Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5 Limited
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Gen 4 owner here, and this is my first OB. Loved it for the past 4 years, but one downfall to owning a car like this is that I'm limited when hauling. I've been getting more into DIY stuff around the house, and since I don't own a truck or larger vehicle (or Baja) I don't have a great way of transporting materials. Many of the projects I've been getting into require larger pieces of lumber such as 8ft 2x4s or 4x8 plywood sheets. I can easily swing the roof-rails out and strap down the planks no problem, but I can't seem to find a great method of mounting the sheet lumber...

Does anyone have any recommendations? Has anyone purchased a roof system that works for this? Has anyone built their own?
Suggestions and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,479 Posts
easiest way to haul stuff: go to lumber yards that offer free / cheap delivery.

plenty of threads here about hauling big stuff.

studs I can put through the passenger front window to the drivers side rear corner of the tail gate, (removing the head rest, and moving the front seat back and putting blankets over things that will get hurt (interior plastics / and fabrics, avoiding the outside mirror by letting the front seat support the weight.).

on the roof: although I have not done it: 10 foot aluminum ladder sections. and some foam pipe insulation, make for a nice roof rack addition for things that may droop when hauled for short distances slow.

·
Registered
2014 Outback, 2.5 Premium / CVT
125 Posts
Softwood Plywood weight chart:

Thickness Actual Weight
1/4” 22 lbs
3/8” 28.5 lbs
1/2” 40.6 lbs
5/8” 48 lbs
3/4” 60.8 lbs
1-1/8” 84.5 lbs

Add in air resistance, posibility of plywood going airborn, not sure rooftop hauling is the way to go.

That is why I also have a pickup truck.

·
Registered
2018 OB 2.5i Premium
20 Posts
I am not very tall person and I am always wondering about how to haul stuff on top of the car, say put a kayak on or so.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,521 Posts
I got the idea from this forum of adding 2x4s to the crossbars to extend the width of the roof rack. A few custom cuts to get the boards to nest over the side rails and then clamp them to the factory cross bars will help provide a stable width platform for plywood sheets.
The length of the sheets can be accommodated with a hitch mounted bed extender that adds a support off the back end of the vehicle. It can be configured to reach the height of the roof.
https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/cargo/truck-bed-extender-69650.html

A small trailer is a better solution in terms of safety, but may be more cumbersome depending on the worksite and another vehicle to park and store.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,479 Posts
I am not very tall person and I am always wondering about how to haul stuff on top of the car, say put a kayak on or so.
the one thing about kayaks is they are light.

so you shove it up there and stand on the door sill or on a portable step to tie it down.

a step like a " e-z foldz "

tossing bikes up on top,....a pain, heavy / cumbersome, and a pedal or handle bar might scratch or dent the car if you make a mistake,

________

good pics on this thread if anyone looking for more using front or rear hitch mounted posts

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...hauling-long-loads.html?highlight=hand+glider

Reactions: redia

·
Registered
493 Posts
I went to a store named racks and roofs or something like that. They set me up with a kayak rack for my 2014 OB that works great (Yakima). Attaches easily to the factor roof bars and came with the needed tie downs and I purchased a set of locks so it can only be removed with a key. It works great. The rep at the store was able to figure out exactly the rack that would work for the OB.

I will soon be going back for a rooftop hauler for some suitcases and stuff for our next trip from NY to Florida. They sell a few different models that will easily attach to my OB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts