Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The dealer recommended I needed a new tranny last fall (@59,500 miles ) so I reluctantly let them install despite the fact I had never had a problem with the transmission. I did it pretty much for the new fluid. What I took it in for was the steering knock sound TSB fixed.

I took it again this spring to have the tranny install reviewed and again tried to get the steering knock TSB done. Now they said it was the steering u-joint which they replaced 2 weeks later. I have only driven the car (winter car) 200 miles since we picked it up from the dealer 2 months ago.

3000 miles after the new tranny on the way to work this morning it starts slipping in gear; then all of the light on the dashboard came on. Now I am getting a rough idle and slipping in gear constantly.

I opened the hood and was surprised to see this bolt in the center of the pic working its way out. Any ideas?

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim Tread

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,514 Posts
The bolt shown if I'm oriented correctly on the picture is on the valve cover.

Nothing to do with the transmission.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it is attached to a sensor on the DS of the engine block. Knock sensor? I hope it is not a valve cover bolt.........When it cools down tonight I will look into further; I made it home at least.

Pulled the OBD code P0304 which says misfire on cylinder 4

Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,724 Posts
Is that the bolt that holds the coil pack on number 4 cylinder in?

If so this could be the cause of the misfire on cylinder 4.

Seagrass

·
Super Moderator
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
2,724 Posts
That is an 8 mm bolt and you need a 12mm socket or spanner.

This bolt holds the coil pack on the spark plug and is almost definitely the cause of your misfire on cylinder four.

If you have a 1/4” drive socket set, the 12mm socket and ratchet should fit on nicely.

Seagrass

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Really appreciate the help! 12 mm did the job and fit perfectly. The problem was my large arm did not fit in there too well. Had to jack it up and put on jack stands. I cant imagine changing all of them; at least on the DS. The intital symptom of sputtering had me thinking transmission........ Would the dealer have had to remove the coil packs to install the new steering u-joint? I have only been 200 miles since last time @ dealer. I find it strange the bolt came out! PIA going to dealer since they are 100 miles away. Good thing it was on the DS; if on the other side of the block the bolt would have fallen out. Running like a top now I have just have to clear the codes. Thought they might clear up but do I need to disconnect battery to clear codes? Or do I need OBD reader to clear?

·
Brucey
'17 3.6
12,514 Posts
Really appreciate the help! 12 mm did the job and fit perfectly. The problem was my large arm did not fit in there too well. Had to jack it up and put on jack stands. I cant imagine changing all of them; at least on the DS. The intital symptom of sputtering had me thinking transmission........ Would the dealer have had to remove the coil packs to install the new steering u-joint? I have only been 200 miles since last time @ dealer. I find it strange the bolt came out! PIA going to dealer since they are 100 miles away. Good thing it was on the DS; if on the other side of the block the bolt would have fallen out. Running like a top now I have just have to clear the codes. Thought they might clear up but do I need to disconnect battery to clear codes? Or do I need OBD reader to clear?
If you don't have a code reader and don't want to disconnect the battery you can probably take it to a local advanced auto zoo and they have a reader for free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts