Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kind of figured. Thank you
That is exactly what he did, right in the center.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited 2.0 T AWD
583 Posts
Yeah, not the center of the vehicle. I've done front to back on an Outback. Two jack stands for the front on the sides. Then a jack on the rear diff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I do not know for certain what the underside of that vehicle must look like, but I am struggling to imagine what he could have possible used to pick the car up from a central point like that. Not doubting your allegations - just wondering what he must have ruined in picking the vehicle up like that. Thinking about the underside of my Outback, there is nothing that would support that, right? Maybe if you picked it up by the very back of the subframe, but still. Wow. People never cease to amaze.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,209 Posts
There's always somebody who'll take shortcuts when doing such things. Sooner or later it usually catches up to them in some way. These days the lift points seem to be on the body seams so imagine how something meant to take about 1/4 of the vehicle weight will like taking 1/2 of the weight when it's compromised by rust.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
187 Posts
Very hard no on that. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any automobiles that are designed to be jacked from a center point. Even track cars with built in jack systems do so from the corners. Just too unstable to have a single jack point.

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,101 Posts
You can lift it (to put it on jack stands obviously) using only two points- the rear diff and the front crossmember, but I would never do it for more than the time it takes to put the stands under the car.

·
Registered
'22 Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue
414 Posts
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .
Sounds like he was going for a nomination for a Darwin Award:

·
Registered
2021 Onyx XT
274 Posts

Thoughts appreciated .
Thoughts? This is a bit hard to believe. Perhaps I've misunderstood, but I cannot see any way to lift any vehicle completely off the ground, i.e., all 4 wheels off the ground, from a single, central point. Come on, think about this. Essentially, the car would be balanced on a single point. What happens when you remove a wheel? Poof goes the balance and the vehicle tilts to the opposite side.

I've lifted both front wheels off the ground using the subframe and I've lifted both rear wheels off the ground using the rear differential.

All four wheels at the same time? No offense, but I do not believe it.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
It's bad for the vehicle's structural integrity.

And it's even worse for the safety of the person doing the rotation - think of how much force is being put on the wheels with the torque wrench.

I once rescued a neighbor who tried to lift a vehicle improperly; fortunately it didn't fall on him, but it came close to pinning him against the wall of a very-tight garage because it slipped laterally as the poorly-positioned jack failed. It still stands the hair up on the back of my neck when I recall the situation.

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Limited
1,913 Posts
Depending on the vehicle, the transmission crossmember might be in the right spot to balance the car.
But I would not expect it to have enough strength to support the entire vehicle nor is there a reasonable way to address the balance issue as pointed out by @lidksmy

If the floor jack has an adapter on it that spans out to the frame rails or 1st and 3rd member, that addresses the structural challenge, but still not the balance problem. And that would be heck of an adapter. Think single post lift.....

I might have hung around and waited so the neighbor would have someone there to call 9-1-1 for them.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,518 Posts
I am a bit unclear. Was he lifting one side of the vehicle from a central point on the side rail? That might be ok on some cars. I would not do it.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
371 Posts
Jack stands.....yow - here's my nearly Darwin award

I had an experience with them. I was alone at home, with my English Rover sedan, all the wheels off, on 4 jack stands and I was WAY under it pulling a bell housing or whatever you call it for an auto trans. (This was back in the 80's)

I'd strung the phone cord out on the porch, and the phone rang, cuz I was the only one home. I cursed about 10 times as I snaked my way out from under the car, got over to the porch, and answered the phone.

It was a wrong number!

As I'm cursing some more, I was looking at the car, and it went eeeeeew-WHAM, down completely flat on the gravel driveway. It would have killed a mouse, completely flat on the body.

I have never trusted jack stands since (ignore it was a gravel driveway and I'm a dumazz)

But the BIG question is.......

WHO RANG THAT PHONE???

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
793 Posts
LOL you guys are all over the place. H e s gotta be talking front, from a center point, and rear from another center point. (not at the same time I hope). Most vehicles have points that will accommodate this. Then jack stands always anyway no matter where you jack from esp if going under. Do a search and you ll find the spots.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
LOL you guys are all over the place. He's gotta be talking front, from a center point, and rear from another center point. (not at the same time I hope).
Well, let's look at the thread. Here's a quote from post #2, questioning what exactly was meant by "lifting at the center":
If you mean lifting the entire car from one central point? I know I would not do it. One side at a time for me. And jackstands.
And here's the OP's response to this in post #3:
That is exactly what he did, right in the center.
Note the words "entire car" in post #2. I would conclude from this that he meant it was all four wheels at once, as was interpreted by most other posts in this tread.

Mind you, no one here is defending the Lexus owner's approach, if it indeed was the entire vehicle. I think we all universally agree that at best it's just not going to work, and at worst it's extremely dangerous.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
94 Posts
I agree this whole thing is not clear. Sorry, but there is no way some dude in his driveway is lifting the entire car - all 4 wheels at once - and balancing it on one floor jack while torqueing and jiggling and removing wheels. I took the original question to mean the neighbor was jacking up one SIDE of the car - left or right - with the floor jack positioned about midway on that side, like in between the two designated jackpoints. This would make some sense, as we normally rotate tires front and back, and I've often wondered if I could do that safely but haven't tried. The OP seemed to respond affirmatively that "yes indeed entire car was balanced on one point" but I took this to mean he didn't read the question clearly and therefore didn't give a clear answer. But either way, the internet eagerly awaits some clarification.

·
Registered
Outback 2021 Premium 2.5L
473 Posts
I honestly wish they were a thing still...

by the way guys was the car by any chance spinning?

1 - 20 of 74 Posts