Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .
For all the reasons previously stated...very bad idea. I buy tires from a place that offers free tire rotations every 5000 miles. Just drive up, show proof of purchase (in the glove box), sit in the waiting room drinking their free coffee and eating the free popcorn from their machine, catch up on email or read something on your Kindle while waiting, or take a brisk walk in the neighborhood (up to an hour if it's busy) and be done with it! How long would it take you at home? Maybe less, but you will not have caught up on your mail or read a book during that time. And you don't even have to wash your hands. Geez! I do, however, do my own oil changes. My shop has a grease pit.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,750 Posts
THAT is the proper rotation for all AWD / 4WD vehicles: front to back, back to front, no crossover triangulating like on 2WD.
If Subaru starts stuffing you in the glove box of my Outback I will follow your directions. Until then I will continue to do it the correct way.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Very hard no on that. Off the top of my head, I don't know of any automobiles that are designed to be jacked from a center point. Even track cars with built in jack systems do so from the corners. Just too unstable to have a single jack point.
The old Volkswagon Beetle had a single jacking point just forward of the rear wheel on each side, but this is the only vehicle I have seen with less than 4 recommended jacking points. I have used the differential housing a central jacking point on old live axel vehicles, but I have never done that on a Subaru.
My suggestion is RTFM (Read The [Friendly] Manual).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am thinking this is not such a great idea but could be wrong ! Yesterday when I was walking my dogs- I noticed
a neighbor was rotating his tires but had the car lifted in the center only (Floor jack). Can this be done ?

It was a small Lexus SUV so I figure it must weigh around the same as an Outback

Thoughts appreciated .
I honestly wish they were a thing still...

by the way guys was the car by any chance spinning?

View attachment 516253
Discount tire rotates for free, anyone., any car.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx Edition XT
263 Posts
I used to do this with my Jeep Grand Cherokee. My Jeep had after-market rock rails. Solid steel. The weight of the vehicle was distributed. This is the only way I would use a single jack point for one side of a modern vehicle. I may buy rock rails for my Outback, I would only use these as a single jack point after I convinced myself they were strong enough and had discussed it with the manufacturer of the aftermarket rock rails. On jeepgarage.org I posted photos of what happens when a service center does not jack a vehicle at its stated jack points. I believe jacking a unibody constructed vehicle from the wrong spot could cause irreparable damage to the vehicle. I should add, once I added my “Rocky Road” Rock Rails, this was the only surface I used my floor jack on, that’s how much I trusted them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thoughts appreciated .
Did you check the Jack? It may be one with extendable arms. One big floor Jack four touch points on the frame. I used one for years until someone stole it out of my storage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you mean lifting the entire car from one central point? I know I would not do it. One side at a time for me. And jackstands.
I'm sure this is the same guy that disregard the ladder's instructions of not stepping beyond this step, and fixes his electricity issues at home standing knee high in water!

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thoughts appreciated .
I once owned a BAJ (Big Axx’dJack) with four individually articulating arms that were extendable. I bought it from Navy Surplus at the same auction that I bought a beat up Dodge Power Wagon at a joint service property disposal facility near Yokota AFB west of Tokyo.

I called that Jack ‘Ralph Nader’…..because when I used it there was always someone walking his dog stopping by to teIl me I was going to kill myself or damage my car if I lifted it that way. Once I showed them…..they wanted to borrow it.

I could put that Jack Under the car, or truck, at the approximated center of balance would be and extend the arms to reach four proper Jack points. Then up she went. I’ve used that same Jack on the regular that aforementioned Power Wagon, a 1969 Datsun 1600 truck, a 1960’s era Datsun Super Saloon, a 1987 Ford F-250 w/6.9 IH diesel, an 80s era Chevy Vega, a Volvo DL sedan, VW GTI Rabbit, a fleet of 22 Dodge Tradesmen 2500
Vans used for HVAC, my daughters Lexus IS 250 and….my 2008 Subaru XT. It was stolen from my storage on 2011 and I have not been the same since.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
I once owned a BAJ (Big Axx’dJack) with four individually articulating arms that were extendable. I
The difference here is that the span of support on the vehicle is very wide and multi-point, and I presume it's likewise on the floor.

Nothing the matter with a narrow column in the center, so long as it is strong enough to support the vehicle plus you working on it doing normal operations. Service bays are often like this, after all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The difference here is that the span of support on the vehicle is very wide and multi-point, and I presume it's likewise on the floor.

Nothing the matter with a narrow column in the center, so long as it is strong enough to support the vehicle plus you working on it doing normal operations. Service bays are often like this, after all.
Yea, the jack was substantial. I suppose it was over four feet in length, and If key
Menmory serves, it had 8 ton lift capacity. It was very much like the Capital H shaped lifts in service bays, except you could roll it under a large truck and get all four wheels up in seconds. I still used jack stands though because it would leak a bit of hydraulic fluid under load. I picked up my International Loadstar with a full split boom Holmes
600 wrecker and it barely groaned.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
7,813 Posts
I still used jack stands though because it would leak a bit of hydraulic fluid under load.
Whether or not it leaked, it should never be the primary device that you depend on for maintaining the vehicle in the air. Any hydraulic device can fail, and should only be used for lifting it, not maintaining it safely while you work under it. Your use of jack stands was the correct way to do this!

·
Registered
2022 Outback Premium
18 Posts
The old Volkswagon Beetle had a single jacking point just forward of the rear wheel on each side, but this is the only vehicle I have seen with less than 4 recommended jacking points. I have used the differential housing a central jacking point on old live axel vehicles, but I have never done that on a Subaru.
My suggestion is RTFM (Read The [Friendly] Manual).
Yep, every Toyota I’ve owned has center jacking points in the front and rear. This includes an ’11 Sienna, ’14 Sienna, ’14 Prius, ‘06 Prius, and my mother-in-law’s ‘12 Camry. Most vehicles don’t, but some do.

Sounds like the Outback does? I hope so, it’s a really convenient way of rotating tires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jack stands.....yow - here's my nearly Darwin award

I had an experience with them. I was alone at home, with my English Rover sedan, all the wheels off, on 4 jack stands and I was WAY under it pulling a bell housing or whatever you call it for an auto trans. (This was back in the 80's)

I'd strung the phone cord out on the porch, and the phone rang, cuz I was the only one home. I cursed about 10 times as I snaked my way out from under the car, got over to the porch, and answered the phone.

It was a wrong number!

As I'm cursing some more, I was looking at the car, and it went eeeeeew-WHAM, down completely flat on the gravel driveway. It would have killed a mouse, completely flat on the body.

I have never trusted jack stands since (ignore it was a gravel driveway and I'm a dumazz)

But the BIG question is.......

WHO RANG THAT PHONE???
Only God can do such stuff...an angel rang that phone.

·
Premium Member
2020 White Limited Hybrid
371 Posts
Only God can do such stuff...an angel rang that phone.
My point exactly - Angels have intervened in my life, and saved it, on several occasions. Somebody up there likes me.

Reactions: TomB985
61 - 74 of 74 Posts