened from either side, and latched without a key if you wanted.

·
Registered
2014 Subaru Outback 2.5 Premium
521 Posts
I just got a Thule force XT L and I like it so far. Super fast easy install and don't even know its there. I have a GEN 4 and no clearance issues but I cant speak for the older OB.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
72 Posts
Not 100% related, but I use a Yakima SkinnyWarrior rooftop basket. It's about half the width of the car so you can put it to the side (which also allows you to put bikes next to it, etc.). I also have the stretch net for it which is nice.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback L.L. Bean Edition H6-3.0
72 Posts
Not 100% related, but I use a Yakima SkinnyWarrior rooftop basket. It's about half the width of the car so you can put it to the side (which also allows you to put bikes next to it, etc.). I also have the stretch net for it which is nice.

ALSO, it's 58" long

1 - 5 of 5 Posts