Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 Outback Touring (CWP/JBNL)
174 Posts
Something like this ought to work quite well for raising the side of the vehicle by utilizing the proper pinch weld lifting points. Floor Jack Crossbeam I've been tempted to try one for quite a while. I've seen several brands but I would prefer one of the low-profile models. Anyone out there have experience with these? Would appreciate your comments.

·
Registered
35 Posts
would not be surprised if a small lexus crossover has the suspension travel and weight distribution of a small fwd economy sedan... which will go up on two wheels easily if jacked up a bit more than necessary via one of the specified front side seam jack points...

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,184 Posts
That’s something you’ll need to take up with the author, not me. If it’s Carlin, you’re too late.

Not to even mention, if one were to substitute “average“ with “median”, I’d say the quote would lose its impact on the average person.;)
Carlin would know it was a joke.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
Something like this ought to work quite well for raising the side of the vehicle by utilizing the proper pinch weld lifting points.
My technique, easily applied at both pinch welds, gets all four wheels off the ground at once, check locks, rotate wheels, done:

·
Registered
2020 Limted XT Black/Ivory
1,101 Posts
My technique, easily applied at both pinch welds, gets all four wheels off the ground at once, check locks, rotate wheels, done:
Once my garage (currently under construction) is complete and the floor sealed, a quickjack is one of the first orders of business.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I dont see the point of doing a rotation one side at a time unless you have directional tires and are just switching from front to back. I just take the time to get all four off the ground and then do the rotation. If I am just switching from winter to summer tires I might do one end at a time.
every car with 4 same spec nondirectional tires I've owned has a specified rotation circuit of front to back and back crossed over to front, which can be accomplished basically safely with the emergency jack and spare. lifting a side instead of a corner at a time requires three lifts instead of five.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,750 Posts
every car with 4 same spec nondirectional tires I've owned has a specified rotation circuit of front to back and back crossed over to front, which can be accomplished basically safely with the emergency jack and spare. lifting a side instead of a corner at a time requires three lifts instead of five.
Yeah, I guess that is okay if it's all you have. I would rather just do it all with two lifts and leave the spare where it is.

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,184 Posts
I do use a spare wheel to temporarily support one corner. It does need to be taken out and infalted once in a while, anyway. I also use a floor jack to lift the front at the crossmember. In the rear, I am afraid to lift by the differential, so the scissor jack is used.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
415 Posts
In the rear, I am afraid to lift by the differential, so
the scissor jack is used.
I lifted by the differential once, but was spooked by how much the rubber bushings deflected with the weight of the car. Just watch the them flex back into shape when lowering the vehicle. I found that with the right shaped wooden block I can lift on the differential support beam and not deflect any rubber.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .
God no! NEVER raise and work under the entire car or even under a wheel with a single portable jack. Not safe for many reasons. Only use jack as intended from the side of vehicle when changing or rotating tires and never, ever get under the vehicle unless using jackstands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I kind of figured. Thank you
That is exactly what he did, right in the center.
maybe they modified a jackpoint. I dont know, but when you take a wheel off suddenly the C/G changes... (from a pilot) I can see how a perfectly load bearing (not extended) jackstand in the center COULD, in theory, work as "the fourth" point. but must not have kids or pets.

·
Registered
4th & 5th 2.5L Outbacks: new '19 & '14 with 75k. Traded '[email protected] yr 112k, '[email protected] 155k, '[email protected] 155k
90 Posts
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .
Confused? He had the car completely off the ground with a single jack? Or only one SIDE of the vehicle. Jacking one SIDE in the center to rotate the tires front to back (the correct rotation for any AWD) is fine then lower and jack the other SIDE. I can't imagine any floor jack that could lift an entire vehicle off the ground with only one lift point?

·
Registered
4th & 5th 2.5L Outbacks: new '19 & '14 with 75k. Traded '[email protected] yr 112k, '[email protected] 155k, '[email protected] 155k
90 Posts
I dont see the point of doing a rotation one side at a time unless you have directional tires and are just switching from front to back. I just take the time to get all four off the ground and then do the rotation. If I am just switching from winter to summer tires I might do one end at a time.
THAT is the proper rotation for all AWD / 4WD vehicles: front to back, back to front, no crossover triangulating like on 2WD.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
6 Posts
Two things. One is assuming it had to have been lifted from the side is still assuming. Many people are idiots and we have all seen people push what is remotely believable. So if the OP stresses that entire vehicle was lifted from a single center point, why say he is wrong without having seen it first hand?
I have seen a few people do this with small FWD vehicles in lte 80s using this type of jack.

They were extremely ignorant and one guy destroyed the disc brakes on front of his Honda CRX but people do things like this.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
415 Posts
The owner’s manual makes the same distinction between unidirectional and non-unidirectional tires.
My 2020 came with non-unidirectional tires and my manual also recommends the "crossover triangulating" method shown above.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Limited
6 Posts
THAT is the proper rotation for all AWD / 4WD vehicles: front to back, back to front, no crossover triangulating like on 2WD.
Unless of course you follow the Subaru owners manual. But what does Subaru know, right? LOL.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Thoughts appreciated .
Never heard of car designed with a single lift point in center of frame, would be dangerous. Done 2 using cinder blocks

41 - 60 of 74 Posts