Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Vibration and shuddering in the brake pedal when slowing down at highway speeds. Feels just like rotor warpage. Only 7k miles. Not hard on the brakes. Tempted to look for a decent aftermarket option myself but really should have the dealer check it out. Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
2,643 Posts
WOW, definatly take it to the dealer. Nothing in that system should be failing at 7K mi. Which model do you have? If I recall correctly, they use smaller rotors on at least one trim. FWIW, my last ride (VW Routan) was NOTORIOUS for warping rotors because they were undersized and overheat. I'd eat a set every 20K or so. I tried increasingly "better" rotors but it was never cured.

p.s. The quick test was to get up to speed and then step on the brake with your hands off the wheel. If the wheel shook side to side, the problem was rotors. If the wheel stayed vibration/ movement free,it was something else in the drive train.

·
Registered
2020 Onyx XT Autumn Metallic Green 3/13/20
51 Posts
Just for your information, I had a similar problem on a previous (2005 Saturn Vue) vehicle. Thought it was a warped rotor, but it turned out to be uneven transference of brake pad material to rotor. The test was to remove rotor and give it a light sanding to remove possible high spot(s). Reinstall and test drive. In my situation, that resolved the brake judder.
While you may not want to or be able to undertake this test, I bring it up because there are other possible causes for what you are experiencing.
One of the things I learned was that if it is a deposition problem, a possible resolution was to come to speed and then brake hard until almost stopped. This would have the affect of wiping the rotor clean.
A cause of the transference is to keep the brake applied when the rotor is hot, holding the pad in one position. It would help to have the vehicle move a little to keep the brake pad from staying on the same spot on the rotor while the brakes are hot.

Research brake judder.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Touring RIP 20 Limited XT
1,301 Posts
Warranty should cover it as long as there isn't abuse. I had my rotors resurfaced and eventually replaced on my WRX under warranty. I didn't abuse it, but you know the rep WRX owners have.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Touring XT, in Crystal White Pearl
1,029 Posts
Warranty should cover it as long as there isn't abuse. I had my rotors resurfaced and eventually replaced on my WRX under warranty. I didn't abuse it, but you know the rep WRX owners have.
Hey, if they are mistrustful of you for being a WRX owner, just say, "Well, it's not as if I was an STi driver...."

On the original topic, most of my cases of warped rotors have been attributable to mis-torqued (uneven torque) lug nuts. I don't know if he OP had recently had a tire rotation, or some other occasion to have the wheels off?
Sometimes a simple re-torquing of them will relieve the stress and the rotors will essentially "unwarp". But sometimes the damage has been done, and it is necessary to have the rotors turned. Of course, this takes some material off, so the remaining lifetime of the rotor is reduced a bit. In any case, try re-torquing first, as even if you are going to get the rotors turned, it will be good for them to have spent a bit of time with the lug nuts properly torqued....

Some car brands (and their dealers) have a policy of not turning brake rotors - the rotors are either still good, or the rotors need to be replaced. But Subaru service depts. will turn brake rotors. (I think it was my wife's old Volvo, where the Volvo dealer would replace rotors, but wouldn't turn them. I seem to think this was Volvo policy, not just that particular dealer.)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I slammed the brakes a few times and it seems to have helped. One time there was an odd high pitch squeal. 🤔
Did you get the issue resolved?

I am having the same issue. Slight vibration when braking from highways speeds. It is at the dealer right now. They said the issue is still there after resurfacing the rotors. They need more time to figure it out. Onyx XT 13K miles.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you get the issue resolved?

I am having the same issue. Slight vibration when braking from highways speeds. It is at the dealer right now. They said the issue is still there after resurfacing the rotors. They need more time to figure it out. Onyx XT 13K miles.
No never resolved it. If I stomp on the brakes every once in a while it will go away for a bit. Don’t know if it’s some kind of build up or what.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Outback Onyx XT
151 Posts
It is usually build up caused by people riding brakes hard to stops, or tailgating, or anything else that heats up the brakes, then while sitting at a stop transferring brake pad material to the rotor.

Also most people don't properly bed in new brakes, causing the same thing down the road.

Doing a bed in procedure, multiple hard decelerations, then driving to allow the brakes to cool, can usually clear up brake shudder.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I had to bring my limited xt in a few weeks ago for warped rotors. Dealer gave me a loaner and cut thr rotors for free. Said if it happens again they will replace them. I have 13k on the car currently, put about 2k on the cut rotors, haven't had any shimming yet

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,451 Posts
No never resolved it. If I stomp on the brakes every once in a while it will go away for a bit. Don’t know if it’s some kind of build up or what.
Did you take it to the dealership? What you're doing seems foolish given the warranty and expectation of a new car being like new. This is not normal.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don’t know if I’d consider it foolish. It’s just out of the way to take it to the dealer. And they work fine. I’m handy so when the time comes I’ll just replace them unless it becomes unbearable I’ll make sure it goes in before the warranty is up.

I read somewhere else someone had the same problem and the dealer just replaced the rotors. Said per policy they won’t cut them. I hope it’s not in this thread as I’m too lazy to pan up.

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT, 2013 Outback Limited 3.6R
613 Posts
Weird. Turning rotors at 7, 10K, low-miles should be a non-issue, unless someone really went nuts, with braking, it's hard to imagine enough wear, at that stage.
Further along, no question, say if your rotors are at <50% wear-left (say at a brake-service pad-change), I'm sure there are plenty of dealers and brake-shops that will want to replace them (given that the first set of pads went through >= half-life of the rotors, and there's a bit of margin in there, too).

Our 2010 OB had problems with buildup, pretty often, and our 2013 (same brakes, both 6-cyl) seems to have similar now, too, as it gets driven in the mountains, quite a bit (to/from skiing, ski town).
I never had this happen, on older OBs, back into the earlier 2000's, and mid-late 90's. Perhaps Subaru went to a different pad compound, at some point?
As someone mentioned, you can clean them up, but it's a BIG project, to clean up all 4 (two surfaces each, and the backsides are partially obscured, unless you pull the rotors fully), IME/IMO...

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited
206 Posts
Did you have the 6000 mile service done? They take a look at things or at least my Employer/Service does this.
Being that you can clear it with a SHARP application of the brakes, I would look at a caliper hanging up or LACK of Lubrication on the sliders and pins. I think any shop would look at tis first anyway, and tat is were I would start.

·
Registered
2021 Outback Touring XT
37 Posts
Here is a good explanation of brake vibration and its causes. Kind of a long read, the article starts about halfway down the page.
The Final Word on Brake Vibration and “Warped” Rotors

FWIW- if I encounter any brake vibration, I usually change out the rotors and usually the pads. I usually do the work myself and its not a big process.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts