Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5i, 2009 Forrester 2.5 sohc
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dumb question, when you order rotors from Rockauto, do you get two or one per item? Its not clear on the website to me. I've never ordered rotors from them.

·
Registered
'03 outback limited, '01 Outback Limited, '01 Legacy L wagon, '96 Legacy Brighton wagon
2,256 Posts
1 per, as far as it looks to me. I've never seen them sold any other way.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts
the picture of the item at the right usually denotes pairs or singles. (I think)

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
If any of the rotors are sold in pairs, it will state it in the part description. Otherwise they are only listed as single rotors. Cross-drilled & slotted rotors will have a left & right version, each having to be added separately to your cart.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rotor and Brake kits come with both, not sure just rotors should be able to scroll and check the quantity of the order.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With shipping rotors don't seem to be a bargain at RockAuto. I will probably go with Autozone or NAPA.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,082 Posts
With shipping rotors don't seem to be a bargain at RockAuto. I will probably go with Autozone or NAPA.
They're not exactly lightweight. With 2 in a box (they'll pack both in a box with the pad kit if you order all together) it nears the "overweight" classification. Even if they aren't overweight, the weight comes into play when calculating the transport cost.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Limited CVT
20 Posts
I just ordered all 4 corners new brake pads/rotors. Shipping was only $18! I looked online at Advance Auto and AutoZone, and couldn't come anywhere close to the total price (including shipping) that I paid at RockAuto. I even have a 20% off coupon for Advance.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited
203 Posts
My experience using RockAuto over the years has been pretty good. I haven't ordered anything in awhile but last time was rotors and pads. I remember liking the variety of options, some quality stuff, all at good prices. And shipping was reasonable because sometimes heaver stuff isn't too costly to ship as long as the package isn't huge. For example sometimes shipping a golf club which weighs very little costs too much especially if box is over 48". Just an FYI. But I use the nearby Advance also for guick stuff and batteries if needed. We got the whole array of auto parts store close by but Rockauto is good by me. Good values to be had. And I'm picky. Good luck!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,317 Posts

I just did front rotors and pads on one of my cars.

napa/ autozone/ advance, all needed a day or 2 to bring in painted rotors from outlying warehouses.

I also priced them out with amazon, rockauto, and

partstrain. and partstain.com got the order. for painted centrics. and centric pads.

(I wish I tried to round up a discount code).

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,144 Posts
Plus if you have an issue...Napa is great abut it. AZ also...but ... with care.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I maybe wrong, but ive felt unless you go to a super performance brand, a rotor is a rotor.

·
Registered
2008 Outback 2.5
959 Posts
I maybe wrong, but ive felt unless you go to a super performance brand, a rotor is a rotor.
... and unless it's warped, you don't need to replace it or have it surfaced. Even if you've worn a groove into it by not changing your pads soon enough so long as they meet the minimum thickness, you don't need to replace it, just put new pads in and they will self-level out the surface.

·
Registered
'01 OBW 3.0 VDC 184,000 Miles '19 OB 2.5 Base <2,000 Miles - Formerly '14 Impreza Sedan 2.0 5spd 66,000 Miles at trade-in
330 Posts
... and unless it's warped, you don't need to replace it or have it surfaced. Even if you've worn a groove into it by not changing your pads soon enough so long as they meet the minimum thickness, you don't need to replace it, just put new pads in and they will self-level out the surface.
THIS^^^
When I went to do the brakes on my new to me OB I found what I thought to be a fatally deep groove in the front driver side rotor. I tried unsuccessfully to remove the rotor- bolts firmly aged in place. My buddy who is decades more wrenched than me said "measure it- if it is in spec, throw a new pad on and keep rolling. The pad will wear into the groove and just consider it more surface area for quicker stopping." I think I have a picture knocking around here somewhere.....

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts