Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All- I've not visited this forum since my Turbo failed in 2008. The forum was very helpful last time so hope I can get some help again.

My Outback had suddenly developed a rough idle. Only noticed it at idle, out on the highway at full throttle all seemed well. No hesitation, noise etc.

Taking the vehicle in for a oil change today I'd asked that they check on the rough idle as well.

They called a while after dropping off and told me there was a mis-fire on 2 and 4(I don't know what codes) and asked if they could take a look at the timing belt which I ok'd.

A few hours later I get a call and there is no compression in 2&4. Likely culprit is failed turbo and debris.

Any comments? No way driving the car above idle it felt like it was only running on 2 cylinders. If the turbo fails, I expect big blockage, big drop in power etc. I guess it is possible, but I'm very skeptical. Thanks all! Mark

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
I wouldn't expect the car to be able to maintain an idle at all with no compression in 2 cylinders.

Something doesn't sound right. How well do you know this shop?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question- I've been going to them for a while, great reputation as local independent shop, etc. but I'm not sure at this point. Thank you for the comments.

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,136 Posts
I could understand a belt slipped one tooth on a cam, but this info 'feels' all wrong about the loss of compression and grenaded turbo - if it ran, I'd expect CEL on and limp mode.

If the car will drive, maybe get a second opinion? At least have the tech there explain in person what's going on but,it just seems wrong.

post your city in case someone here knows of a good mechanic.

·
Registered
2003 LL Bean Outback H6 and 2019 Outback Base
514 Posts
Do you have a Subaru dealership you TRUST ?

I would bring it there. Sometimes we have to " bit the bullet" and bring to Dealersip............only if trustworthy..........

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Failed in 08, so 5 years of driving, and the debris just took out the engine? This seems unlikely for a rough idle. There are occasional reports of rough idle related to burn valves which would be seen in a leak down test, usually on 4.

Is the rough idle in gear only, or also in park?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I could understand a belt slipped one tooth on a cam, but this info 'feels' all wrong about the loss of compression and grenaded turbo - if it ran, I'd expect CEL on and limp mode.

If the car will drive, maybe get a second opinion? At least have the tech there explain in person what's going on but,it just seems wrong.

post your city in case someone here knows of a good mechanic.
Sorry- In typing up the problem I'm sure I missed a few things. And probably a few translation errors between mechanic to counter person to my post. CEL and Cruise light are on. The car actually drives fine above idle so yes I'm picking it up today and will try another opinion. Thanks.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Failed in 08, so 5 years of driving, and the debris just took out the engine? This seems unlikely for a rough idle. There are occasional reports of rough idle related to burn valves which would be seen in a leak down test, usually on 4.

Is the rough idle in gear only, or also in park?
Rough Idle is same in gear and in neutral. I am troubled by debris comments as well. I'm still not sure how turbo can fail and not be obviously blocking the intake and making a great deal of noise...Thanks

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,447 Posts
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a tight exhaust valve as previously suggested, maybe resulting in low compression in a cylinder... Less inclined to believe the same for 2 cylinders and I flat out don't buy the involvement of the turbo.

Do you know the specific codes reported by the car ECU?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if this turned out to be a tight exhaust valve as previously suggested, maybe resulting in low compression in a cylinder... Less inclined to believe the same for 2 cylinders and I flat out don't buy the involvement of the turbo.

Do you know the specific codes reported by the car ECU?
I will ask for the CEL keys when I pick it up....Thank you...

·
Premium Member
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
18,136 Posts
if for some reason they are reluctant to tell you the codes, or you mistrust the info, most auto parts shops, like AdvanceAuto or PepBoys, etc. will scan the codes at no charge.

It may also be helpful to scan, note the codes, have the ecu cleared, then scan and note/compare what codes come immediately back. But at least get us the present codes.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
Thanks-Boulder, CO.
This makes it easy - Flatirons will be your best bet for an dealer repair, but Super Rupair will be the best independent shop to check it out if you don't want to pay dealer prices.

Who looked at it initially?

Tom

1 - 13 of 13 Posts