Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback
464 Posts
I agree this whole thing is not clear. Sorry, but there is no way some dude in his driveway is lifting the entire car - all 4 wheels at once - and balancing it on one floor jack while torqueing and jiggling and removing wheels.
My father was the head of the industrial design department of a company that designed and built lawn mowers (among other things). They once had to defend themselves in a lawsuit against a man who picked up a running push mower, using it to trim his hedges, losing multiple fingers in the process.

Underestimate people’s potential for idiocy at your own risk.

·
Registered
Current: 2021 Outback Onyx XT, 2013 Forester XT, 1990 VW Vanagon Camper. . Former: 2004 Forester XT
94 Posts
Underestimate people’s potential for idiocy at your own risk.
Oh I'm not saying somebody wouldn't try this, I just don't believe it would be physically possible. I'm sure there is a theoretical single balance point for the car, but pretty sure there is not structural support built in there for anybody to use that balance point in the real world. Then even if you could lift the car by the single point using a standard floor jack, once you start wrenching on it and removing wheels the center of gravity will shift and the whole thing's coming down. So even if somebody is dumb enough to try it, it wouldn't be a successful operation.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,960 Posts
+1, you'd have to at least produce an image for me to begin to believe this is even remotely possible.

·
Registered
'22 Outback Limited XT Abyss Blue
414 Posts
Jack stands.....yow - here's my nearly Darwin award

I had an experience with them. I was alone at home, with my English Rover sedan, all the wheels off, on 4 jack stands and I was WAY under it pulling a bell housing or whatever you call it for an auto trans. (This was back in the 80's)

I'd strung the phone cord out on the porch, and the phone rang, cuz I was the only one home. I cursed about 10 times as I snaked my way out from under the car, got over to the porch, and answered the phone.

It was a wrong number!

As I'm cursing some more, I was looking at the car, and it went eeeeeew-WHAM, down completely flat on the gravel driveway. It would have killed a mouse, completely flat on the body.

I have never trusted jack stands since (ignore it was a gravel driveway and I'm a dumazz)

But the BIG question is.......

WHO RANG THAT PHONE???
bloomz, it was me.

You're welcome!

If you're feeling grateful, a fifth of Jameson would be greatly appreciated. 😝

Seriously.... there are more than a few Darwin Award winners in the ground that used milk crates to jack up their cars. At least you used jack stands.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I agree this whole thing is not clear. Sorry, but there is no way some dude in his driveway is lifting the entire car - all 4 wheels at once - and balancing it on one floor jack while torqueing and jiggling and removing wheels. I took the original question to mean the neighbor was jacking up one SIDE of the car - left or right - with the floor jack positioned about midway on that side, like in between the two designated jackpoints. This would make some sense, as we normally rotate tires front and back, and I've often wondered if I could do that safely but haven't tried. The OP seemed to respond affirmatively that "yes indeed entire car was balanced on one point" but I took this to mean he didn't read the question clearly and therefore didn't give a clear answer. But either way, the internet eagerly awaits some clarification.
Hi,

Yes he had the entire side supported by a floor jack in the center of the vehicle, On a side note he did have an impact gun so it was very quick for him as he was done by the time I came back the other way. I was not sure if this part mattered but maybe it does

Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
2021 Outback Premium and 2021 Impreza
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Hi,

Yes he had the entire side supported by a floor jack in the center of the vehicle, On a side note he did have an impact gun so it was very quick for him as he was done by the time I came back the other way. I was not sure if this part mattered but maybe it does

Hopefully this helps
One side at a time :)

·
Registered
2020 Outback Premier 2.5i
1,209 Posts
Sometimes the easiest answer is the right one. Some sure stepped up to the creativity challenge!

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
The rest of the class was more creative and not limited by self-induced paradigms. Outside of the box thinkers....
It was more a matter of taking the actual words used literally - e.g. "entire car from one central point" to me means, well, the entire car from one central point .... :)

That one only took 24 hours to sort out.

You can bet that if the technique could ever work, NASCAR crews would have already figured out how to implement it.

·
Registered
1998 Outback Limited
125 Posts
I bought an MGB back in 1971. When I got out of the Army, was broke and drove it thru a couple of Maine winters. Once when jacking it from the rocker panel. heard a crunch. Was time to trad the car...

·
Registered
2020 Outback
464 Posts
It was more a matter of taking the actual words used literally - e.g. "entire car from one central point" to me means, well, the entire car from one central point .... :)
This for me. Literal words which were subsequently reiterated.

That, and as someone once said (George Carlin?) “Think how stupid the average person is, then realize half are even stupider that that!”

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,184 Posts
Is there still a designated lifting point at the center of the front crossmember?
<...>That, and as someone once said (George Carlin?) “Think how stupid the average person is, then realize half are even stupider that that!”
That would be true for the "median" person.

·
Registered
2020 Outback
464 Posts
That’s something you’ll need to take up with the author, not me. If it’s Carlin, you’re too late.

Not to even mention, if one were to substitute “average“ with “median”, I’d say the quote would lose its impact on the average person.;)

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
24 Posts
You can lift it (to put it on jack stands obviously) using only two points- the rear diff and the front crossmember, but I would never do it for more than the time it takes to put the stands under the car.
Yes, the front crossmember and rear diff are jacking points but I only use them to get each end of the car up while I put jack stands at the pinch weld locations where the OEM emergency jack would go. No way would I work on the car with a jack only at a center point.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,750 Posts
I dont see the point of doing a rotation one side at a time unless you have directional tires and are just switching from front to back. I just take the time to get all four off the ground and then do the rotation. If I am just switching from winter to summer tires I might do one end at a time.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,750 Posts
I did try to do a rotation once with just a floor jack under each end but it wasn't stable enough without jack stands.

21 - 40 of 74 Posts